HiRez Poll Zappa, Frank - QUADIOPHILIAC [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Frank Zappa - QUADIOPHILIAC

• Total voters
Not a huge Zappa fan only have Live Flimore East and Shut Up and PLay ur Guitar Box................Is this something that wow me as a very very casual Zapp fan on 5.1??

Not a huge Zappa fan only have Live Flimore East and Shut Up and PLay ur Guitar Box................Is this something that wow me as a very very casual Zapp fan on 5.1??

Hmm, probably not.

Those are rather unusual selections as your only 2 Zappa titles. There are many other albums that might serve better as an introduction to his music should you wish to pursue it.

There are many other albums that might serve better as an introduction to his music should you wish to pursue it.

Completely agree. But there are virtually no other Zappa discs in mutichannel that can give an idea what the complete Zappa catalogue could have sounded if Zappa had lived longer. I am convinced that Zappa would have remixed nearly everything in multichannel with the tools of today. Remember that mid 70's records as "Apostrophe'" or "Overnite Sensation" have been recorded in quad already. These two by the way also would serve as a good starting point into the Zappa universe. This having said, I regard "QUAudiophiliaC" as a good intro to what could have been ...

Completely agree. But there are virtually no other Zappa discs in mutichannel that can give an idea what the complete Zappa catalogue could have sounded if Zappa had lived longer. I am convinced that Zappa would have remixed nearly everything in multichannel with the tools of today. Remember that mid 70's records as "Apostrophe'" or "Overnite Sensation" have been recorded in quad already. These two by the way also would serve as a good starting point into the Zappa universe. This having said, I regard "QUAudiophiliaC" as a good intro to what could have been ...

I NEED Joe's Garage in 5.1 :yikes

Welcome to QQ, aranoutchot!

I've been a hard core fan and listening to FZ since the '60's. There are a few best-of FZ collections which may be a good starting point:
1212562101_zap.jpg

The more risque stuff is collected here:
0001443105772_500X500.jpg

51JOqx5QEXL._SX450_.jpg

Yo' Cats, a dig at jaded studio musicians: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snetMOvbqRQ

The early period is represented here:
mpnf.jpg

51e234841dbef_110247n.jpg

zappajoesgarage.jpg

1293019_091204101036_[AllCDCovers]_frank_zappa_joes_garage_acts_i_ii_iii_retail_cd-back.jpg

My boyfriend loves this video from Joe's Garage, although it is HIGHLY OFFENSIVE to some. I doubt it's official:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV6PJegvEIE

My fave FZ album, clearly a dig at Hippies/Sgt. Pepper. Eric Clapton guests:
61G6gcrU%2ByL.jpg

Original cover (now the inside art, as originally intended) w/mustache insert:
51Uhly+dRuL.jpg

Frank%2BZappa%2B-%2BWe%2527re%2Bonly%2Bin%2Bit%2Bfor%2Bthe%2Bmoney%2B-%2Bback.jpg

What's the ugliest part of your body?

Thanks for your nice welcome, Linda. You are completely right, most of the discs you were showing above make a good starting point. I only believe that for some of the younger music listeners, who actually do not have an idea anymore who FZ was, your fave "We're Only in it for the Money" might come over a bit avantgardistic. :)

I for myself probably will need no introduction, I have roughly 100 FZ discs in my collection and believe to have the most inportant works opf the master. :)

Thanks for your nice welcome, Linda. You are completely right, most of the discs you were showing above make a good starting point. I only believe that for some of the younger music listeners, who actually do not have an idea anymore who FZ was, your fave "We're Only in it for the Money" might come over a bit avantgardistic. :)

I for myself probably will need no introduction, I have roughly 100 FZ discs in my collection and believe to have the most inportant works opf the master. :)

When I was on vacation in 2001 I listened to Joe's Garage on the beach and read the lyrics for the first time with the music.
This was the one and only time lyrics made me laughing loud in the public.
Some people were gazing at me!
This was real fun!

I tried to play Frank Zappa's Quaudiophiliac DVD and the Xbox One S was not handling it. The audio came through my TX-NR646 in stereo, even when DTS 5.1 was selected. When I tried changing Xbox settings, it eventually gave the error message that my "audio receiver can't decode this... uncheck option to let receiver decode audio". But really, no matter what settings I use for Xbox/Blu-ray audio - it would only be PCM stereo, or that error message would be displayed. Eventually, it would stop outputting audio completely and give me the error when I tried inserting other Blu-ray disks that have always played fine before! I would have to reset the Xbox and open other apps to get it working again. Really disappointing. It plays fine on my PS3 and other DVD players. It's definitely a problem with Xbox, especially considering how it basically glitches out and stops playing Blu-rays that always worked fine. Basically, the Xbox works fine until I try to play this DTS DVD.

I tried to play Frank Zappa's Quaudiophiliac DVD and the Xbox One S was not handling it. The audio came through my TX-NR646 in stereo, even when DTS 5.1 was selected. When I tried changing Xbox settings, it eventually gave the error message that my "audio receiver can't decode this... uncheck option to let receiver decode audio". But really, no matter what settings I use for Xbox/Blu-ray audio - it would only be PCM stereo, or that error message would be displayed. Eventually, it would stop outputting audio completely and give me the error when I tried inserting other Blu-ray disks that have always played fine before! I would have to reset the Xbox and open other apps to get it working again. Really disappointing. It plays fine on my PS3 and other DVD players. It's definitely a problem with Xbox, especially considering how it basically glitches out and stops playing Blu-rays that always worked fine. Basically, the Xbox works fine until I try to play this DTS DVD.

Are you aware that DTS Entertainment's Quadiophiliac is a MLP DVD~A and by playing only the lossy DTS 5.1 you are not benefitting from the higher resolution layer on the disc. You would need a Universal player capable of accessing the DVD~Audio portion of the disc and I don't think the Xbox or any non~universal DVD player will ever give you the full resolution of this or any other MLP DVD~A disc.

15027275700562086353765.jpg

Bit of a strange question...

Screenshot is of a track showing 5 channels. In which order are they? Guessing FL, FR, Centre, RR and RL.

I need to drop these into a 6 channel container in Soundforge (for 5.1). I listened having reversed the last 2 channels ( assuming rear channels) but can't make my mind up lol!

Eagles eyed will notice it should be lumpY lol

As above.... can anyone help? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you are right, but someone who is absolutely sure would need to confirm. I do know that I can't imagine why they can't label (within the program) what they are...seems like an obvious thing to do so we are always sure.

I can't see a difference between the last two tracks. Maybe they are mono.
Quaudiophiliac is supposted to be 4-channel. Maybe FL, C, FR and mono rears, like how Dolby on DVDs used to be?

Btw, speak of the devil. Quaudiophiliac is what I woke up to this morning.

Are you aware that DTS Entertainment's Quadiophiliac is a MLP DVD~A and by playing only the lossy DTS 5.1 you are not benefitting from the higher resolution layer on the disc. You would need a Universal player capable of accessing the DVD~Audio portion of the disc and I don't think the Xbox or any non~universal DVD player will ever give you the full resolution of this or any other MLP DVD~A disc.

Of course, but at the time I did not have a DVD-A player. I have been enjoying the DTS version for years.

I can't see a difference between the last two tracks. Maybe they are mono.
Quaudiophiliac is supposted to be 4-channel. Maybe FL, C, FR and mono rears, like how Dolby on DVDs used to be?

Btw, speak of the devil. Quaudiophiliac is what I woke up to this morning.

The panning is very possible. In the booklet, there is a picture of one of the master tapes labeled "1- Left, 2- Center, 3 - Right, 4 - Rear"

I really love Rush and King Crimson, but Frank is the absolute zenith for me. There's just not much available from him in surround, but I think his absolute best available in surround is the song 'Waka-Jawaka' from this album.
rock.gif

I thought I would read all the surround Poll entries to see if there were artists with releases that I didn't even know about....and then I saw Frank Zappa QuAUDIOPHILLIAc and nearly fell over backwards ....I've been a big Zappa fan for a long time ( mainly his 60s and 70s work). I looked it up on Discogs, and low and behold there was one for sale in Australia...and it was unopened and still shrink wrapped !
So I purchased it immediately and paid a pretty penny ! (Coming this late into the quad collecting EVERYTHING is expensive )
Two days later, yesterday, I had it in hand.
What a great smattering of all of FZ's type of music...warped orchestral, solo guitar things, weird percussion and band with brass and delightful female vocals and small band grooves which give him and other main players room to solo and even a couple of experimental things ( his guitar through a sample and hold synthesizer)
I'm on my second listen now...there is just so much to take in.
Zappa in Quad...I can now die happy !
I voted 9

Back