HiRez Poll Drake, Nick - A TREASURY [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Nick Drake - A TREASURY

• Total voters
I just voted a solid 8 for this album. Although it's really double stereo [IMO], glad to have it on SACD. BTW, a few years ago a boxset of all Drake's studio releases in stereo SACD was announced but was then withdrawn.. Ironically, another Nick Drake Title Five Leaves Left was announced as a 5.1 release on Universal BD~A but was never officially released http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/94279/Nick_Drake-Five_Leaves_Left-Blu-ray_Audio [notice the NO SHOW availability]

For Nick Drake fans, I recommend this Stereo SACD compilation of Drake's songs interpreted by various artists on the Canadian Songlines' label: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002NVITW/?tag=hraudio-20

Wow!!
That really strikes DEEP!!!!
Another..."coulda been"... sigh!

This REALLY would have been the cat's meow in spite of it probably being recorded on a 4 track (and , as opposed to The Beatles, I'm almost positive that the multis previous to the bouncedowns have not survived...

oh , well...

I really wanted this to be in surround, and I isolated the rears looking to defend my desire, but in isolation it is clear that the rears have little or no discrete information.

That said, I LOVE this disc and play it often. Not for surround, but for the music. The fidelity of the transfer is excellent, and it sounds wonderful on my system. I am a fan, so it is a frequent flyer in my home.

I am torn about how to vote, but in the end I have to give it low marks for the surround. After all, we are a surround sound forum. So as a stereo disc this is an easy 10, and I would not hesitate to recommend it. But as a surround title I will give it a 4, but only because with the music and sound clarity buoy it up.

Nick Drake is one of my favorite artists. Bryter Latyer is my favorite Nick Drake album, so for me, hearing tracks from that album in 5.1 are reason enough to own this.

I only wish a dedicated 5.1 release for Bryter Layter would be released! One can dream.

I give the release an 8.

Back