HiRez Poll Brubeck, Dave - TIME OUT [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Dave Brubeck - TIME OUT

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations on this SACD from Sony.......(y) (n)

(I just added the below images today (9/30/2021) to show the two different retail stickers Sony used on their Single Layer SACDs)

Take 5 Fronts 1.jpg

Take 5 Backs 1.jpg

Attachments

• Take 5 Fronts.jpg
    Take 5 Fronts.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Take 5 Backs.jpg
    Take 5 Backs.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Dont frighten peoples with word "classic"))) These wonderful melodies are used over years in many places (y)
Must have. At least, listen:)

This is a wonderful album, I agree. However, I prefer the stereo version to the multi-channel on this one. (An odd statement for me to say.)

If anyone is looking to buy this disc on SACD, be sure to check the labels because I think it was originally released as stereo-only and then later released with a multi-channel track.

Fine sound, no way around that....but comes off like a 3-track mix that really couldn't be effectively transferred to 5.1....like KIND OF BLUE, we get mainly studio ambience, which is cool, but not much else in the rears. Well balanced mixes for most tracks, but....as a 5.1 experience, good thing the music's so good!

ED :)

Brilliant music. Gave it a 9 cuz of that. I'll give the so-so mix a break....what could they have done? The sound is better than a lot of poop that comes out in 2004-2005!

daved64 said:
I see a 1 given for this disc!?!?! You need a weekend in a Turkish prison! :mad:@:

Wasn't me, handsome....;)\

Leave the dirty work to Jon and Cai...they'll ferret out the MF.....

ED:)

All will be revealed next week. It's not who you think it might be!

I don't own the multichannel version, but it is one of my favorite Jazz recordings. My disk says 360 degree sound, but it isnt SACD. Anyway, fantastic music regardless of the format.

Well, you can't fault the music. It's one of those eternal classics that I will never tire of.

I enjoy the three-channel presentation, but with a compromised center channel, I can't help but feel I'm missing something. Even if my center channel were not compromised, I just don't see this offering much more over the stereo mix.

Enjoyable? Most certainly! Essential recording? Of course, but the multi-channel mix isn't really bringing anything new to the party. As a surround release, it's just not terribly compelling. I gave it a 6, but the music is without a doubt a 10!

For me 3 channel is significant step over stereo. I have wide spreaded fronts, center absolutely organically fills the space. More, the direction of sound from center is determined by ear which is impossible with using only 2 channels.
So I personally appreciate this mix. :banana:

Cai Campbell said:
Well, you can't fault the music. It's one of those eternal classics that I will never tire of.

I enjoy the three-channel presentation, but with a compromised center channel, I can't help but feel I'm missing something. Even if my center channel were not compromised, I just don't see this offering much more over the stereo mix.

Enjoyable? Most certainly! Essential recording? Of course, but the multi-channel mix isn't really bringing anything new to the party. As a surround release, it's just not terribly compelling. I gave it a 6, but the music is without a doubt a 10!

Compromised? Why don't you uncompromise it? :)

ferret-e said:
For me 3 channel is significant step over stereo. I have wide spreaded fronts, center absolutely organically fills the space. More, the direction of sound from center is determined by ear which is impossible with using only 2 channels.
So I personally appreciate this mix. :banana:

Don't extrapolate my slight criticism of the Brubeck disc to mean I don't appreciate three-channel mixes in general! I love three-channel mixes and agree that they have the potential to offer much more over stereo.

It is only this particular title/mix that my previous comments are relevant to.

Guy Robinson said:
Compromised? Why don't you uncompromise it? :)

I would LOVE to have a music-only 5.1 channel system! As it is, budget and space constraints dictate that music/movies must share the same space. The center channel is necessarily constrained so as not to block the television monitor.

BTW, my center channel matches the remaining speakers (same tweeter, etc.) but is necessarily smaller and sorely lacking in bass extension.

I'm new to this album except for the "hit single". The latter was enough for me to scoop it up in the recent Sony SACD sale, and boy, was it worth it! Yeah, the multichannel is a 3-channel mix rather than quad or 5.1 (which would have been nice), but considering the age of the material I'm surprised even 3-channel is available. The music is excellently played and quite pleasing...I'm not normally a jazz fan, but this will stay in my player for a while...

Cai Campbell said:
I would LOVE to have a music-only 5.1 channel system! As it is, budget and space constraints dictate that music/movies must share the same space. The center channel is necessarily constrained so as not to block the television monitor.

BTW, my center channel matches the remaining speakers (same tweeter, etc.) but is necessarily smaller and sorely lacking in bass extension.

Cai,

Did you open your DualDisc of this title to compare the DD surround mix to the SACD? (I still have mine sealed)

I was wondering if it was exactly the same thing, and what we can expect from Sony as far as future DualDiscs are concerned.

:-jon

I surprised as this mix brings much new to the recording, I think the center channel is the most important in this mix. As I would not review a disc I don't own I would not review a MC disc with out a fully functioning MC set up either

Back