HiRez Poll Simon, Paul - YOU'RE THE ONE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Paul Simon - YOU'RE THE ONE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Excellent mix, excellent production, very strong song-writing and top-notch performances. This one is great demo for people who don't generally like surround-sound. 9 points!

kvsawilson said:
Kind of a non-surround surround disc. Still, it's a very good album with good production.

KW

Non-surround? It's not really aggressive but it is true-blue surround mix (not like that fake crap from Silverline). It is the non-aggressive nature that I think makes it appealing to folks who generally don't like surround sound. That is not to say that it isn't surround-sound since it most certainly is!

I think the surround mix fits the music like a glove. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't done so already.

Not at all certain why there are the comments about it being "Non Surround".
Sure, it's not an aggressive mix with instruments panning around all over the place, but when I drop to the stereo version it's a definite case of "Where the fuck did all the sound disappear to?".
I'm with Cai on this one - what has been done really fits the music perfectly.

I like this one & definitely recommend it to those who think surround is all about special effects & no substance

I hate to disagree with such knowledgeable folks as Neil but I had to double-check a few times to see that my receiver was pumping this out in surround. Mostly the first song threw me because it's very subtle. Still, it's got good music on it and that has to count more than the surround mix.

I'm in the surround squad on this one. Dont pass this up thinking you are not gooing to get an entertaining and well recorded disc its great.

picked mine up recently on Ebay for under £5:00. Great disc and a very sympathetic surround mix.

To me this is and always has been the penultimate surround disc for those who criticize aggressive ping-pong surround. As Neil said, play the stereo layer and realize what your missing. It's a freakin beautiful disc, and mix.

I gave this a 7 because the music is really good. But I would give the surround mix a 5. I don't hear anything discrete, sounds ambient-only to me. I disagree with those who said this is great surround for those who don't like surround. I say, what's the point?

Another example of a disc like this is the john denver greatest hits SACD. sound is great, but . . . waste of technology.

I gave this a 7 because the music is really good. But I would give the surround mix a 5. I don't hear anything discrete, sounds ambient-only to me. I disagree with those who said this is great surround for those who don't like surround. I say, what's the point?

Another example of a disc like this is the john denver greatest hits SACD. sound is great, but . . . waste of technology.

I'm glad I don't have to feel bad about not ever having bought this when it was plentiful in stores and elsewhere. This was one of the ones I recently started to have regrets about not buying.

I'm glad I don't have to feel bad about not ever having bought this when it was plentiful in stores and elsewhere. This was one of the ones I recently started to have regrets about not buying.

To be honest though It was said in an earlier part of this thread listen to the stereo and then listen to the surround and you will notice how much of an improvement it is. it deserves better than to be cast out with teh silverline discs

I swap between using my surround channels and just the front stereo pair, with the surround mix, and don't hear much difference. Good music, good sonics, poor surround. I think a better surround mix could have been easily done and abetted the music. Actually using a surround mix similar to what Mark Knopfler did for his two albums would have been great.

I'm looking for information on two Paul Simon concerts available on DVD. The Live In Philadelpia and the You're One Concert from Paris. How is the dts 5.1 sound quality? Thanks in advance for any information

A "4" and that's being kind, mostly because I like and admire Paul Simon.
A total snooze fest for me from beginning to end.
It didn't even have a decent 5.1 mix to save it.

Hated it So much I gave my copy away. Gladly.

Saddens me we were subjected to this and yet there are an embarrassment of riches in PS' back catalogue that would have been fantastic in surround and helped sell the format more than this woefully lacklustre effort.

I know many cite the lack of new/current releases back in the day as a contributing factor to the death of DVDA/SACD but on the basis of this, any old Paul Simon would have aided the cause more than this!!

4. I didn't hate it. I'm a huge fan of this guy. Other than the great title tune, it's a snooze. zzzzzzzzzz

A "4" and that's being kind, mostly because I like and admire Paul Simon.
A total snooze fest for me from beginning to end.
It didn't even have a decent 5.1 mix to save it.

Hated it So much I gave my copy away. Gladly.

Saddens me we were subjected to this and yet there are an embarrassment of riches in PS' back catalogue that would have been fantastic in surround and helped sell the format more than this woefully lacklustre effort.

I know many cite the lack of new/current releases back in the day as a contributing factor to the death of DVDA/SACD but on the basis of this, any old Paul Simon would have aided the cause more than this!!

This is another disc I recently sought out because the price was right and I've been picking up a lot of low priced surround I never got the first time around. With this disc you are getting exactly what I'd expect. The material is pleasant and it sounds like a Paul Simon album. Nothing particular stands out in the cuts that I like more than others. It's all pretty much the same. Which is not a bad thing if you are a Paul fan. I'm not a huge Paul Simon fan, but I don't dislike the album. As far as the surround, the nature of the limited instrumentation does not lend itself to a real aggressive mix. I've read good and bad comments about the mix in this thread. It may be truly discrete, but it falls into the category of "bending over to put my ear to the rear speakers to be sure there is something coming out of them" category. I don't dislike the disc. It's a pleasant enough listen, but really just as background music for me. I'll give it a 6.

Having got rid of it, as I mentioned a couple of years ago on here, I re-bought this more recently to give it another shot.. I still found the surround mix lacking (maybe steelydave can do his magic and see whether its intentional or not, as jsulzinger suggests!) ... but what struck me as much as anything was the sound quality, which was one saving grace I didn't mention before and it seemed even better 2nd time around.. not only that but musically I didn't hate it quite so much either! If I were to rate this now I'd probably up it to a "5', maybe just maybe nudging a "6" (maybe) ;)

Back