HiRez Poll Dylan, Bob - Blonde On Blonde [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bob Dylan - BLONDE ON BLONDE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

R-715109-1286166280.jpeg.jpg

R-715109-1286167263.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great mix, given the limited number of tracks on the original masters (I think 8). Excellent ambience that mimics the stereo mix and really puts you in the room with the band (not to be confused with The Band - sorry, dumb joke!).

Really nice sound. Many of us had only heard Dylan on old LPs. Now you can finally hear the many instruments and "sounds" in the studio.

I loved this album back in the day and love it just as much now. Hearing it in MC was a revelation as, like fzappa said, the soudstage really opens up. Beautiful mix and classic content.

11. The 5.1 mix is a bit conservative. I could have done without Visions, Sad Eyed Believers and a few others. Yet, what's good here is SPECTACULAR: Stuck Inside, I Want You, Rainy Day, Just Like a Woman. I've had this on 2ch LP, mono LP, mono CD, abbreviated CD, complete CD. single layer and hybrid SACD's. The hybrid is the one.

114718449.jpg

All my fathers they've gone down. True love they've been without it. All their daughters put me down, 'cause I don't think about it.

I'm going with a perfect 10 here. The surround mix opens things up and never gets gimmicky or in the way, yet has strong separation, stays true to original which is one of the best rock & roll album ever recorded. This is more my kind of thing than Supertramp or AP Project. It feels real and organic. And from listening to the 18 disc set The Cutting Edge 1965-1966, you can hear that they did these songs live with no over-dubs. This is the real thing kids.

Material is a 10, sonics a 9, mix is a 10

Last edited:
I guess we all have opinions about Bob's voice. This mix will convince you that the voice is as vital as any other instrument on the album. I felt like he was in my den right in front of me. Stunning!

This is not my favorite Dylan album but it has A few of his very best songs on it. I love Dylan's vocal isolated in the center channel. His phrasing and emotion come through full throttle. The fidelity is great even if the mix isn't see inspiring.

So this is the second Dylan album from the SACD box which came out in 2005 with surround sound that I'm playing. I just listened to Blood on the Tracks before this and the mix of Blonde on Blonde is similar: All-enveloping with nothing really standing out, instrument-wise, from the rear speakers. If you're looking for that kind of mix, a pleasant use of your surround rig when you're sitting dead center in the room (the 'sweet spot,' in other words) with no distracting eruptions of sound from any one speaker, then this SACD is for you. Problem is, the mixes I prefer use the speakers more individually, with solo instruments more to the fore. Not sure Dylan's recordings really fall into that category though, so I'm rating this accordingly. I'm gonna stick with a 7, the same rating I gave Blood on the Tracks, which in all fairness, does sound a bit better. But this being 1966 (how many surround sound mixes for 1966 albums are there?), I'm upping my judgement a notch.

You see folks, Blonde on Blonde is one of the great LPs of the 1960s, and my fave Bob LP, and since we true-believers know that any quad or 5.1 mix is better than two-channel stereo, I'd still rather listen to this recording in this format than any other. So I refuse to give it any less of a rating.

EDIT: Ooh, I'm listening to "Just Like a Woman" right now, and this one really does nail it!

I noticed a number of errors in this mix as well as the other two Michael H Brauer mixes of Dylan (Another Side of Bob Dylan, Bringing It All Back Home), if any of you want to give it a look and/or give your thoughts! I noticed that often extra audio was put in the back right channels of Another Side of Bob Dylan and Bringing It All Back Home and that all three seemed to suffer from particular elements not sharing the same polarity across their channels.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ging-it-all-back-home-blonde-on-blonde.34324/

Back