HiRez Poll Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD (UK - Quad Mix) [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD (UK)

• Total voters
Wow; you mean all they had to do was close the stores and they'd start getting competitivce on prices? That link came up goofy so here's one to the item:

http://www.tower.com/details/details.cfm?wapi=106892965

I paid $25 and it came from Hong Kong; tis a GREAT disc!

Now I gotta comb through Tower's site soon; out of sight, out of mind.

You guys that got this for < $25 while you could were the smart ones. I read all the great things about this title and found a copy at Amazon UK for about $80 USD.

These OOP collectibles are killing my entertainment budget!

The mix is fantastic! Completely artificial but completely exciting :D I gave it a 10.
Musically and mix wise, I liked the obvious track and both takes of Lazy, and the last track, While Blind Man Cries, the best. Others were good to very good, but Space Truckin' was my least favorite song. Could easily have thrown it out, as far as I'm concerned.

I've never been a fanboy of Deep Purple anyway, even back in my rock days. But this was worth getting if just for Smoke on the Water.

This is a very expensive title to buy now, sorry to say. One sold on Ebay recently for about 80 and the cheapest amazon seller is $198!!! Ridiculous...

Hi.
I discovered something interesting. I have 3 pieces of this album and the two are different. Both have the same serial number 07243 5386012 7, Printed in the EU. The books are the same. There are a few differences.
1. Disc - One CD Made in Japan, second Made in EU. In Europe the shift of overprints . More golden color on the bottom disc version of Japan. Numbers (Japan IFPI L275); (IFPI L558 EU) EU version of the inscription on the Sony DADC, the Japanese lack.
2. Box - (Japan - Small Hinge), (EU Large Hinge)
3. Back cover - additional words in the Japanese version of "This label copy is the subject of copyright protection in 2003 EMI Records Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

Strange as all the descriptions of this album (Discogs, sa-cd.net) suggest that there is only the European version. One serial number, but two different discs.

Which version do you have in your collections ?

An odd question I know, but please bear with me.

Does anyone know the source of the 3 bonus tracks on the SACD? Could Sony have used tracks from the DVD-A release?

An odd question I know, but please bear with me.

Does anyone know the source of the 3 bonus tracks on the SACD? Could Sony have used tracks from the DVD-A release?

I always wondered also if the bonus tacks are from the DVD-A (and now Japan SACD) release.....anyone know?

The bonus track(s) for the various Machine Head surround releases are as follows:

DVD-A 2001 = 5.1 mix: When A Blind Man Cries + two VIDEO tracks Highway Star & Lazy
SACD 2003 = quad mix: When A Blind Man Cries + Maybe I'm A Leo & Lazy (alternate mixes)
SACD 2011 = 5.1 mix: When A Blind Man Cries

Yes, but my question is did Sony take those two "alternative mixes" as well as Blind Man that appear on the original SACD directly from the original DVDA release?

Sorry mate, we're not connecting. The alternate mixes do not appear on the DVD-A or new 2011 SACD so I don't understand your question.

As to whether the same version of Blind Man is on all three releases, I can't say for sure but I'd really expect this was only prepared once.

Sorry, I probably have been a bit obscure.

What I meant was are the "alternative mixes" on the SACD just the standard mixes of those tracks as opposed to new 5.1 mixes from the masters or some other previously unreleased mix?

The question behind the question is if it is possible for the three bonus tracks on the SACD to have DVDA watermarking embedded into them because they had originally been prepared for the DVDA release?

If - in theory - someone were to rip all the tracks from the SACD and create a DVDA from them, is it possible that when played in watermark-detecting DVDA player that the main album tracks would be fine, but the three bonus tracks would trigger the watermark detection and not play?

The only audio bonus track on DVD-A is Blind Man that would be watermarked. Since the track was also used on the 2003 SACD there is a non-watermarked version available. There is no reason tho think that the 2011 SACD is watermarked in any way; it would be out of spec for SACD.

Again the other two "bonus" tracks on the DVD-A are VIDEO and watermarking doesn't apply whatsoever.

The only audio bonus track on DVD-A is Blind Man that would be watermarked. Since the track was also used on the 2003 SACD there is a non-watermarked version available. There is no reason tho think that the 2011 SACD is watermarked in any way; it would be out of spec for SACD.

Again the other two "bonus" tracks on the DVD-A are VIDEO and watermarking doesn't apply whatsoever.

The SACD spec specifically prohibits watermarking? I recall an interview with Sony engineers - in Stereophile I think - where they mention that Watermarking isn't required or prohibited - it's up to the individual record companies but they (Sony) felt that SACD's various methods used to prevent copying made watermarking a non-issue. Were the spec's changed to prohibit watermarking?

Whatever. I'd never seen SACD and watermarking in the same sentence nor heard any mention of it. I never associated the two ideas based on that.

Yes, but my question is did Sony take those two "alternative mixes" as well as Blind Man that appear on the original SACD directly from the original DVDA release?

I haven't done a detailed comparison of the alternative mixes on the 2003 SACD with the DVD-A, but I have noticed some sound queues on the SACD alternative Lazy mix that led me to think it came from the DVD-A mix. I'd say there is a good chance it is the DVD-A mix. I doubt if any watermarking would be passed through.

The only audio bonus track on DVD-A is Blind Man that would be watermarked. Since the track was also used on the 2003 SACD there is a non-watermarked version available.

It has been suggested to me that that the 2003 SACD version of Blind Man does contain watermarking when converted back to DVD-A.

it would be out of spec for SACD.

That is what I thought would be the case - but t has been suggested otherwise.

Just to clarify, I was asking if the "alternative" mixes on the 2003 SACD could be the "standard" mixes of those two songs from the DVD-A. I know they wouldn't be from the videos.

EDIT: I have located a another conversion done by someone else back in 2009. That would pre-date the current PS3 ripping method. However, that conversion also has reports that the 3 bonus tracks trigger watermark-detecting players.

Thanks for your input, everyone.

Last edited:
Back