HiRez Poll Doobie Brothers - CAPTAIN AND ME [DVD-A/SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Doobie Brothers - CAPTAIN AND ME

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations on the DVD-A from Warner Brothers, which has subsequently been released in 2011 by WB on SACD in Japan.

(n):phones(y)

DVD-A/V scans:

Doobies Captain Front.jpgDoobies Captain Back.jpg

SACD scans:
R-6975082-1452949228-3541.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I thought this one had already been done. If you press me on my fave Classic Rock-era DVD-A, this is it, w/ the 2 GDead discs right behind it in a photo finish.

beljah said:
Wow, I thought this one had already been done. If you press me on my fave Classic Rock-era DVD-A, this is it, w/ the 2 GDead discs right behind it in a photo finish.

Ya know, you scared me there for a minute. I had to check to make sure that I did NOT already list it!!! ;)

That being said, let me add that this is a great DVD-A, a refuge from the '70s quad era. Wish they would have done the "Vice/Habits" disc as well, just to hear "Black Water" in HiRez! So much promise with the WB/Rhino quad catalog, and so many unfilled. :(

JonUrban said:
Ya know, you scared me there for a minute. I had to check to make sure that I did NOT already list it!!! ;)

That being said, let me add that this is a great DVD-A, a refuge from the '70s quad era. Wish they would have done the "Vice/Habits" disc as well, just to hear "Black Water" in HiRez! So much promise with the WB/Rhino quad catalog, and so many unfilled. :(

An '8' here...crisp, active mix(we're all havin' fun today, huh? :rolleyes: :eek: :) )......I'm not the biggest Doobie fan, but I agree, "Black Water" would be mind-boggling in hi-rez multi, it's their best single and recording.....one of those records that will stick with you to your grave, in spite of the spit-and-polish production....

ED :)

A great disc with a very good surround mix. I give it a 9 instead of a 10 because i prefer the origonal quad reel to reel mix just a little bit better.

I gave this one a 10..It's Doobies in their prime..

Love the mix and sonics..

Sure wouldn't mind some more from them including when Mike McDonald was with them..

I gave it a 10.

It was my favorite CD-4 quad lp and it is just about my favorite modern surround mix. All speakers active, the sound is at once crisp, rich and warm. Sounds like the gee-tar player had a faulty chord on Long Train Running though....

Score = 7. I was never much of a Doobies fan. When I first played this disc my take on it was that I was able to remember why I did not like the Doobies. However, after reading the glowing reviews here at QQ, I decided to give it another listen and ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Thanks guys for posting your comments, otherwise I would never have given it the second listen.

tcdriver

A fave of mine. "South City Midnight Lady" gets me everytime. I like the quad but all the songs just sparkle in this new 5.1 mix. I give it a 9.

I never did much care for the Doobie Brothers, but I was visiting San Diego and the Fry's electronics there and felt that I really should buy something from their great selection. I played the disc a few times - never bothering to sit down in the sweet spot - and then filed it away.

Pulling it out recently and having a good listen I discovered what a great disc this is. Some discs have a great mix, some have superb sonics, a few have both - and this is one of them. On my system this disc vanishes and it really sounds like the band are in my living room playing. This is the dream of Hi-Rez!

As far as the music goes, I am really enjoying it. I'd never heard much beyond the radio hits - and now to hear it at such high quality and to be able to hear all of the different parts (this music is more complex that I would have thought) - I'm diggin it!

An old friend that I haven't seen in many years is coming by today, and this is one of the discs I'll play for him. It's my current fav. and a 10.

This was my first DVD-A purchase. When my old friends come around, I show them what they are missing.
I always try to sell the format :D
(Shouldn't it sell itself?)

I quite like this disc, good material and surround mix. I would give it a 9. This disc must be an early version of a "Dual Disc" surround on one side and stereo on the other, I don't know how common producing double sided disc was but Pet Sounds is only other one I can think of.

MacDaddy said:
I quite like this disc, good material and surround mix. I would give it a 9. This disc must be an early version of a "Dual Disc" surround on one side and stereo on the other, I don't know how common producing double sided disc was but Pet Sounds is only other one I can think of.

Actually, not a "DualDisc" in the sense that one side is designed to play in your CD player and other in your DVD/DVD-A player. Pet Sounds, Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" and a whole bunch of releases from AIX - Laurence Juber is one of note - are all DVD-10. . DVD 10, 14, and 18 are double sided DVD discs primarily for the video market depending on the storage capacity requirements.

I wish they would release a greatest hits disc....too many "fillers" on this one IMHO. But it does sound great....that piano in China Grove gets me every time :eek:

Only just picked this one up - and am sat here wondering why I didn't get it earlier.
Voted a 9 - even though there are actually 2 minus points for me.
First one is the flip to get a stereo mix. This is why it didn't get a 10 from me as when demo-ing Surround over stereo it's much easier to switch mixes from the same side.

The only other downer is the usual Warner thing of a technically out of spec disc, as you cannot access the DTS or DD from the Audio manager.

Those little niggles aside, the sound is superb - well done Elliot Scheiner - again.

Don't forget, this is one of the earliest DVD-A releases, so the construction was a bit tentative.

Musically I didn't think I'd like this one as much as I have. Just made me wish for more Doobs in surround. I like this mix on this one.

Back