HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY [DVD-A][2000 WB]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of ELP - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY [2000 WB]

• Total voters
May the Force be with you!
OTOH, it's one of the best MCH mixes ever!!!
I'd recommend the DVD-A version in spite of its clumsy authoring...but IT IS worth it!
I also have the SACD version....which I'm not very fond of...

It is a fun mix.
I wonder what will happen to the resale value of the DVD-A if SW remixes BSS and it gets released as a DVD-A

May the Force be with you!
OTOH, it's one of the best MCH mixes ever!!!
I'd recommend the DVD-A version in spite of its clumsy authoring...but IT IS worth it!
I also have the SACD version....which I'm not very fond of...

The force is with me!!!

I won an auction on ebay... hope its worth the money paid!!!

When this was released in 5.1, I'd ask clients if they had heard this album. Sure. Well, you've never heard it like this! Sit down please...
...and I guess it was like the Maxell ad...they sat down and the 100 MPH winds started!!!!

Yes, being an ELP fan and having listened to it dozens of times-and having a pristine Japanese LP with poster, blurbs and excellent pressing,
I was
FLOOORRED
when I listened to the DVD-A....
Jerusalem especially, ,,,it always sounded shrouded and in here it becomes "Toonland" bright (Roger Rabbit??), exposing all kinds of things and making it a complete revelation....
This is one of my top DVD-As....

You really need to hear Brain Salad Surgery on the SACD too. I think it's better. I have both.

The only detraction about the DVD-A for me is the inclusion of "Lucky Man". It shouldn't be there, it should be on a proper surround release of the first ELP album. They should have included the single "Brain Salad Surgery" or "Tiger in the Spotlight" instead.

I'm still waiting for the first album and Tarkus, Trilogy, etc. C'mon Greg, hop to it.
I'll buy them all.

"Brain Salad Surgery" would have been a logical choice for inclusion on the BSS DVD-A but not Tiger In the Spotlight. "When The Apple Blooms Bloom In the Windmills Of Your Mind..." would have been the other extra for BSS.

OK...
This Kellogg guy took the right = (meaning the "correct" step further), he boosted all the right EQ's and made it out to what its potential that was inteded to be"

....¡Olé!

Hey, which is excellent, when compared to these correct and mostly FLAT TRANSFERS by SW (ELP I and Trkaus), bot 2 disc stes with booklets---REALLY THIK , TOO!) , which is another kind of blessing...we only need "Trilogy"

released in on the original quad mix,

AND

a brand new Surruond mix------come on, you KNOW TOU WANT TOto SW MIX THIS DOWN IN SURROUND ).....don't you)----some on , admit it...if only from a perspective alternate view....

Come on Steve!!!
(unless....2 Scorpios battling this, ¡s not a pretty sight , so, for now, we'll skip it altogeter......

Good Evening!,

Master G

No stereo mix on the DVD-A is a serious oversight, particularly when it's called out on the packaging as being there. My cassette recordings of DVD-A and SACD stereo mixes blow away the CD player in my Infiniti I30, and I'd like to have it for this one as well.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this album and the DVD-A surround mix, but since I first bought in when it was released in high school I've always found it painfully bright and wish they would have backed that down just a bit to where it is on Emerson, Lake & Palmer. I like overall equalization of Trilogy even better, but I get that the brightness was a conscious creative choice that is consistent with the material. Future, metallic, cold, I get it. I just wish they'd have backed it off a wee bit.

No stereo mix on the DVD-A is a serious oversight, particularly when it's called out on the packaging as being there. My cassette recordings of DVD-A and SACD stereo mixes blow away the CD player in my Infiniti I30, and I'd like to have it for this one as well.

That suggests your car cassette recording is simply louder and/or less dynamic range than your CD player. Level-matched playback might be revealing.

The original stereo mix is in the video folder. It's still lossless 24/96 PCM (DVDV supports this).

This 5.1 remix is really well done. Especially for being one of the early DVDA releases when there were so many hack job 5.1 remixes. My only complaint was the DVD was riddled with DRM. I nearly returned it at the time for that. I was finally able to jack around and rip the thing to 5.1 flac files (I use the computer for all media and listen with Apogee converters).

The original stereo mix is in the video folder. It's still lossless 24/96 PCM (DVDV supports this).

I don't see the 24/96 stereo in the video folder.. only Dolby Digital for the album & 16/48 for the video clips...

Just looked in mine and there is not only no sign of a 24/96 stereo, even a downmix that I can see (although it must be there as a downmix option) but tracks 3,4 & 6 are 5.0 where the rest are 5.1.
There is no stereo in the Video_TS either - it is simply not there.

Just looked in mine and there is not only no sign of a 24/96 stereo, even a downmix that I can see (although it must be there as a downmix option) but tracks 3,4 & 6 are 5.0 where the rest are 5.1.

noted a few years back in this very thread
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...AD-SURGERY-DVD-A&p=88317&viewfull=1#post88317

There is no stereo in the Video_TS either - it is simply not there.

There's a couple of stereo tracks for the video clips -- but not for the album. This absence happened on some early DVD-A releases --- IIRC Natalie Merchant's 'Tigerlily' was another case. In the case of BSS, I vaguely recall reading that the 2-track master tapes could not be located/delivered in time for the DVD-A release. Which would be odd since I think they'd already been used on a CD remastering or two by then....

Back