HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY [DVD-A][2000 WB]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of ELP - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY [2000 WB]

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
To Comments.png
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations on the original Year 2000 initial release of this album on Warner Brothers, originally sold in a CD sized jewel box and later sold in the standard Super Jewel Box.

Attachments

• ELP BSS JB.jpg
    ELP BSS JB.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 241
  • ELP BSS DVDA.jpg
    ELP BSS DVDA.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 241
Last edited by a moderator:
Have to say, though no key tickler in rock history was more full of himself and as unsubtle as Keith Emerson, this is a very fun, creative, and at times wild mix....it's as if, understanding that too often the trio just went absurdly overboard, the 5.1 here wallows in the excesses and things are just going on everywhere....some may not like that, but this one has never failed to impress friends and gotta admit, I enjoy it a lot in spite of myself.....:banana:

ED

I love this surround mix, one of my favorites, a definate 10 !!!! :sun

This music was meant for surround-sound! Awesome performance, music, and surround mix. Not quite the top-of-the-heap, but pretty darn close. I gave it 9 points.

This DVD-A release is the reason I rushed to buy an expensive yet feeble player to play it as soon as possible! I have several better players now thankfully.

I was going to give it the 10 for that reason and how much I've always thought they peaked with this one and I did see them play it live. In retrospect, their other albums may be better but this one really pushed it to the limit and there wasn't too much left to do after it was done.

Lucky Man is a stellar tease to what their other material could sound like , but the '9' stands because of the other weak extras.

John Kellog understands how to make bass sound awesome, almost as if some new tracks had been recorded alongside the existing.

Brain Salad Surgery is an over the top recording that has always deserved full surround treatment as it could not be contained or conveyed fully in 2 channels.

Last edited:
timbre4 said:
This DVD-A release is the reason I rushed to buy an expensive yet feeble player to play it as soon as possible! I have several better players now thankfully.

I was going to give it the 10 for that reason and how much I've always thought they peaked with this one and I did see them play it live. In retrospect, their other albums may be better but this one really pushed it to the limit and there wasn't too much left to after it was done.

Lucky Man is a stellar tease to what their other material could sound like , but the '9' stands because of the other weak extras.

John Kellog understands how to make bass sound awesome, almost as if some new tracks had been recorded alongside the existing.

Brain Salad Surgery is an over the top recording that has always deserved full surround treatment as it could not be contained or conveyed fully in 2 channels.

this is one is a 10 for me. they were here in San Diego a year or two before the release (B.S.S.), and i had a chance to talk to them after the show, and i ask Keith Emerson if they were going to release something on DVD-A and he said yes "Brain Salad Surgery" i said cool. then i have all 3 of them autograph my Q8's. i can't forget the faces they made of my Q8's & Keith Emerson ask me what the heck is this ??????? i told him a Quad 8 track, then he said what do i do with it???? i said sign it you dummy,he just crack up, i have seen them before quiet a few times, but this was my first time ever to talk to them, and all i can say they were real polite and down to earth guys. thanks Gerardo :banana:

Every negative comment I ever made about over the top surround mixes is apparent in this disc.

And I love it. Somehow, this is how this music should have always sounded.

This is enveloping, and very well mixed (every swirl around the room, every successive shout of "roll up!" coming from an individual speaker, is so perfectly mixed that volume remains constant even if you are not in the sweet spot). This is not a disc for casual listening, the dynamics will overtake any conversation you attempt to have while listening.

I think this holds up as the quadraphonic vision that this music originally was intended to convey. 30 years later, we have a "delivery system" capable of proper distribution to the masses.

A bit of bitch for the high-rez stereo-philes, as there is no proper stereo mix onthe disc, but a dream come true for all that have waited for 3 decades to properly hear it in quad (...er surround. ALMOST the same thing, innit?).

Completely over-the-top and absolutely classic because of it. ELP was built for surround sound...

This would have been better as an ambient mix.......... :D

I LOVE this disc. It poots in the face of every non surround person. Frantic ping ponging and 360 spins......ya gotta love it. A great showcase for surround. 9

For me also.....the reason I had to get into DVD-A! One of my favorite albums! A perfect example of where the MUSIC is meant for the FORMAT! It's a shame there hasn't been more ELP released in surround...
Tim

Wasn't this the very first release?

I certainly broke cherry on it.

Sonically, an absolute jaw-dropper. I could not believe what I was hearing.
Magnificent surround sound, yes, but also an introduction to a whole new level of cleanup for old tracks. Obvious effort went into insuring this first release made the grade.

Was so excited I immediately sent off an email to friends to rant about the great new format, and new age of surround.

Though not my favorite material by any means, I have to give this a 10.

Yes, a "proper" stereo mix is an afterthought for Brain Salad Surgery on DVD-Audio.

But when you've bought the stereo CD at least 3 times and still own 2 of them (3D cover and interview 1996 Rhino + import by Castle 2001 slightly different mixes/takes), it really isn't important is it?

A very, very high 9.

Once again, a great comparison demo. We need the whole collection on an Elliot Schiner mix :smokin

Uncle Al said:
A bit of bitch for the high-rez stereo-philes, as there is no proper stereo mix onthe disc, but a dream come true for all that have waited for 3 decades to properly hear it in quad (...er surround. ALMOST the same thing, innit?).

What do you mean by this??

I was under the impression there was a high rez 2 channel mix. I am one of those high-rez stereophiles.

I would appreciate your comments as this was on my 'to buy' list

I think Al is saying this is one of a handful of DVD-A's that has a 5.1 hi-rez mix only. There were a few of those, alas!

ED

I have to agree that this music was just made for surround. The mix is discrete as hell. And at the end of the album when they have the weird sound effects going around the room, while yes it's gimmicky, it's a great way to close out the album. All throughout the record there's stuff going on everywhere. This isn't background music. If you want to appreciate this disc, you need to sit in the sweet spot, close your eyes and concentrate on it. I like that they threw in "Lucky Man" as a bonus even though it was on a completely different album. They probably did this so that there was at least a "hit" (if you can call it that) that people might recognize which would help sell copies.

If you don't like pretentious super progessive keyboard-driven rock and roll, you might not like this disc. In the 70s, I'm told that the running joke about Emerson, Lake and Palmer was:

Q: How do you spell pretentious?
A: ELP

As a fan of Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Jethro Tull and countless other progressive rock bands of that time, this album just works for me. I give it a 9.5, rounded up, a 10.

Last edited:
I gave it a '9'. As everyone else says this is a fun disc, the music was made for surround. Thankfully it was giving a very appropriate mix. Unless you really don't like the band, this should be in your collection. Hell, even if you don't like ELP buy it and play it for your friends, maybe they'll "convert" to the whole world of 5.1

Back