HiRez Poll Biggs, E. Power - BACH FOUR TOCCATAS AND FUGUES [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bach (E. Power Biggs) - FOUR TOCATAS AND FUGUES

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Gave it a 10. Absolutely outstanding. Try this one if you really want to see what your subwoofer (and your 4 speakers in large mode) will do. I believe that the lowest pedal notes are somewhere around 25 hz. Also, there are basically 4 organs here with one being in each of the 4 speakers.

Man, this is a really fun listen! I find that this recording makes my system sound pretty good. Not too shabby for something from the 70s. I went with a 10.

I'd really love to weigh in on this one, but my copy from Best Buy turns out to have some computer disc instead of the SACD. Some a**hole crook bought it, kept the disc after replacing it with a worthless one, resealed it and returned it!

Keeping their long-standing return policy of "We Just Don't Care", they refused to take the disc back because it was past he 30-day limit. Anyone know if I have any options other trying to call 1-800-WEDONTCARE?

We need an explanation for that "9" rating. Your woofers couldn't handle it, or what?

One of the best in my collection. Bach certainly knew how to inspire - this one will put the fear of the Lord in you.

For a musician, the challenge is to make clear and "followable" the "mental line" as conceived by Bach. That was Glenn Gould's contribution on the Goldberg Concertos. Biggs does it here too.

Guy Robinson said:
Gave it a 10. Absolutely outstanding. Try this one if you really want to see what your subwoofer (and your 4 speakers in large mode) will do. I believe that the lowest pedal notes are somewhere around 25 hz. Also, there are basically 4 organs here with one being in each of the 4 speakers.

Yes....I first had the SQ album and before buying the SACD as one of the first I got when I bought an SACD player. To get the full effect of this SACD, you'll need four identical equally matched full-range speakers (all with a 12-inch woofer or greater please!) plus a subwoofer. Then Watch for your house to shake with those low notes! :woopie I start a few earthquakes out here in San Diego when I turn this baby on!:D

It's a 10!

Ol' Ernest can really hit those pedals & keys! Did he clone himself? I didn't have this one in Quad. I was a fan of his Bach Organ Favorites series, but didn't like his interpretation of Joplin. I like the Rifkin & Schuller versions. This type of music is the reason I bought my B&K and Mission gear. Three weeks ago, I added a REL T-9 sub. My sub likes this sonic spectacular.

I was nervous about tape hiss on re-done analog & Quad classical titles on SACD. This is one of many that are virtually noiseless. Boulez conducts Bartok's Concerto for Orchetra is another wonder in mix, recording and performance. That one I had in Quad.

I've owned several versions of many classical favorites. The performances vary widely between artists and orchestras. So many people rated this a 10. I concur. No one mentioned the best thing about this SACD. E. Power Biggs is my favorite classical organist. He's a master. Bach would be proud.

Linda
Angel of Adagio

Heard this the other day for the first time when my brother brought round his SACD of it to have a listen to (and for him to check out my system!).

Sounds amazing... my system could benefit from some bigger drivers though....:eek:

I thought I'd better get a copy but then I saw the price of this one on Amazon :yikes. Oh well.....

This disc is already affordable for everyone.

Don't think they took the hint LOL

Finally got to listening to this after creating the DVD-A/V, and for a 70's recording, this is quite stunning and should be in everyones collection, even if only for demonstration purposes

OD

Back