HiRez Poll Knopfler, Mark - SHANGRI-LA [SACD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Mark Knopfler - SHANGRI-LA

• Total voters
Well stated. He obviously is a surround fan, putting out his solo stuff during the down side of surround, and he has probably spearheaded getting Brothers in Arms out in surround.

However, after listening to Sailing to Philadelphia on DVD-A, I was impressed with the sound, but not the surround mix. It was a bit disappointing.

I think Chuck Ainlay was as much the driving force behind Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler making it out in surround sound.

http://chuckainlay.com/bio.php

Chuck also mixed the Vince Gill "High Lonesome Sound" album into 5.1 for DTS CD (which then saw re-release on SACD/DVD-A), as well as George Strait's "Honkytonkville" which also saw release on SACD and DVD-Audio in 5.1.

The High Lonesome Sound mix is excellent, the Honkytonkville not so great.

Baggy go w/ an "8." Great sound. Not always as discreete as he like. Coo songs. Baggy live across the street from Max Baer Park, so coo to hear a song about the boxing legend from Livermore!!!

I was scanning through my SACDs for testing with the Oppo ripping tool and I found that I had this on SACD as well as the CD/DVD-A, so when I get a chance I will add the scan to post #1.

I voted 10. My disc is a 5.1 Hybrid SACD. It has a 2.0 SACD layer and it plays 2.0 in a regular CD player, for clarification.
Released in 2004.
If it where not for the round silver stick on that says SACD, you would never know.
Beautiful music, love his smooth guitar work and signing.
Fully enveloped in surround and discrete with many instruments. Sounds great in stereo also.

I voted 10. My disc is a 5.1 Hybrid SACD. It has a 2.0 SACD layer and it plays 2.0 in a regular CD player, for clarification.
Released in 2004.
If it where not for the round silver stick on that says SACD, you would never know.
Beautiful music, love his smooth guitar work and signing.
Fully enveloped in surround and discrete with many instruments. Sounds great in stereo also.
Nice review Marpow.
Knopfler is a truly great guitarist!
I've got this one also but never played it. The SACD version I mean.
In the past, I'd gotten what I thought was the DVD-A /CD but it was a CD & DVD video only version with no music on DVD.
You've motivated me to give it a listen, thanks.
FWIW, I just read that MFSL is going to release on SACD the great soundtrack from 'Local Hero' that Knopfler did.
Unfortunately, if like their other stuff, it'll be just Stereo not surround sound.

Edit update- Just finished listening to this. I give it a 9.
Actually very good. Having heard the cd version, I wasn't expecting much.
But I was wrong, this sounds a lot better in sacd surround.
The mix is quite discrete in some passages. A great listen šŸ˜

Last edited:
I gave it a 10 as well. Excellent multi~CH MLP DVD~A 5.1.

BTW, the Multi~CH SACD is still available from ImportCD for $10.99!!!!! Made in the EU
R-11478667-1605183241-1422.jpeg.jpg

https://www.importcds.com/shangri-la/602498677155

Last edited:
I would give it a 10 purely for the songs.
Mix is not too discrete, however, the rears have enough activity in them to call it truly 5.1. I have seen some horrendous 5.1 mixes that don't do this.

I would give it a 10 purely for the songs.
Mix is not too discrete, however, the rears have enough activity in them to call it truly 5.1. I have seen some horrendous 5.1 mixes that don't do this.
Chuck Ainlay (and Mark) embrace surround, thankfully. I'll take immersive and enjoyable over discrete and bland any day.

The title of this thread misspells the album title. It should be "Shangri-La," not "Shangra-La." Can this be changed?

EDIT: Thanks! Problem solved.

Last edited:
Finally got the chance to sink my teeth into this one.
Just like most Mark Knopfler album really pleasant to listen to and great fidelity.
I love how clear and warm is the sound of all his records.
Not as good as Sailing to Philadelphia or Tracker IMHO, but I'm sure it will be spinning on my system for a while.
As everyone said already, the surround is nothing special on this one. I'm missing some action in the back channels, but it doesn't really bother me
I'll give it a 7 but it could also be an 8

Widely available in Europe for decent prices! Was able to buy it for ā‚¬10 last week at Amazon.nl.
Got it today, did not get a chance to properly listen to it.

Back