HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY [DVD-A][2000 WB]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of ELP - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY [2000 WB]

• Total voters
It's a great disc, provided that, as a listener, you don't mind a lot of activity in all channels and some stuff moving around, which bugs some folks about this one and L.A. WOMAN in particular. I enjoy them a lot, and to be honest, likely wouldn't listen to BSS again if it weren't for its aggressive 5.1 mix.

ED :)

After living with this one for however many years its been since it was released, I realized lately I 'missed' the old mix. The new mix does some things differently with reverb especially (the vocal are drier than the old mix, and some synth parts just don't have the prominence they used to) that i wish they hadn't ; so for now I've reverted to listening to the original, with 'surround' added by DPL IIx. It's nice to have both though -- the bass on the DVD-A is much better mixed.

This was the first DVD-A I purchased, and the one I listen to the most often.

An amazing mix.

A 10 all the way for me. Nothing more needs to be said really.

I should add that the bonus tracks/features (aside from the inclusion of "Lucky Man") are a nice afterthought, but hardly worth much.

Last edited:
One of the best 5.1 mixes ever, period. A very active presentation, which matches the period in which it was recorded. Sonically near perfect! A great demo disc. And the inclusion of "Lucky Man" is icing on the cake!

This music had become very tired for me about three decades ago but raves about this surround sound mix made me bite and I expected to hate it. I would never have purchased this if enough music I knew I would like was available in high resolution but there isn't and I love this one. I don't care about no stereo mix, I wouldn't listen to it anyway. The only ELP song I still liked to listen to before this purchase was "From the Beginning", but this album is such an experience in surround that the weaknesses are forgiven and almost forgotten. A 9 and only the music is still less than a 10 for me. Congratulations to all that made this one happen, it sure wouldn't have been an album I would have suggested as perfect for surround, especially early in the format's development.

Chris

Last edited:
Pulled this one out for a spin the other day. Realized that I had not voted on it. It's a strong 9, and the addition of "Lucky Man" is a winner.

It's nice to visit "old" releases! :D

"Lucky Man" was a great surprise...but I also felt it was an indication that perhaps the first album would NOT be remixed to 5.1...hated being right...:(

ED :)

This is the best one I have too. Yes's Fragile comes in second.
You know what I loved to hear....Supertramp's Crime Of The Century. I heard Bloody Well Right in my crappy car stereo the other day and I was knocked out by the recording quality of that song. 1974 I think.

I just recently picked this one up and even though I was a big prog rocker back in high school, I haven't listened to any ELP in years. I enjoyed the nostalgia of the music and particularly hearing Keith Emerson's manic keyboards coming at me from all directions. Karn Evil No 9 will become one of my demo songs for my surround system.

Just re-reading this thread caused me to crank up Jerusalem on DVD-A right now! Okay, let Toccata play too.....

Same chills....:smokin:

This is the best one I have too. Yes's Fragile comes in second.
You know what I loved to hear....Supertramp's Crime Of The Century. I heard Bloody Well Right in my crappy car stereo the other day and I was knocked out by the recording quality of that song. 1974 I think.

Ken Scott did great work on that. He's a member over on SH, and he said he looked into a doing surround version, and it was pretty much a given that it would happen, but.....nothing happened!:mad:

A 10 for Sure!! The more I listen to this one the more I like it The Moog Never sounded Better!! (y)

I decided to sell mine so I have been listening to it this week. I agree, I should end my auction now and keep it, I love this disc and finding a replacement will be nearly impossible. I hadn't listened but maybe twice the past year until this week.

Chris

I was never a big elp fan and now I know why. because I never had a decent sounding stereo. at that time you had limited choices as to good sounding equipment and it was costly. consiquently the old 'webcor" could not deal with what I needed to hear. so I enjoy BSS a lot of course now. and other stuff from those days too that "needed" good equipment. my friend had all marantz stuff and he went quad too. of course he was wealthy! remember 1st quad I heard- leon russell album, blew me away!

Gave it a 9 as well, actually it is 9.x, rounded down to 9.
A must-have for the prog-rock generation.

If I also had Trilogy and Tarkus in 5.1 oooh what a Lucky Man I'd be...

Hearing this again makes me wish they'd do "Welcome back my friends"in 5.1

Absolutely!!! ...They even used a quad surround sound system during that tour!!! I believe the LP set was to be released in quad along with the stereo version originally. I always wondered what happened with that???

I agree with what others have mentioned here....to have s/t ELP, Tarkus & Trilogy in 5.1 would be incredible!

...and Yet, another 'Deluxe version' of BSS is now scheduled for release in Sept!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Brain-Salad-S...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1219780575&sr=1-1

I also read that "Pictures" is to get this similar 'deluxe' treatment.

Tim

Looks like you were posting in a 2004 QQ thread (Search ELP CD4) and missed what I put there 6 days later:

Re: ELP - From The Front Row...Live
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome Back was issued as Q8 triple tape pack only; during a visit to the JVC CD4 Cutting center, the engineer told us the master tapes they sent to work with were too distorted to cut a stable CD4 vinyl master. So the tapes went back in the closet.

The artwork on the Q8 tapes is derived from what would have been the vinyl cover with it's CD4 logo intact.

Pictures At An Exhibition looks to be two different STEREO performances on the two discs; the original (Fall 1971) and an earlier (1970?) soundtrack version...

Back