HiRez Poll Vivaldi - La Stravaganza, 12 Violin Concertos [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Vivaldi (Rachel Podger) - LA STRAVAGANZA, 12 VIOLIN CONCERTOS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Let's start the year off with some Classical titles! Thanks to Brian Moura for these suggestions! PLEASE, as always, do not vote in this poll unless you have these discs. (i.e. Do not vote a '1' because you do not like classical music)

Vivaldi: La Stravaganza, 12 Violin Concertos – Rachel Podger, Violinist with Arte dei Suonatori (Channel Classics CCS SA 19503) – SACD Surround

I rank this as one of the finest recordings on any format, ever. Podger's playing is divine, as always, but goodness, this is an amazing sounding disc!

Last edited:
Hi

A couple of years ago when this 2 discr came out and shortly before Felix reviewed it another old school Mag had it as album of the month and didn't even indentify it as a multich hires release.

I guess the name "Stereophile" pretty much explains why. Have they changed their name yet?

Peter M.

petermwilson said:
Hi

A couple of years ago when this 2 discr came out and shortly before Felix reviewed it another old school Mag had it as album of the month and didn't even indentify it as a multich hires release.

I guess the name "Stereophile" pretty much explains why. Have they changed their name yet?

Peter M.
Why? Stereo means solid and more channels makes it more solid.:D

Kal

Wow, still a perfect 10 by all that own it. Where would I find this title? I don't even want any more classical music, but I may have to spring for this one.

Chris

Wow, still a perfect 10 by all that own it. Where would I find this title? I don't even want any more classical music, but I may have to spring for this one.

Chris

I bought mine at the Tower Records store near me. It's also available online at Tower http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2855408&title=Vivaldi%3a+La+Stravaganza+%2f+Rachel+Podger%2c+Arte+dei+Suonatori or at CD Universe http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6029859&style=music&cart=353437234&BAB=I

This is a true reference quality SACD.

Hate to bring it down But really this disc has brought it up fo me. Not being a big Vivaldi fan, I find I play this disc more that I thought I would. The sound is fantastic. I almost bought it twice. I though there was a new 2 cd set by the same lable. I grab it and was standing in line when I realized, I had this one at home. Just think if there had been more titles by Rachel Podger with Arte dei Suonatori.

OK, I understand that the sound is fantastic on this one... But how is the 5.1-mix? I find almost all classical multichannel recordings too traditional with only ambience in the rear channels. I want my 5.1-discs a bit more adventurous than that.

A good classical recording in this respect is the new one from AIX Records
Chamber Music Palisades
Shostakovich / Piano Quintet Op. 57
Debussy / Sonata for Flute, Viola & Harp
Brockman / Feast of Fives

//Uffe

OK, I understand that the sound is fantastic on this one... But how is the 5.1-mix? I find almost all classical multichannel recordings too traditional with only ambience in the rear channels. I want my 5.1-discs a bit more adventurous than that.
Understood. However, many of us do not, preferring a semblance of a real stage/audience perspective.

I suggest that you look at some of the Tacet and 2L releases. Excellent quality, excellent performances and more of the perspective that you want.

Kal

Sadly, ambience only.

Just out of curiousity: why would one want anything else in the rears than the wonderful sound of the ambience of the hall wherein the recording was made?

Edit: For a recording of this type, that is.

This one has not lost any of its luster for me over time. It is still that good, all around.

Just out of curiousity: why would one want anything else in the rears than the wonderful sound of the ambience of the hall wherein the recording was made?

Edit: For a recording of this type, that is.

Simply beacause me and my "descrete" buddies prefer all recordings descrete, independant the type of recording.

Have you heard the example I gave:
Debussy / Sonata for Flute, Viola & Harp
Brockman / Feast of Fives

It is the "same" type of recording than this La Stravaganza, it is descrete and I love it.

Are there any true descrete recordings out there that you really like? Just curious...

//Uffe

Simply beacause me and my "descrete" buddies prefer all recordings descrete, independant the type of recording.
What does "descrete" mean to you? Are you trying to say that you want the music sources to surround you?

Again, the best examples of those are on the TaceT label.

Kal

What does "descrete" mean to you? Are you trying to say that you want the music sources to surround you?

Again, the best examples of those are on the TaceT label.

Kal

Thanks for the tip where to find what I am looking for.

Descrete for me is when some elements of the soundscape are exclusively to be found in the rears (or in the center).

//Uffe

Slightly bemused that this title features so high up in the QQ Polls.. when it doesn't have an active/discrete surround mix but is the usual Classical music "ambient" mix..?!?

Here's the beguiling stats..

9.46 Vivaldi (Rachel Podger)
LA STRAVAGANZA, 12 VIOLIN CONCERTOS SACD
Total - 10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1
..13.. - 7 - 5 -1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0

:yikes

Back