HiRez Poll Corrs - IN BLUE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Corrs - IN BLUE

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

I scored In Blue a 7. The track Breathless sounds great and is clearly the best cut on the album and worthy demonstration material. The rest of the album never reaches the level of the first cut but is still worth a listen. Recommended.

tcdriver

I vote a 9. I like the Corrs a lot. This was my introducrion to their music. I bought it because it was in surround, and now i have all their CD's. Good music and good surround mix on this one. :)

I really like this title but it is not something I come back to very often. It does offer a nice change of pace. The recording and production quality is top-notch. The song-writing is very good overall. The only real downside is that it doesn't hold my attention for more than a few songs. Definitely above average. 7 points.

I gave this one a 9, I am very fond of their music, and the surround mix is excellent. I subtracted a point for the video of Breathless being in stereo only.

Enjoyable music, pleasant enough surround mix.

Main gripe is the overall sonics. A cheap, plasticky high-end pervades -- all the percussion sounds like an 80's drum machine. In fact, the whole soundscape reminds me of 80's stuff like Banarama, which eschewed quality for a kind of retro thing that teenagers probably loved on their cheap car stereos. Doesn't measure up to 2005 standards at all.

I'm feeling generous so I'll give it a 6.

eggplant said:
Enjoyable music, pleasant enough surround mix.

Main gripe is the overall sonics. A cheap, plasticky high-end pervades -- all the percussion sounds like an 80's drum machine. In fact, the whole soundscape reminds me of 80's stuff like Banarama, which eschewed quality for a kind of retro thing that teenagers probably loved on their cheap car stereos. Doesn't measure up to 2005 standards at all.

I'm feeling generous so I'll give it a 6.
Two words...MUTT LANGE!

Watch The Corrs Unplugged to see and hear how great they were before Dr Evil turned them into The Shanias!:mad:

I have the Corrs Unplugged video, and agree it is fantastic. I wish they would play that style all the time. But i do like this disc also.:)

I got this Friday from CDUniverse.com. I've loved this album since it came out back in 2000 and hearing it on DVD-A for the first time was a revelation. The surround mix is excellent and the softer songs have a great warmth to them. This disc is definitely in the top 20 that I own. I'll give it a 9.

Hey there Felix,

I have an extra copy of this disc. Let me know if your interested.

Thanks, Gabe

Thanks to Gabe, I'm now enjoying this disc.

I was very pleasantly surprised that this modern, sleek production had very good dynamic range and a smooth high-end. I'm thinking of the Dire Straits Brothers In Arms SACD (or DualDisc), which is heavily brick-wall limited and extremely sibilant and harsh in the highs. That's not present here.

The mixes of some songs are excellent and as we say here at QQ, "discrete." "Breathless" is a standout - I've heard it numerous times on the radio, but in 5.1, lots of interesting things are happening. However, other songs are devoid of almost any discrete surround activity. A quick look at the production credits reveals those songs were produced by the band themselves. The inconsistency is so great, that I have a feeling that the multitrack elements for these tunes weren't readily available for the surround mix.

I want to listen again, more carefully, before voting. Right now, I would give it a 6 or 7.

Also, the disc (an early release for the DVD-A format) was authored so that the video features can only be seen by DVD-A players (someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I could not find the video of "Breathless" when I popped the disc into my DVD-V player in my bedroom). I might have to knock it back to 6.

But I'm still enjoying it ;)

I just received this as well. The songs and mixes are a bit hit or miss, but overall I'm enjoying the album in surround. I will give it a few listens before voting, and add more to my review. The video is in the video_ts folder, I can access it directly on the computer, but on a standalone it's too bad you must access it through the dvd-audio menu only.

In my interview with Spence Chrislu (the fellow who authored all the WB/Rhino discs), he did admit that they learned real quick how to improve upon and standardize (if there is such a word) the disc menus and features. The DVD-A authoring software and spec was changing all thru 2000-2001. So I'll cut this disc some slack and give it a 7.

I only have a prob with the mixes on tracks 2 and 3 - they have very little "discrete" rear info - but it is there. Curious how inconsistent the mix choices are, song to song.

Last edited:
Saw this on E-pay the other day and put a £5 bid on it just on the off chance and forgot about it (went on holday). Low and behold i actually won the damn thing.

A pleasant enough disc not my first choice for music but my wife likes it which makes it a keeper !!!:D

Nice mix and not as bad as I was expecting. Worth the money anyway descrete where it needs to be.

Back