HiRez Poll Harrison, George - LIVE IN JAPAN [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of George Harrison - LIVE IN JAPAN

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

R-4661140-1403619426-8519.jpeg.jpg

R-4661140-1403619663-4601.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The center seems to be the fronts summed with a little added reverb. The surround channels are the fronts delayed and drenched in reverb. Hmm sounds like a familiar mix formula (dare I say Silverline-like).

The saving grace for me is that I like the music (it also helps that I paid $9.99 at BB when it first came out).

Nice performance, but as stated a completely Silverlined mix. It's not even music in the front and crowd in the back. It's music and crowd in the front and reverb from the music and crowd in the back. I actuall get a much better surround experience by playing the stereo track and using Logic7 to fake a surround mix.

It's a good performance with Eric Clapton and band but a disappointing surround mix.

I got the disc for $10.00, too, so I can't complain too much. Personally, I think the songs and performances are excellent which makes this album worth owning regardless of a surround mix. Sonically, it's a little weak in the bass and does suffer from having been recorded in what I suspect were a couple of larger venues. However, I still enjoy the ambience given by the surround mix. I know it's not perfect, but at least I can listen to it---unlike some other pop/rock live shows like, say, the Guns 'N Roses CD. I gave it a 6.

Another $10 pickup in the first few weeks of release. The first time through, I enjoyed the concert feel and the material.

But, it has never received a secong play.

Gave it a 6.

It is a missed chance. They could have emphasized the cozyness of the performances. They sound so club-like.
At least it is nice to hear that "If I needed someone" is balanced out now. The first CD had it very right-heavy.

I love this album but the mix is very disappointing. I see at Best Buy for 29.99 If I had payed that instead of 9.99 I'd be pissed

I know I paid more than 9.99, but I think I paid less that 29.99. I love the songs and performances and I listen to it a lot at work. I rated the disk a 7 based on the content. Clearly the mix leaves a lot to be desired.

This is a great concert recording that suffers from the venue in which it was recorded in and in the manner in which it was recorded... but not by much. The quality of the performance and the "stereo" recording overpowers the limitations of the "surround" recording by a wide margin. This is an exceptional live performance that suffers marginally from the quality of the surround recording approach. Seven points.

When I solo the ambiance in the rears, it sounds like microphones were placed in the lobby! Very strange sounding.

J. D.

This is the first disc I have voted on in these polls and I gave it a 2 which I consider generous. The recording is horrible, the surround is non-existent, and the performance is a disaster. And I am a long time huge Harrison fan. I saw him live in 65 at the Hollywood Bowl, 66 at Dodger Stadium and in 74 on the Dark Horse tour. His vocals are so poorly reproduced that on most songs I would not bet money it was actually George. I think a tribute band with a monkey in the control room could have done better. The only saving grace was a few of Eric's guitar solos. I must confess I only listened to the first seven songs and then I gave up and listed it for sale on Amazon. Even the artwork sucks.

This is the first disc I have voted on in these polls and I gave it a 2 which I consider generous. The recording is horrible, the surround is non-existent, and the performance is a disaster. And I am a long time huge Harrison fan. I saw him live in 65 at the Hollywood Bowl, 66 at Dodger Stadium and in 74 on the Dark Horse tour. His vocals are so poorly reproduced that on most songs I would not bet money it was actually George. I think a tribute band with a monkey in the control room could have done better. The only saving grace was a few of Eric's guitar solos. I must confess I only listened to the first seven songs and then I gave up and listed it for sale on Amazon. Even the artwork sucks.

Are you saying that Harrison sounds worse on this live disc and tour than he did in 1974 on the Dark Horse North American Tour?
By most accounts I have read, the 1974 tour was Harrison's lowest point as a vocalist and live performer, hilariously dubbed the Dark Hoarse tour because of his hoarse throat.
Yeah this disc is not great at all from a surround POV, but this disc still has a lot of sentimental value for me, just cause I hunted around for this disc after Harrison's death, and my parents found a copy somewhere and gave it to me for Christmas, one that I played quite a lot after that. Then I bought the Dark Horse Years box a few years later with this SACD and the 4 video clips on the DVD, also in surround.

I went with a '6': 1/1 for being on SACD, 1/3 for Fidelity, 1/3 for the Surround Mix, and 3/3 for the Content, since it has a lot of good songs on it.

Maybe the most disappointing surround disc I own. The mix is lousy and the performance is boring. Harrison fell victim to the Clapton/East rule. For the uninitiated, any Clapton performance where Nathan East is the bassist will automatically sound like smooth jazz schlock. Any Clapton performance with another bassist (Willie Weeks in particular) will be awesome. Don't believe me, go look up the bassists on his live albums. 24 Nights? East. Clapton/Winwood at MSG? Weeks. Harrison's mistake wasn't touring with Clapton, it was touring with the wrong Clapton band.

Are you saying that Harrison sounds worse on this live disc and tour than he did in 1974 on the Dark Horse North American Tour?
No, I don't have a good enough memory to remember what the 74 tour sounded like. I am saying the DVD sucked.:yikes

Back