HiRez Poll Doobie Brothers - CAPTAIN AND ME [DVD-A/SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Doobie Brothers - CAPTAIN AND ME

• Total voters
I think that this is one of those that has a shiny low contrast label. Warner was doing that for a while. It makes the back of the disc look almost excatly like the front. But the label side won't actually play, it's not a dual disc.

Nope, it's a flipper disc - DVD10.
At least, my copy is - it says "Surround" on one side & "Stereo" on the other.

So should the thread title now be altered to include SACD as the format since the Japanese ones came out?

I'm one of the folks that missed it on the first go-round and I've listened to it three times since the SACD version came in the mail. Superb sonics and mix. Really impressed. A 10 for me.

Kind of an old thread that I will re-visit. This is in my all time favorite top ten, both the album, the stereo sonics and the surround mix, all terrific! Lots of great songs with great bottom end, acoustic guitars ringing clearly, great snap to the dynamics. I bought a DVD-a player just for this disc. worth it!

A classic!

This was another DVD-A that I should have picked up back in 2003/4 but passed on. I got the Japan SACD recently. I wish I'd purchased it (for 1/2 the price too) back then... I've got a good percentage of the WB discs - should have purchased all that I could have..... Oh well..... better late than never.

Love China Grove....

A 9 from me.....

in my all-time top 10 high-res M/C discs, of all-time, ever, for all-time..!!!

if only we could get those quad mixes of Toulouse Street, What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits & Stampede officially released.. :(

9. I rated it, but didn't review it. I prefer the old Quad mix, which we loved to demo car Quad units with. This album is a clasic in either mix. Yes, it would be great to have all the Doobies' Quads on DVD-A. I'd love to see Takin' it to the Streets, IMHO their best album, mixed for surround.

9. I rated it, but didn't review it. I prefer the old Quad mix, which we loved to demo car Quad units with. This album is a clasic in either mix. Yes, it would be great to have all the Doobies' Quads on DVD-A. I'd love to see Takin' it to the Streets, IMHO their best album, mixed for surround.

Oh YES! Love "Takin' it to the Streets"..!! Imagine that in surround!!

I believe "Minute by Minute" got mixed into 5.1 for DVDA but never happened?!

You know, I must be in the majority of 1 (!) who prefers the Japanese Warner CD of "Takin' it.." to the MOFi SACD..!
The SACDs had all its life sucked out of it, even when you crank it. The remaster is more "toppy" but more alive!

Just call me an old Quadraphilistine..!! Bah.

ehem....
I happen to have a DTS CD of "Takin' it to the Streets" which happens to be a REAL MCH mix and it's a lot of fun!
Definitely not an upmix.
Obviously it was mixed to Quad and never released...don't ask me how I got it (the old m*jave blog)...

Listening to this again. I got the Japan SACD version, not cheap, but am I glad I did. This is one of the few 10 ratings I gave. I am liking this the way I used to like music on cassette--just listen to everything since it takes forever to fast forward, and discover how great the non-radio played songs are! I like every song on this album. The mix is another classic from ES, and you should add it to yor collection.

I have the DVD-A, got it way back in the day when Best Buy had these discs. Anyway, easily a 10 for me. Super music and an amazing, crystal clear mix with lots of great bass.

I have the DVD-A, got it way back in the day when Best Buy had these discs. Anyway, easily a 10 for me. Super music and an amazing, crystal clear mix with lots of great bass.

Glad you're enjoying the disc! I just hit the 'buy' button on the surround SACD on amazon for around $20! Hope they actually send me the right SACD instead of the stereo only disc from Mobile Fidelity. If I do get the right one, I'll be sure to give this one a vote and review! :)

Can someone who is familiar with both the Quad mix and the 5.1 DVDA talk about differences in the mixes? Is the 5.1 a bastardized Quad mix like some other releases that were released in both formats? I'm thinking of the Moody Blues and the McCartney releases that have "synthesized" center and LFE channels. Getting the original Quad mix of this release may be an upgrade from the 5.1.

Can someone who is familiar with both the Quad mix and the 5.1 DVDA talk about differences in the mixes? Is the 5.1 a bastardized Quad mix like some other releases that were released in both formats? I'm thinking of the Moody Blues and the McCartney releases that have "synthesized" center and LFE channels. Getting the original Quad mix of this release may be an upgrade from the 5.1.

The 5.1 is a brand new remix done from the original multis by Elliot Scheiner, specifically for the DVD-A release. The quad mix (released on CD-4 vinyl, Q8 tape, and Q4 tape) was done by person(s) unknown at WB in the '70s. There are some similarities in terms of placement to the quad, but it's definitely not the same.

Here's a few differences on the track "China Grove":

The 5.1 has the two electric guitars in each front channel, and two different piano parts in each rear channel. The piano parts in the rears are buried way down, to the point of being nearly inaudible, on both the quad mix and the stereo mix. The end guitar solo is in the phantom center.

The quad mix has one electric guitar part in right front, and the other in left rear. What's interesting about the quad is that the right rear channel is nearly empty for most of the song. There is just some light tambourine until the very end, when the lead guitar solo bursts in from that channel only.

Both have the backing vocals ("talkin' bout the china grove...) isolated in the rears.

I like 'em both. I think Scheiner's 5.1 is ultimately the better mixing job, but the quad can be much more aggressive at times. You won't see lead guitar coming from one rear channel in a modern 5.1 mix.

Last edited:
The 5.1 is a brand new remix done from the original multis by Elliot Scheiner, specifically for the DVD-A release. The quad mix (released on CD-4 vinyl, Q8 tape, and Q4 tape) was done by Don Landee & Ted Templeman. There are some similarities in terms of placement to the quad, but it's definitely not the same.

Here's a few differences on the track "China Grove":

The 5.1 has the two electric guitars in each front channel, and two different piano parts in each rear channel. The piano parts in the rears are buried way down, to the point of being nearly inaudible, on both the quad mix and the stereo mix. The end guitar solo is in the phantom center.

View attachment 38284

The quad mix has one electric guitar part in right front, and the other in left rear. What's interesting about the quad is that the right rear channel is nearly empty for most of the song. There is just some light tambourine until the very end, when the lead guitar solo bursts in from that channel only.

View attachment 38285

Both have the backing vocals ("talkin' bout the china grove...) isolated in the rears.

I like 'em both. I think Scheiner's 5.1 is ultimately the better mixing job, but the quad can be much more aggressive at times. You won't see lead guitar coming from one rear channel in a modern 5.1 mix.

very interesting! where did you discover the Quad was mixed by Templeman & Landee? i couldn't find any specific credit on the CD-4 sleeve.

Back