HiRez Poll Metheny, Pat - IMAGINARY DAY [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Pat Metheny - IMAGINARY DAY

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
so...was listening to this again...(so much material!!! maybe that's why it's so long)
It was recorded in 1997...
IIRC 24 bit was already going on...but... 88.2???? was it happening???
I can't rule it out cause Pat has ALWAYS been ahead of his time...but still, it sounds like it was tracked in 48/24 and upsampled...
Mind you, I would NOT detract ANY points from this SHOWCASE disc because of this... amazing in every aspect

What was the FIRST REAL 96/24 MCH disc?????(hmmm sounds like a new thread...)

But, to all of you Industry Mavens in the forum... anyone?? Bueller????

Never seen this one before, but definitely like PM and have a couple of the live Blu-ray releases.
Around $30 on Discogs, will find a copy for sure based on all the positive comments.

just picked this one up. Looking forward to a listen. Will report back.

just picked this one up. Looking forward to a listen. Will report back.

ooooohhhhhh,
I don't think you'll REPORT back..
you'll RAVE BACK (or not come back at all and listen to this over and over)

This should be in the Top 10 in the polls...INCREDIBLE MUSIC (just when you thought you knew Pat Metheny!!! THINK AGAIN!!!), a VERY LONG AND DENSE DISC and
IN
CRE
DI
BLE!!!!

one of my all time favorites!

OMG did not expect that. Never listened to anything from the band prior to this and that blew me away first listen. Did not know what to expect but not that!!! I have stop to let the subwoofer cool off. Lol. First listen. Will report back after a couple more. Lol

I listened to this all the way through for the first time in a long time. I forgot how great this disc was. I then realized I had never voted. I did. I went to my surround area today and looked for something I had not listened to for awhile. It was well worth re-exploring my surround collection. I highly recommend going back and pulling discs that have not been in your player in a long time. It was well worth it for me. I feel a Moody Blues marathon coming tomorrow night. They grabbed my attention when I pulled the Metheny.

I listened to this all the way through for the first time in a long time. I forgot how great this disc was. I then realized I had never voted. I did. I went to my surround area today and looked for something I had not listened to for awhile. It was well worth re-exploring my surround collection. I highly recommend going back and pulling discs that have not been in your player in a long time. It was well worth it for me. I feel a Moody Blues marathon coming tomorrow night. They grabbed my attention when I pulled the Metheny.

Thanks for reminding me to Vote. I voted a 10. If ONLY ALL Metheny's ECM albums had the same treatment.

Last edited:
OMG did not expect that. Never listened to anything from the band prior to this and that blew me away first listen. Did not know what to expect but not that!!! I have stop to let the subwoofer cool off. Lol. First listen. Will report back after a couple more. Lol

Ehem.. these are the times I LOVE bragging... I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!

BTW, is this MCH only?...can't seem to find a Stereo mix option!!!! (EDIT: yes, Virginia, there IS a Stereo mix, but only on the DVD-AUDIO folder!!!)

Last edited:
Another lapse for me, in not voting before.
One day, I really must get all my votes in..:rolleyes:

This is demo quality.
It's one of the best jazzy, surround discs out there.
So much going on.
Music is top drawer.
And expertly played.
Subby gets an airing too.
A delight.
Nothing less than 10 :SG

Last edited:
How different is the video mix? Sells on Amazon for $7.99 on Prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The DVD is actually Imaginary Day Live--a concert performance. This review doesn't say anything about the audio mix, though it's useful in other regards. (I can't find any other reviews with anything more substantive to say about the soundtrack, but everyone agrees that Steve Rodby's video direction is...not entirely satisfying.) My own meager experience with Eagle Vision concert films is: audience noise in the rears. But I haven't heard this one.

Last edited:
How different is the video mix? Sells on Amazon for $7.99 on Prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is discrete but nowhere near the DVD-A which is well worth paying whatever they ask for (which is VERY REASONABLE!) .. this is a hell of a disk and will stand DOZENS of listenings...yes, THAT dense!!!

Back