HiRez Poll Johnson, Eric - AH VIA MUSICOM [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Eric Johnson - AH VIA MUSICOM

• Total voters
I guess Eric got really pissed off when this was released since they used the wrong tapes on some of the tracks and left out parts of others. Personally, I never would have known if he didn't make a stink about it. Still, I don't blame him for being pissed!

Be that as it may, I think this is great hard-rock, guitar-oriented album. The surround mix is quite nice! Unfortunately, it's not a title that I would term memorable and is not one I will revisit with any amount of frequency.

All-in-all, very enjoyable. A very strong 7 here.

I really like the CD. But there was something about this DVD-A that just never quite sounded right. (And I don't mean the odd bass line used in "Desert Rose".) It's too loud. Overall, I mean. Also, there's too much percussion in the rears for my tastes. Still... I'm very happy to own this disc. It doesn't get played at all, but I like having the bonus music video. You just never know when the urge to watch it might hit.

JonUrban said:
This was never redone correctly, right?

I don't think so. However, I would've liked to have heard EJ's remix. If Ah Via Musicom is never re-released, maybe we'll instead get one of EJ's other albums? That would be sweet!

Eric Johnson had committed on his website two years ago to re-doing this DVD-A properly. When I snooped around there in the past few months I didn't see ANY mention of the whole controversy. Who knows?

I'd prefer to have Tones or Alien Love Child DVD-A while I'm waiting on the re-do.

"Eric Johnson, please pick up the white courtesy telephone for a message".

Last edited:
eggplant said:
I have a sealed copy.
Unfortunately, since it's rare, I can't afford to open it. :)

I just bought a sealed copy for $35, didn't even consider not opening it.

dabl said:
I just bought a sealed copy for $35, didn't even consider not opening it.

It just now occurs to me that I think I paid $25.00 bucks for this thing when it was first released. Now... I'm not saying $35.00 bucks ain't marked up, because it clearly is (or are you talking other than US currency?). However... I guess I'm just appreciating the fact prices have dropped to such reasonable levels from just a few years ago. Though I'd probably go back to paying a premium if it meant getting a somewhat steady stream of QUALITY 5.1 hi-rez releases. Speaking of which, I think Eric Johnson's "Venus Isle" has enough layers to be an excellent surround sound disc! I just don't want the same people who mixed "Ah Via Musicom" to be involved unless they've changed their surround philosophy for the better.

Eugenius said:
It just now occurs to me that I think I paid $25.00 bucks for this thing when it was first released. Now... I'm not saying $35.00 bucks ain't marked up, because it clearly is (or are you talking other than US currency?). .

Nope, US Currency. Yep, I agree it's marked up, and it's more than I'd have liked to have paid, however like another poster above I didn't find about the recalled/out of print DVD-A till it was too late to still find one on the shelves somewhere, and believe me I tried. It's a treasure for fans though and I'm glad to have it even at that price.

Eugenius said:
However... I guess I'm just appreciating the fact prices have dropped to such reasonable levels from just a few years ago. Though I'd probably go back to paying a premium if it meant getting a somewhat steady stream of QUALITY 5.1 hi-rez releases..

No doubt. It's nice to be able to get most surround discs for $14 + local tax with free shipping from circuit city online in the US. On the otherhand I too would gladly pay more in exchange for more titles being released.

Eugenius said:
Speaking of which, I think Eric Johnson's "Venus Isle" has enough layers to be an excellent surround sound disc! I just don't want the same people who mixed "Ah Via Musicom" to be involved unless they've changed their surround philosophy for the better.

I'm with Cai, I think the surround mix for Musicom sounds great, I have no complaints. It'd be great to get more Eric in surround but I tend to doubt that will happen unfortunately. I also doubt Musicom will ever be revisited for a surround mix that Eric approves of, that's why I bought the marked up copy I did. I imagine he doesn't sell enough records in general for the record company to justify revisiting the surround mix for Musicom.

I guess my only problem with this disc is the break between the first two songs instead of flowing together like they should. Not a great album, but a good one.

KW

Hi, I don't have this DVD-A. But i bid on one this week on Ebay. It went for over 50.00 plus shipping. Oh well, maybe i can find a used copy for a little less later on Ebay.

Finally found a copy. Glad i didn't pay too much. It is nice but not great. Glad to have a copy though. But like others have said about this one i can't see coming back to it too often. I gave it a 7. :)

I guess Eric got really pissed off when this was released since they used the wrong tapes on some of the tracks and left out parts of others. Personally, I never would have known if he didn't make a stink about it. Still, I don't blame him for being pissed!

Be that as it may, I think this is great hard-rock, guitar-oriented album. The surround mix is quite nice! Unfortunately, it's not a title that I would term memorable and is not one I will revisit with any amount of frequency.

All-in-all, very enjoyable. A very strong 7 here.

Cai, not sure if you had the cd. I lived with that CD for months. Know it inside out. Boy, they fucked up the 5.1 mix! A lot of elements missing from it that made the cd really special. Little guitar flourishes here and there and some of the songs on here sound like demos compared to the cd.

Didn't pay for it, traded a few never played discs, but very disappointed!

I'm sitting on a sealed copy too; it's in the "maybe I should sell this" stack because it has been pretty much knocked by the wrong tracks used issue.

Eric had said on his website 3 years ago it would be re-done, but nothing ever happened. I have all of his material and would welcome 5.1 versions.

It's too late for me to have a sealed copy, I've been enjoying this flawed surround disc for a long time now. I have also been keeping an eye out for the "correct" version to appear as promised but I think they might figure there simply isn't enough money in it for them to put in all that work. Then again EJ is knows as a stickler for details and for taking his time to get it right so who really knows? When I see him again I'll ask...yeah, Austin is a great music town and he's both friendly and accessable.

I'm sitting on a sealed copy too; it's in the "maybe I should sell this" stack because it has been pretty much knocked by the wrong tracks used issue.

Eric had said on his website 3 years ago it would be re-done, but nothing ever happened. I have all of his material and would welcome 5.1 versions.

I wouldn't bother at the moment. A copy went unsold recently when the top bid of about $50 failed to reach the reserve. Maybe in the future it will become more valuable. I bought a used copy and listened to it once. I'll have to give it some more time and vote... one day.

Back