HiRez Poll Carpenters - SINGLES 1969-1981 [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Carpenters - SINGLES 1969-1981

• Total voters
Very enjoyable. The surround mix is lush and enveloping, and the sonics are warm and 'analog' sounding. Docked it two points because Richard rerecorded the piano and other elements on some tracks (though it's not overbearing or offensive), and for "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft." Coulda done without that one.

This has to be one of the most engrossing discs I own.

A true testament to Karen's unique voice.

Probably one of the most requested around here.

A 10 for sure. Which ninny gave it a 1 ?

A 9. I'm not crazy about adding new overdubs, etc., to a classic album. Even if Karen were to magically return, I still feel that it doesn't have it's place. Alternate takes or radically different mixes from the original could be great, or awful, depending on how they sound. A great case for not fiddling with things is a title released when CD's were brand, spanking new. The Superior Sound of Elton John went out of print quickly, and deservedly so. Gus Dudgeon remixed it. What was he thinking? On the other hand, I love the Elton SACD's.

I agree with Bob Romano and his kitty: put the Christmas song at the end. Carpenters do Christmas music well, but I don't want to hear it in July. Maybe August?!

Cai was right on the money with his center channel comments. My speakers on my main system are 4 Mission towers. The matched center isn't as matched as I'd like. It truly is the achilles' heel of an otherwise spectacular system. Perhaps one day, I'll pull it out and do a phantom center.

It's curious that some posts here seem to think this is the Singles album from 1973. I have that on SQ & CD, and this isn't it. The mixes are new, and there are many tracks not included on that brown cover album. RC railed against the old Quad mixes in interviews, especially his lack of involvement.

This is a fantastic SACD and I recommend it highly, even for casual Carpenters fans. I've always liked Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft. The polite, well enunciated vocals of KC seem mismatched to the material. Yet, I applaud them for going out of their comfort zone and presenting something a bit wayout. The connections to the DJ segment of Now and Then make this a very cool listen. YOU NEED THIS SACD.

For Richard this was likely a labor-of-love kind of thing. As for his tinkering with the past, he's been doing that since the remix of the Xmas album in the late '70s, so when it was announced he was not just remixing for this SACD but doing other--ahem--things, that wasn't a surprise, either, just a concern. He's not the first artist to rethink his work in terms of sound (think Frank Zappa), but the results can vary, but overall, whatever unique flavor the Carpenters pleasant pop had was not, IMO, compromised on this disc.

ED :)

9 for me.... It would be a 10, but one off for being "syrupy soft rock".

Not my usual listening material but like many people my age the Carpenters were part of our soundtrack in those early years so I have a soft spot for them. Karen's voice was incredible and Richard's song writing and arrangements so good that the songs have largely stood the test of time.

I rated the sound quality and surround mix a solid 8. It's superbly well done - crystal clear, particularly Karen and there's a lot of attention to detail in the placement and use of the channels. So why an 8 and not a 10? To my ears the vocals have slightly too much presence in the mix. Sure, it's all about Karen as it should be and overall it's what makes the remix so good but in quite a lot of places she's just a little too "up front." There's also some harshness in a few places particularly when the vocal level peaks. I'm not a fan of excessive compression on the output stage/mastering by any means but it's often essential on individual tracks in order to keep the top of the dynamic range under control and to my ears the vocals are just a little too peaky in places.

I'm sure a lot of people will think I'm being picky with the above, but it's why I give it 8 and not 10. Just about everything else is perfect.

ahhh ... Karen's voice was so pure...(and she was a drummer too!!)

This SACD is now RIDICULOUSLY priced (min 130 EUR)....never got to buy it back in 2008 (didn't know of its existence)....

Is it me or is Karen in the MIDDLE of the mix? (on all 4 corners)

Yes, back then I had this singles collection and a few 45s from them.....

Anybody willing to part with their copy at a decent price?

That's weird, just have this a spin this afternoon. Played "This Masquerade" (my go-to demo, love that jazz flute!) to an estate agent who was round to value my flat (a Glasgow tenement) - I'd like to move to a detached house, mainly to allow me to play my music (and movies) loudly without bothering my neighbours. Is that wee bit sad, that being my main reason for wanting to move?

That's weird, just have this a spin this afternoon. Played "This Masquerade" (my go-to demo, love that jazz flute!) to an estate agent who was round to value my flat (a Glasgow tenement) - I'd like to move to a detached house, mainly to allow me to play my music (and movies) loudly without bothering my neighbours. Is that wee bit sad, that being my main reason for wanting to move?

No it's not sad...I've been contemplating the same thing for some time:)

Not at all, I've a 1950s semi-detached house (so fairly thick walls) and the current neighbours are pretty deaf, but even with the sturdy walls I can hear their TV when its turned up loud so they can hear it. When they move I'll probably have to!

NB: Its a great album

Nope, certainly not. Detached makes loud life so much easier. I'm lucky enough to have lived in a detached house with thick walls since 1999. although I'm now seriously considering a major shift around of our downstairs rooms to give me a bigger listening room! :)

And if you are married make sure you come to an agreement with your wife before you move as to which room will be the listening room. As well, be sure that you have final say regarding speaker placement and further final say to any or all modifications of any kind to said room! :D

I'd like to move to a detached house, mainly to allow me to play my music (and movies) loudly without bothering my neighbours. Is that wee bit sad, that being my main reason for wanting to move?

I have a $15,000 system that I can never play. The neighbors come over with flashlights and bang on the door.
The otger night I was practicing my upright piano on the practice pedal -- *I* could barely hear it. Tge crazy bitch next door came over and grabbed me. I told her to get the f*ck off my property. I think she's sleeping in the living room.

So, no.

"Thank you so much for posting...even after 13 years of the original post it was extremely helpful! I've been working with Naim Mu-so on sound enhancements and purchased my first SACD today after reading all the reviews on this site. It was very helpful, especially since the SACD in question was $140 (sealed) and that is a steal of a deal. So thank you 13 years later for everyones feedback! MUCH APPRECIATED! :)"

I have a $15,000 system that I can never play. The neighbors come over with flashlights and bang on the door.
The otger night I was practicing my upright piano on the practice pedal -- *I* could barely hear it. Tge crazy bitch next door came over and grabbed me. I told her to get the f*ck off my property. I think she's sleeping in the living room.

So, no.

That's heartbreaking, and it's s house right?

I live in an apt that has retail below me. They leave at 6:00pm. It's a Corner unit with a stairway on one side separating me from everyone and my bedroom on other side of living room. Old building with thick walls.

I'm up often til 4:am with sound levels way way up. Last night I had L&M "Full Sail" being Demo'd for a friend who had never heard it. Pathway to Glory and Sailing the Wind sounded so wonderful in quad and up loud too. I'm staying in this apt for the long run due to privacy and quality and volume of music play solitude.

I hope you can get some sound proofing so you can use the system to full potential.

Last edited:
Back