HiRez Poll Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD (UK - Quad Mix) [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD (UK)

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Post your thoughts and comments on the UK/EU SACD issue of this title, which contains the original UK EMI Quadraphonic mix.

Comments about the August 2011 Japanese Released 5.1 SACD from WB/Rhino should be made in the appropriate thread as linked below:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...389-Deep-Purple-MACHINE-HEAD-DVD-A-SACD-JAPAN

THANKS

R-1876617-1441606291-6502.jpeg.jpg

R-1876617-1441606289-7181.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
howcan you go wrong with the original quad mix of this title!!! One of my all-time faves in all it's original glory! :banana:

Excellent all the way through. I like the DVD-A too but the SACD is the one I play the most. 10

Any place to buy this from at a decent price? Can anyone find it on the Elusive Disc website. Their search doesn't work. Acoustic Sounds wants $30 plus "shipping and handling".

CD Jungle(UK, I believe)has it for 12.99 british pounds, which comes to 24.43, and that include worldwide shipping...I think that's reasonable...Acoustic Sounds, on the main, is never reasonable, they have a tendency to overcharge on some stuff....

ED :)

The original is still the greatest(that is, a perfect '10' from this fan). As I stated in the DVD-A thread, this mix has a playfulness and full discrete separation I always enjoyed with the WB vinyl, and it's replicated wonderfully here. While I am interested as to WHY the Quad mix wound up on an import--let alone a multi-channel disc when the DVD-A 5.1 mix was already available--is a mystery I really don't care to ponder, since this was an unexpected treat! Those who prefer logic or everything front and center and less activity in the rears might not like it, but this is the sort of album that made me a convert back in the day, and it's still a joy to listen to every now and again.

Now, if someone would extricate the Quad master of PARANOID....:banana:

Yeeeeeaaargggh! Yesterday I was in concert with Ian Gillan - it was * ! 3 songs from Machine Head and i found that... there are missing surrounds ! :D

Bob Romano said:
howcan you go wrong with the original quad mix of this title!!! One of my all-time faves in all it's original glory! :banana:

Excellent all the way through. I like the DVD-A too but the SACD is the one I play the most. 10

Agreed. Nice to have this one available on SACD Surround.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This disc sounds excellent!! Fantastic mix!!! Makes my DVD-A copy an instant coaster!! This is the one to get!! :smokin

kumquad

Machine Head as always been a favorite vintage quad title that I always come back to. Having the original quad mix on SACD is the ultimate. 10 points, no doubt about it!

(y)

Ed Bishop said:
The original is still the greatest(that is, a perfect '10' from this fan). As I stated in the DVD-A thread, this mix has a playfulness and full discrete separation I always enjoyed with the WB vinyl, and it's replicated wonderfully here. While I am interested as to WHY the Quad mix wound up on an import--let alone a multi-channel disc when the DVD-A 5.1 mix was already available--is a mystery I really don't care to ponder, since this was an unexpected treat! Those who prefer logic or everything front and center and less activity in the rears might not like it, but this is the sort of album that made me a convert back in the day, and it's still a joy to listen to every now and again.

Now, if someone would extricate the Quad master of PARANOID....:banana:

It's on the way.
Will be a DVD-A/V very soon, I can guarantee it.
(Just as soon as I can locate a small catch reel....)
:banana:

Who's putting out this Paranoid DVD-A release?

All I read about Warner Brothers is gutting the company to make way for IPO soon...

After living with the DVD-A since its release, I finally got the SACD at the ouchy price of $30+.

Overall, I think I've made clear that I am not a fan of "the great old quad mixes." There are some gems, but frankly many of them are just slapdash botch jobs with dated sonics to boot. I haven't heard the quad mix of this title for at least two decades, but I remember liking it, other than being annoyed by the alternate guitar solo on "Maybe I'm a Leo" and a few other minor differences.

That said, it's shocking how superior this is to the DVD-A. (They've made it very convenient to compare mixes, as several of the new ones are included as bonus tracks on the SACD.) Why is it better? Like most DVD-A mixes, the newer one is much more contemporary, using much more sophisticated effects (I'm speaking here not of surround placement, but digital reverb, eq, etc.) The quad mix is simple, stark, and -- this is key -- natural. Not tricky or clever, it simply lets the music do the heavy lifting.

I think there's a theme running through many of the posts here regarding mixes:

We prefer mixes faithful to the original, with WELL-SEPARATED instruments and no gimmicks.

I think this is the root of criticism of other MMMMM's (Much-Maligned Major Multichannel Mixes) such as DSOTM.

Other than the alternate Leo solo (and where _is_ that original solo, anyway?), this could be Exhibit A.

eggplant said:
I think there's a theme running through many of the posts here regarding mixes:

We prefer mixes faithful to the original, with WELL-SEPARATED instruments and no gimmicks.
Although it is probably Off-Topic to discuss surround mix preferences here, I feel temped to drop in 2 pennies.
The theme is resonating in many posts but that doesn't mean everybody is the same opinion every time.

At test presentations of (mainly classical) 5.1 music it appeared that some listeners preferred "ambient" mixes and others "discrete" mixes, plus they disliked the other choice.
Speaking for myself, mixes that just put the lead vocal in the center and ambience (reverb, delay) in the rear don't do it for me. But I don't get upset if the original is changed for the better (subjective of course). Some of the 70-ties mixes are drenched in reverb or lacking tight bass.
And what do you mean by gimmicks? I love it when an interesting sound moves to another position on a fitting moment (sorry to be so vague :) ). It should just not be overdone (like Jean Michel Jarre).

Last edited:
Very nice - I gave it a 9. I've had the Q4 conversion for some time and really like it. The only disappointment with the SACD is that it doesn't sounds leaps and bounds better than the DTS conversion. (Understand, I wanted to be blown away by the improvement :D ) That being said, it does sound very good, the mix and music are great. I guess this really says that the Q4 conversion is very good.

For what it's worth - I picked this up on ebay from a record store in Hong Kong with the Tubular Bells SACD. With combined postage I wound up paying about $23 USD ea. Shipping was 6 days to California, items were well packaged.

A definate 10. Superb, much better than the DVD-A version. Quad mix is great. :)

Purchased this disc to hear the Quad mix of 'Smoke on the Water'. Brilliant!
Also liked the track 'Lazy', the two songs have an amazing surround mix to them. The album as a whole is pretty good and recording quality is excellent considering the age of the material. A definate must have for Deep Purple fans. 9/10 (y)

One of the best musical experiences I ever had.
It sounds so great, and the quadriphonic mix is so good !

A 10, with no discussion (y)

Looking forward to compare it to the DVD-A :phones

I just picked up this up and I am absolutely floored. I was too young to really know what quad was all about and if this SACD is any indication, I may now understand why some of you quadheads fell in love with it. Not only do these songs sound crystal clear, the quad mix is really interesting and not at all murky or distracting. This is going to become a demo disc I believe.....

Back