HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY [DVD-A][2000 WB]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of ELP - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY [2000 WB]

• Total voters
That suggests your car cassette recording is simply louder and/or less dynamic range than your CD player. Level-matched playback might be revealing.

No, it's not levels. Early CD players and even this one make many highs sound fake. Technology has come a long way and newer CD players are significantly better thank goodness. My cassettes were made with very high quality cartridges, 'tables, tapes or DVD-A or SACD as source and excellent recording decks. Of course there is tape noise but it's pure high quality analog or 96k/24 or 192k/24 digital which beats the undersampled 44.1k/16 bit digital available in this Car and most other systems. More musical and pleasant. I catch my kids tapping their feet to tape and they'll listen to a whole album of "old man music" as they call it. Yet I've played the same album on CD before and its tough to get through a song.

One of the interesting curiosities about CD is that many CDs and players are inordinately bright. Many so-called "audio experts" think brightness is the same as clarity. When I sold audio, many of my peers thought this and they'd play Dolby Encoded tapes without Dolby to Make them sound clearer.

Last edited:
You guys are right! Never noticed that before. had the dam disc how many years now? 7-8 yrs and just saw that.

When I first got this disc I read the cover that said it had hi resolution stereo audio and couldn't find it. I called the publisher, Rhino I believe, and was told "yeah, we know. It was an oversight". They didn't say if the missing stereo was an oversight or if the packaging detail was the oversight.

There is no 24/96 on mine. If somebody has it they need to rip and upload it, I need proof :)
BSS.jpg

Advanced resolution stereo is vaporware on mine. Recently, a friend in the record business asked if mine had it, 'cause his doesn't and he's never heard a copy with it.

It was the first DVD-A I bought. Mine is in a CD size case and I got it at the now-defunct Crow's Nest on State & Jackson in Downtown Chicago in December '99.

Crap! I'm starting vicious rumors. I'm sorry, I'm flat out wrong, there's no stereo mix to be found on the disc as everyone else has noted.
So, where did those stereo 24/96 flac files on my hard drive come from? I don't remember transferring the vinyl...

Maybe someone was so wrapped up in their little DRM festival that they forgot to include it? I remember almost returning it for refund when I bought it. But I figured out that only the root level folder was restricted (obviously the content needs to play!) and simply copied it to hard drive and ripped the content from the copy. Probably should have still returned it on principle but I kept it.

Sorry for the wild goose chase!

Crap! I'm starting vicious rumors. I'm sorry, I'm flat out wrong, there's no stereo mix to be found on the disc as everyone else has noted.
So, where did those stereo 24/96 flac files on my hard drive come from? I don't remember transferring the vinyl...

Maybe someone was so wrapped up in their little DRM festival that they forgot to include it? I remember almost returning it for refund when I bought it. But I figured out that only the root level folder was restricted (obviously the content needs to play!) and simply copied it to hard drive and ripped the content from the copy. Probably should have still returned it on principle but I kept it.

Sorry for the wild goose chase!

Honest mistake. NP. Considered yourself chastised by a beating with a wet noodle!

I have a copy of BSS redone in stereo by one of our members. have not seen him recently though. Actually sounds very good. He re did it and said he gave K E a copy, but suspects he never bothered to hear it.
(96/24)

No, it's not levels. Early CD players and even this one make many highs sound fake. Technology has come a long way and newer CD players are significantly better thank goodness. My cassettes were made with very high quality cartridges, 'tables, tapes or DVD-A or SACD as source and excellent recording decks. Of course there is tape noise but it's pure high quality analog or 96k/24 or 192k/24 digital which beats the undersampled 44.1k/16 bit digital available in this Car and most other systems. More musical and pleasant. I catch my kids tapping their feet to tape and they'll listen to a whole album of "old man music" as they call it. Yet I've played the same album on CD before and its tough to get through a song.

Have to wonder how flat the frequency response of your cassette deck is up in the 'highs', as well as what the crosstalk (channel separation) is like, compared to CDPs of any vintage...and too there's the so called analog 'warmth' of tape, which is a form of euphonic distortion. But I really do think it's mainly level. Level mismatches can cause all kinds of psychaocoustic perceptual mischief .

As for 'undersampling', I don't think high sample rates do what you think they do .

One of the interesting curiosities about CD is that many CDs and players are inordinately bright.

No CDP i have ever seen test results for shows as 'bright'...i.e, tipped up in the treble (or down in the bass).
Again, ruler-flat response across the audible frequency band is simply not an issue for CD players. To account for audible inaccuracy, you'd have to start invoking poor reconstruction filtering, or wonky analog output circuitry, or the magical jitter gnomes.

ssully. How utterly condescending to suggest that I'm apparently not qualified to render an opinion on the various mixes and source material of this fine album. I won't do that again. Apparently I don't know how to set levels and I'm fooled by analog warmth.

It's an opinion, not some referendum on qualification. I'm sure we're all very impressed with your superior understanding of my source material and hardware. I didn't realize that I didn't understand my own systems. LMAO

ssully. How utterly condescending to suggest that I'm apparently not qualified to render an opinion on the various mixes and source material of this fine album. I won't do that again. Apparently I don't know how to set levels and I'm fooled by analog warmth.

It's an opinion, not some referendum on qualification. I'm sure we're all very impressed with your superior understanding of my source material and hardware. I didn't realize that I didn't understand my own systems. LMAO

You made a whole bunch'o claims that went well beyond opinion -- you offered your understandings of 'why' things sound as the do. And those claims are what I was addressing. I don't care a fig whether you prefer one presentation over another. But when you say it's because one is 'undersampled' ....:rolleyes:

A lot of positive posts in this thread. But I still have issues with the mix. For a considerable amount of the time it comes across as a front 3 presentation. Too often there is only the same signal in the rears that is playing in the fronts. Or just gimmickry with sounds bouncing from one speaker to another. It just doesn't add up to a satisfying listening experience for me. Can't say that I am surprised as this was one of the very first 5.1 mixes (2000).

I am looking forward to the new mix by Jakko Jakszyck. I have a feeling that he will deliver a well-constructed surround mix that will make this music a special listening experience.

I love this disc. A 10 for me. It's perhaps the most aggressive 5.1 mix I've heard but is perfectly suited for the over-the-top arrangements. I'll be curious to hear Jakko's approach to it.

One side note - this is one of a handful of older DVD-A titles I own which pauses a few seconds between tracks as the player searches. The machine makes some 'shifting' noises and often cuts off the first half second or so of the track. Worst of all on BSS it destroys the smooth segue between the 2nd and 3rd Impressions of Karn Evil. I use a Cambridge Audio azur 650BD but it also occurred with my old player (Pioneer DV-563A). Anyone else experience this?

Back