HiRez Poll Knopfler, Mark - SHANGRI-LA [SACD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Mark Knopfler - SHANGRI-LA

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Post your thoughts and comments on this title. (y) (n)

Here is what the retail USA packaging looks like for the DVD-A/CD combo pack:

Attachments

• shang.jpg
    shang.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
MC Weissbier said:
That's not the DVD-A/CD package!

It's a special edition of the CD with a Bonus-Disc (DVD-V)

Sure it is. Inside is a DVD-A. This is the US package. The second disc clearly has a DVD-A logo on it.....

Good music. The surround mix is good but not great. It is a nice full mix, it just dosen't sound very discrete most of the time to me. And an awful lot of instruments in the center channel. It fair, a 7.

JonUrban said:
Sure it is. Inside is a DVD-A. This is the US package. The second disc clearly has a DVD-A logo on it.....

Sorry for that mistake!
On my english edition there is nearly the same sticker!
I thought you just published the wrong image.

So the content of the DVD-A is the complete album as on CD plus interview?

MC Weissbier said:
Sorry for that mistake!
On my english edition there is nearly the same sticker!
I thought you just published the wrong image.

So the content of the DVD-A is the complete album as on CD plus interview?

Don't worry about it. That's why I posted the picture. It's hard to tell these days just what we are buying. :mad:@:

JonUrban said:
Don't worry about it. That's why I posted the picture. It's hard to tell these days just what we are buying. :mad:@:

Italian edition is similar to the english one, dvd disc is just a dvd-video disc.
However the stereo cd decodes decisely well on DPL2... until i will find out the true dvd-a edition.

I was kind of bored by this one. It sounds nice but the mix is not really too discrete IMO. I kept waiting for something more exciting to happen. I was hoping for some moments like "The Man's Too Strong" or a "Telegraph Road" to come along but they are not here. I give it a sleepy 6.

JonUrban said:
Are there any DVD-A markings on the outside package? Are there any other clues to look for to determine the format? I 've ordered this from Overstock.com too much in a hurry and now I realize I'm probably going to get the DVD-Video version. I'll probably return it or resell it.

If you get the 2 disc CD/DVD package the cd is a cd and the DVD is a DVD-A with the usual Dolby Digital 5.1 mix as well... but it is a DVD-A disc. The same goes for the Sailing To Philadelphia 2 disc set.

quadtrade said:
This guy is so good, too bad he could not get the scheiner treatment.

Well stated. He obviously is a surround fan, putting out his solo stuff during the down side of surround, and he has probably spearheaded getting Brothers in Arms out in surround.

However, after listening to Sailing to Philadelphia on DVD-A, I was impressed with the sound, but not the surround mix. It was a bit disappointing.

recently aquired, nice sounding disc the music is not quite Dire Straits but the Knopfler sound is unmistakable.
the surround mix could be better but certainly not Silverlied
Goods disc nice extras.

Not a surround sound stunner, but a pleasant, laid back disc that sounds good to my ears. "Boom Like That" is a catchy, clever tune about Ray Kroc, who turned McDonald's into what it is today. An 8 to my ears.

Mark Z

Anyone have thoughts on a comparison between the sacd version and the dvd-audio version (strictly speaking about the surround mix)?

The songs are in the usual folk/country style Knopfler has adopted since the 2000's. Not that that's bad, just to know what to expect. No rock&roll here.
The mix is not bad at all, lot's of guitar and keyboard parts in the rear. But it's also not trying to impress, I think it fits the music. For being good but not great it deserves an 8.

Received this yesterday, have to say i absolutely love it ! Yes, there's not all kinds of sounds popping out the rears, but it's not that kind of music ! Relaxing, laid back, lyrical joy, is the way i'd describe it.

Received this yesterday, have to say i absolutely love it ! Yes, there's not all kinds of sounds popping out the rears, but it's not that kind of music ! Relaxing, laid back, lyrical joy, is the way i'd describe it.

Agree...not much activity in rear but nice warm vocal wins it for me...Good fidelity, solid album (I saw Mark Knopfler while touring for this album but it was not one of my favorites)...I like it more now...
A 9.

Back