HiRez Poll Cooper, Alice - BILLION DOLLAR BABIES [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Alice Cooper - BILLION DOLLAR BABIES

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Alice Billions Front.jpg
Alice Billions Back.jpg

Last edited:
I gave it an '8'. A repro of the original bill that came w/ the LP would've netted a '9'. ;)
Still, a real fun disc! Nice to see the original green WB label on the disc.

A 9 from me - I think the two cooper titles are , er, Killer. (sorry about that - couldn't help myself).
The only reason it didn't net a ten was because I still, in all honesty, have yet to hear that perfect disc. And it is "unlinked", so is technically out of spec.
Bonus material is also good, and all in all a very good job has been done here. Nice to have some live material of the man at his peak, and the video for "Elected" is always fun.

A great buy, and highly recommended.

neil wilkes said:
A 9 from me - I think the two cooper titles are , er, Killer. (sorry about that - couldn't help myself).
The pun is good, but you mentioning it makes me realize how much I want that title on m-c DVD-A. Man, I'd "Love It To Death"!!! :D

To much reverb for me - too many "version variations". Granted that it sounds REALLY similar to the old CD-4 Quad mix, and I never much cared for that one.....

...this title is the worst surround mix in my "modern" collection. I guess you can say I added -2 for that alone. For this title, I still go back to the 2 channel mix.

I haven't listened to my DCD-A or CD-4 LP of BDB in a while, but from what I remember the mixes were similar, but the versions were not. Like Chicago's 2 titles, The DVD-A uses the stereo version to mix from. The CD-4 is a totally unique version of the album, different lyrics, alternate take, and an unfaded song from what I remember. Any big Cooper fans out there, you owe it to yourself to get a copy of the CD-4 LP or Q8. I can't compare Muscle of Love Stereo to Quad, don't have it in CD-4 or Q8. Yet.

It's been a while since I played either the cd-4 or dvda of this title....but I do remember the cd-4 having a wrap around quad feel to it, whereas the dvda had alot less going on in the rears...I will play them both again before voting..

Love it.

The subtle differences on some tracks, mainly 'Raped And Freezin'' make it all new again.

I used to drive my parents nuts with the LP... now I'm doing the same to my kids with the DVD-A. :)

Great fun disc.

I gave this a 6 because I recollect that it was way too timid a mix. You have to listen for a while before you can determine whether it rises above the dreck that silverline put out much of the time. Of course it does, it is very enjoyable, but didn't quite cut it for me. Waiting patiently to hear the cd-4.

Just got this thanks to Haikubass!!! (y)

Never really got into Alice back in the old days, and I passed on this disc when it was in the local stores (arghhh). Really love Unfinshed Sweet, Generation Landslide, & I Love the Dead. There is a lot of reverb, but it suits the music. I will vote after a few more listens....

I had read this thread before I got the disc and noted the comments about the quad mix, and wasn't expecting too much - but I'm pleasantly suprised. I think the DVD-A is great.

I'd love to hear the quad mix, but I don't have a copy -:(.

I haven't listened to my DCD-A or CD-4 LP of BDB in a while, but from what I remember the mixes were similar, but the versions were not. Like Chicago's 2 titles, The DVD-A uses the stereo version to mix from. The CD-4 is a totally unique version of the album, different lyrics, alternate take, and an unfaded song from what I remember. Any big Cooper fans out there, you owe it to yourself to get a copy of the CD-4 LP or Q8. I can't compare Muscle of Love Stereo to Quad, don't have it in CD-4 or Q8. Yet.

After finally hearing a conversion of the CD-4 - a couple of things of note:

Vocals are anchored in the front in the DVD-A.
The DVD-A has noticeable fade outs on some tracks, that are not there on the CD-4, e.g. listen to the end of Generation Landslide going into Sick Things, quite a bit has been cut.
Different versions (as stated above)..

I still like the DVD-A, but I also like the CD-4..

7. Some might think this was/is very way out and adventurous. To me, it's very commercial and designed to alienate parents. Today, it would be more to alienate grandparents and greatgrandparents. lol!! It has grown on me since it was released. Mix is good. I wouldn't have bothered with it if it weren't on DVD-A. Elected and No More Mr. Nice Guy are great tracks. Santana, Miles, Hendrix, Zappa and Kraftwerk were more to my tastes, then and now. I did see Alice live 10 or 12 years ago. He was good, but nothing spectacular. Don't shoot me, just my opinion.

This album will always be a favorite by Alice Cooper, possibly the last great one. Muscle Of Love would prove to the last one with the original band. I don't skip anything on this one and the original quad mix could not be topped by this DVD-A revisit.

It's good but fans are better served by the DVD-A of the quad reel if you can find it.

Back