Carpenters The Singles 1969-1981 in Multichannel SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadtrade

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
A&M Hybrid Multi-Channel Stereo SACD $17.99
The definitive single-SACD collection of the Carpenter's hits, featuring an incredible new surround sound mix produced by Richard Carpenter and mixed by legendary engineer Al Schmitt.

UH OH. This blurb from Elusive disc. Al makes the worst surround mixes, they can be so very bland. Maybe someone at CES has heard this already and can make a statement.

quadtrade said:
A&M Hybrid Multi-Channel Stereo SACD $17.99
The definitive single-SACD collection of the Carpenter's hits, featuring an incredible new surround sound mix produced by Richard Carpenter and mixed by legendary engineer Al Schmitt.

UH OH. This blurb from Elusive disc. Al makes the worst surround mixes, they can be so very bland. Maybe someone at CES has heard this already and can make a statement.
I won't be buying this, but I disagree about Al. Diana Krall's Girl In The Other Room has a nice mix.

It is supposed to be out Tuesday the 11th. I also like Al Schmitt's work. The new Diana Krall Live In Montreal DVD is outstanding.

daved64 said:

It's in stock at Elusive Disc's web store. They routinely get SACD and DVD-A titles a few days before the in-store release date.

As for Universal Music's New Formats web site, it's a bit out of date. Their official release date list does indeed show the Carpenters SACD out on Tuesday 1/11/05.

I picked it up at Best Buy today. (Tuesday, 1/11) They had several copies and they rarely have several copies of ANY SACD. Sticker said $13.99 - It rang up at $14.99. Associate corrected the price.

All the gems I wanted with a few tracks that will cause me to utilize my "skip" button. e.g. "Please Mr. Postman"

I Picked it up too.. it was priced 14.99 and labeled as such. The Mix is good. It is very open sounding with some sparse but good discreet use of the rears. The fidelity is very good especially with the voice tracks. They did up the bass noticably but to me it sounds better that way.

Picked this up at BB also for $15. I was very pleased with the surround mix. I thought the surrounds were used very effectively. Plenty of discrete action without being overbearing in the rears. My favorite track was Ticket to Ride. I have a feeling most of this was re-recorded for this mix. Some tracks do show some age of the sound at the time, but others are fresh with Karens voice nicely anchored in the center. Some would criticize the Carpenters as being too pop and sappy, but anyone with a ear for music would recognize there are some great songs here and Karen Carpenter had one of the best voices of all time. What a shame she died before she could sing the standards with the best of them.

Got this today from amazon.com (sick of waiting for Canadian releases).
Although this is probably nails on a chalkboard for some, I find something unabashedly innocent and "70's" about this band.
First and foremost this band was about Karen's voice and this is the standout thing in the surround mix. Beautifully detailed in the centre of the mix with nice subtle surround music backing. Richard Carpenter is credited with the surround mix with AL and if you are expecting any edge...look elsewhere.
All the hits...the final word...exactly as I wanted them to be... (y)

dave1216 said:
Picked this up at BB also for $15. I was very pleased with the surround mix. I thought the surrounds were used very effectively. Plenty of discrete action without being overbearing in the rears. My favorite track was Ticket to Ride. I have a feeling most of this was re-recorded for this mix. Some tracks do show some age of the sound at the time, but others are fresh with Karens voice nicely anchored in the center. Some would criticize the Carpenters as being too pop and sappy, but anyone with a ear for music would recognize there are some great songs here and Karen Carpenter had one of the best voices of all time. What a shame she died before she could sing the standards with the best of them.

Ticket to Ride is very good in SACD Surround along with some of the latter cuts on the disc. Very nice. Thumbs up.

After listening to this disc a few times now I think the mix is really good. There are a few parts that are kind of drenched in reverb but over all I can't imagine a mix more fitting to the this type of music. And being the huge Carpenters fan that I am, I'm positive this disc will get repeated plays. I really like Ticket To Ride, Superstar and my personal fave is Hurting Each Other. Karen's voice is just haunting. It's great fun to listen to the center channel just to hear her with the rhythm section.(y)

Bob Romano said:
After listening to this disc a few times now I think the mix is really good. There are a few parts that are kind of drenched in reverb but over all I can't imagine a mix more fitting to the this type of music. And being the huge Carpenters fan that I am, I'm positive this disc will get repeated plays. I really like Ticket To Ride, Superstar and my personal fave is Hurting Each Other. Karen's voice is just haunting. It's great fun to listen to the center channel just to hear her with the rhythm section.(y)

Yes, it has some very nice Surround mixes here. I think it will score well on the Hi Rez Spotlight poll.

I bought this primarily for my wife, but there are a few of the songs that I like also. The mix wasnt what I would call aggresive, but overall I enjoyed the disk and thought it was fantastic sounding.

I think the disk sounds fantastic, very clear. I've listened to it mainly in 5.1, but did listen to the first 5 songs in stereo over my headphones. Again, very clear-sounding. Some 5.1 mixes I found to be quite good, with certain guitars and percussion effects appearing in the rears. An Karen's voice is so clear you can even picture her singing technique while she is singing if you center on that.

John the Depot Dude said:
Has anyone seen this in Canada yet?

precisely why i ordered it from the US...not sure what is up with Universal Canada but it ain't good!
picked up the new EJ - Peachtree Road in US this past week as well, have still not seen it at retail in Canada...

John the Depot Dude said:
I'll give the Carpenters another week before getting it from Amazon US..

Either way, you'll really enjoy this one when you get it. They did a fine job on the 5.1 mix and the disc.

Finally arrived (one copy!) at my Fry's in San Marcos yesterday and I picked it up. Thoroughly enjoyable, especially when Karen's backing vocals are spread around the soundfield.

Clark

Back