HiRez Poll Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD (UK - Quad Mix) [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD (UK)

• Total voters
Deep Purple earned it's place in rock history, numerous books detail their exploits through the years. And they ain't dead folks.....

What also set them apart from a number of hard rock bands was they could WRITE. Great players who can write are much harder to come by and generally prove to be more popular.

Ian Gillan had an incredible range and today has only a portion of it to use. Perpendicular (1996) shows the band still writing great material around Ian's voice as it is today.

Richie Blackmore has always been at the top of the list as influential guitarists go. Whether with Deep Purple, Rainbow or Blackmore's Night, he usually has something going on that people want to hear more of.

Today, Steve Morse's (Dixie Dregs, Kansas, etc) amazing guitar and writing skills have pushed the band even further, re-inventing the group and re-invigorating their concert classics. While Richie's more closely identified with DP, Morse is has far wider utility as a player IMHO.

Jon Lord's keyboards were the perfect foil for Richie's guitar. Their writing and arrangements took advantage of their playing skills and their telepathic live interplay was not a fluke. Jon tired of the road and now Don Airey fills this slot.

Roger Glover is a great rock bass player; always was. His choice of using a Rickenbacher 4001 bass during the Machine Head days was a smart one. It blended nicely with the guitar/keyboards interplay and stands out in a nice way, always supportive, yet distinctive tones. The irony is the bass on the back cover (four machine heads = tuners) is a Fender Precision, Machine Head would not have been the same had he used it.

Ian Paice is a great drummer no matter what the other players were doing. Check out his work all over Made In Japan (touring for Machine Head) or any live material where he could cut loose. Solid player with a rare gift; taste.

Along the way, they wrote a few classics:
Hush, Strange Kind Of Woman, Child In Time, Highway, Smoke On The Water, Space Truckin', My Woman From Tokyo, Burn, You Fool No One, Pictures Of Home, Black Night, Perfect Strangers, Speed King, Lazy, Maybe I'm A Leo

In summary, doing this type of music is difficult, because if it's done poorly, it's little more than a cliche cartoon. When done properly, it's really great. Deep Purple isn't even in my personal top 10 these days but they are undeniably on the worthwhile rock group list for all time.

Along the way, they wrote a few classics:
Hush, Strange Kind Of Woman, Child In Time, Highway, Smoke On The Water, Space Truckin', My Woman From Tokyo, Burn, You Fool No One, Pictures Of Home, Black Night, Perfect Strangers, Speed King, Lazy, Maybe I'm A Leo.

I don't think they deserve writing credit for "Hush", I remember that one from prior to Deep Purple, it is a great cover and certainly a big change from the original. Joe South wrote it.

Chris

I don't think they deserve writing credit for "Hush", I remember that one from prior to Deep Purple, it is a great cover and certainly a big change from the original. Joe South wrote it.

Chris

True, and Neil Diamond wrote Kentucky Woman; but Deep Purple's versions of both songs are still great.

I love Mistreated from the Live in Europe album. GREAT blues. I think the think I like about them is that they are so diverse ... not just heavy, and always tasteful.

To this day I still love my Rickenbacker 4001, and Deep Purple, Yes and Rush were the main reasons I bought it so many years ago. Mike.

True, and Neil Diamond wrote Kentucky Woman; but Deep Purple's versions of both songs are still great.

I love Mistreated from the Live in Europe album. GREAT blues. I think the think I like about them is that they are so diverse ... not just heavy, and always tasteful.

To this day I still love my Rickenbacker 4001, and Deep Purple, Yes and Rush were the main reasons I bought it so many years ago. Mike.

I have only recently gotten into Rush, but have been a Deep Purple fan since the late 60's or early 70's. I even remember their cover of the Ike and Tina Turner song "River Deep, Mountain High" and had the album with that and "Kentucky Woman" before anybody here really knew much about the group. I got that album because I loved the Vanilla Fudge debut which covered "You Keep Me Hanging On" and thought heavy rock covers of familiar great pop and R&B songs were great to show friends.

I can see now, they changed a lot and really hit their stride with this album which is far and away the best I have heard from them. I had listened to it in the mid 70's and also their live album which was more popular with my friends but sort of dismissed them thinking Led Zeppelin was the only heavy rock worth owning. I was wrong, "Machine Head" ranks with the best of the heavy rock albums I am aware of at least in this version.

Chris

I WANT YOUR RICKENBACKER!!!!!!!!! It's my favorite bass guitar, but my "sound" is more "Genesis" stuff.
Luca.
:smokin :ugham:

Hi Luca. Merry Christmas! To paraphrase how my American neighbours feel about their guns ... you can have my Rickenbacker when you pry it from my cold dead hands! :D

In 1978, a few months before he passed away, my grandfather (who was a fine musician) took me to the local music store and told me to pick out the bass of my dreams. I had been playing for a number of years already, and although he couldn't tell me in so many words, it was his way of telling me that I had come of age as a musician. Mike.

Last edited:
FINALLY got this, and for only $15US!

Love the discrete mix. Nice bottom end too. Those old quad to SACD mixes (Blow By Blow, Headhunters) really have that little something over their modern mix counterparts. Must be the analog equipment they used.

Really enjoyed this. 9.

FINALLY got this, and for only $15US!

Love the discrete mix. Nice bottom end too. Those old quad to SACD mixes (Blow By Blow, Headhunters) really have that little something over their modern mix counterparts. Must be the analog equipment they used.

Really enjoyed this. 9.

That was a great find, I saw it listed where you picked it up. The DVD-A of this title is also expensive and I would like to hear it, but don't guess I will ever get the chance.

Chris

" The DVD-A of this title is also expensive and I would like to hear it, but don't guess I will ever get the chance. "

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listi...256072-4671515?ie=UTF8&qid=1173439912&sr=1-11

I got a copy here a short time ago !

~M~

That is the best price I have seen in some time, I just can't convince myself I need two different versions of this work even though it is a favorite from the era for me. I really just wanted to hear it since I usually prefer the recent mixes of these old albums. In this case the chance I would like it better than the SACD is slim, the SACD is terrific.

Chris

Actually this seller's service blows; 169 negatives in the last month. I ordered a DVD from them for my son's birthday and gave up many weeks after the event. They are too big for their own good.

If you check completed auctions, the Machine SACD has been offered by a Hong Kong seller for $22.99 several times a week with $5.00 shipping for months now.

Um, because they didn't develop amnesia so badly there about SACD production? Brian M's SACD stats have included HK releases for years...

Why so many sacd's from Hong Kong?

There has clearly been an interest in SACD in Hong Kong from the start of the format.

In fact, at one point all of the major labels in Hong Kong - including Warner (!) - were issuing Super Audio CDs.

That explains why the success of the Hong Kong based sellers on eBay. They have titles to offer that aren't available in other markets, such as the U.S.

Actually this seller's service blows; 169 negatives in the last month. I ordered a DVD from them for my son's birthday and gave up many weeks after the event. They are too big for their own good.

If you check completed auctions, the Machine SACD has been offered by a Hong Kong seller for $22.99 several times a week with $5.00 shipping for months now.

Sure, $3 higher and it comes from Hong Kong, it takes quite a while, I know I have ordered from that seller, but he is reliable. The redtagmarket seller has about 110,000 positive feedback to put the negatives in perspective. I would suspect delays like yours are rare based on the comments with the positive feedback. No matter now since the item has sold.

Chris

There has clearly been an interest in SACD in Hong Kong from the start of the format.

In fact, at one point all of the major labels in Hong Kong - including Warner (!) - were issuing Super Audio CDs.

That explains why the success of the Hong Kong based sellers on eBay. They have titles to offer that aren't available in other markets, such as the U.S.

Good for Hong Kong, I wish things had gone that way here. Do you know of a non-eBay source for the Hong Kong titles? Is Hong Kong still seeing releases?

Chris

Finally got a copy of this off of ebay. I didn't want to go over $25 and I was able to do that and boy am I glad I did. This was a blast. I have always preferred "In Rock" to Machine Head, but this is one great SACD. Lazy is superb! When a Blind Man Cries is a very nice addition to the disc as well. Highly recommended!

Back