HiRez Poll Doobie Brothers - CAPTAIN AND ME [DVD-A/SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Doobie Brothers - CAPTAIN AND ME

• Total voters
Since the labels seem to be giving up on 'conventional' DVD-A's, opting for DualDisc's, makes ya wonder if we'll see any more Doobies. Would be nice, all their Quad albums were well mixed, and if DD is going to survive as a format, rather than become the latest casualty of label stupidity and consumer ignorance, someone had better start putting out titles we might actually care about, like the Heads.

ED :)

Considering I was born in 1979, I don't remember any of the quad mixes of this and have never heard any of them. That said, this is probably my favorite DVD-A that I own. Absolutely incredible mix. This is one where if I sit in my sweet spot, close my eyes, it literally sounds like the band is playing in my living room. 10/10.

finally picked this up as part of my "get 'em before they're gone forever" program. guessing everybody around here who wants this already has it, but i must say it was not easy to come by. none of my usual san diego brick 'n mortar haunts had it, and even had to do some digging online.

all i can say is: for those who don't have it yet, get it. i expected it to sound great from all the previous posts, but what surprised me was the consistent quality of the songs themselves. from beginning to end a very solid album, much better than i remember from my hazy high school recollections :smokin

[much better than i remember from my hazy high school recollections /QUOTE]

Congrats!
Glad you picked this one up.

I have this from the "Hazy Daze" on a Nautilus half speed master and I thought that sounded good.:rolleyes:

On DVD-A, it is used often for a demo.:smokin

A great album all around. Having it in surround is even better.

My only knock is that it's a double sided disk (Stereo on one side, Surround on the other.) It makes comparing the Stereo to Surround difficult.

I gave it an 8.

This is one i can keep listening to great music and an absorbing mix.

Are all of these 'flipper discs' ?

Mine is a flipper disk. I think they all should have been done this way, that way you could listen to hi-rez stereo or hi-rez multichannel without a monitor attached to choose between them. I agree on this one, great disk. Mike.

A solid 10. Especially considering its age. Sounded like it was recorded yesterday. And the surround mix is awesome. I love showing it to some of my older friends who actually had the LP.

Never a big Doobies fan, or even a little one, but the music on this disc is much better than I had expected. Yeah there are a couple of filler tracks, but Long Train Runnin', China Grove, Dark Eyed Cajun Woman and South City Midnight Lady are all pretty darned good (especially Long Train). The mix simply could not be better, totally discrete without being flashy (not that I mind flashiness once in a while).

I don't spin this disc all that often, but every time I do I'm impressed all over again. If you like the Doobies at all, you've got to track down a copy of this sucker. A 10 in my book.

Mark Z

I am not the biggest Doobie Brothers fan either but this is a really good mix and is a very pleasant listen. Thanks to a trade with Pat(Solaris) I now have had a chance to listen to this title last night for the first time. Would highly recommend tracking this one down,if you don't have it already, as besides the hit songs on this album I found the other songs to also be very good to listen to. Good album,good mix, gets a 9 in my books and look forward to giving this one some more spins in the future.

peter

I bought this on a whim a few years ago back when my local Best Buy carried a decent selection of both DVD-A and SACD. It doesn't get a lot of play on my system, not a big Doobies fan. But I did give it a spin recently and it is an exceptional, rich sounding recording. I gave it a solid 8.

Just sold mine on Amazon for $55. I noticed when I was packaging it up that this is a 2-sided disk. What's on the other side?

I think that this is one of those that has a shiny low contrast label. Warner was doing that for a while. It makes the back of the disc look almost excatly like the front. But the label side won't actually play, it's not a dual disc.

Back