HiRez Poll Drake, Nick - A TREASURY [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Nick Drake - A TREASURY

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Absolutely stellar song-writing and performance. This is a wonderful compilation for Nick Drake fans old and new alike. As a surround title it a total waste of time and effort. This one ranks at the top of the "what were they thinking?" heap. Fake surround, pure and simple, and not very good fake surround at that. This one should have been left as a stereo-only title.

A 9-point stereo title, but only a 4-point surround title (and those are 4 generous points).

(n)

Cai Campbell said:
... As a surround title it a total waste of time and effort. This one ranks at the top of the "what were they thinking?" ...
(n)

Wholeheartedly agree. This is a disservice to the memory of Nick Drake.

OK, great sonics ,

BUT,

IMHO, they could only get the multitracks for the "Bryter Layter" songs (unfortunately, the most dated sounding one) , since those are the ONLY songs mixed in surround (either that or the mushrooms I was having for dinner were the magical ones :mad:@: )

Still great to hear good ole' Nick (RIP) in SACD glory...

Wonder what he meant by 5 leaves left :smokin ??? hehehe

Wholeheartedly agree. This is a disservice to the memory of Nick Drake.

Wellllll....( as Samantha used to say)

If only they would STATE ANYWHERE that most of the songs are rechanneled stereo, then I wouldn't mind ...

If it's the only thing that could be done then...I don't think it's disservice..at least you get some songs in real surround...

Yes, apparently only the BRYTER songs had multis to remix; therefore, the rest of the tracks were 'fashioned' after those, kinda...but not well enough, though the sound quality itself is very good. So as a sampler for a fan or the uninitiated, great as far as it goes; as a MC title, however, about 3/4 false advertising. A '4' from me.

ED :)

As faux 5.1's go, though(and this is a backhanded compliment), it's not bad, and as noted, it does seem to me the BRYTER cuts were used as a template to manipulate the others for which no multis could be located. Which doesn't excuse faux 5.1, but explains what was done, anyway; or at least the logic behind it.

A few have judged this one a 'travesty,' probably because they're fans of Nick and were hoping for such more. So was I, but travesty is, in this instance, a strong word to use. Now, the Silverline Searchers title--that was a travesty, since, rather than finding(at the very least)good stereo tape sources(which were readily available)and manipulating them into a kind of 3-track front mix with rear ambience, mono tapes were used and made a muddle and mess of everything; totally pointless, and stupid.

The Drake disc doesn't reach that level of absurdity, but one does have to question why, once it was obvious only a limited number of tracks could be remixed, why not just cancel it and try to find something else that would've made more sense? Well, just as obviously, someone wanted this one out, hell or high water. But you can't fool everyone, and as soon as this one was issued, the red flags were flying....

a 7.
As mentioned, it seems that the only Multis used were the BL ones...and it would have been AWESOME to have the Multis for 5LL, although they probably were 4 or 8 track...
Not a big fan of upmixes that are not specified in the disc....

I gave it a "4" back in '09 when I joined here and I don't think I've played it since!

I was so disappointed by the surround mixes, I almost ejected it mid/way and threw it out in disgust.. but I persevered and there were one or two nice-sounding and nicely mixed things on it but not enough and certainly not worthy of this incredibly talented artist.

As has been said here already, "Why this!?" it just doesn't make sense Universal could go to all the time, trouble and expense to release this in fake 5.1 and just leave the remaining Elton SACD classics that were in the can, in TRUE 5.1, gathering dust..?!?

While packing up for yet another move (sigh), this one caught my eye and, given the warm, quiet evening ahead, gave it another spin.

Well...two things. First: Given what there was to work with (as I stated above years ago, apparently only BRYTER had any kind of multis to work with, since these tracks are the only ones with significant 'rear action'), releasing only BRYTER in MC--rather than an anthology--would have been the most sensible move, IMO.

Two: Even so, what is on this disc that is *almost* decent surround was probably scuttled by those who did the remixing, though I don't know that for sure, of course. It's possible that, listening to the tapes, there was hesitance to isolate, say, the orchestral parts of BRYTER to the rears, or putting Nick's voice in the center channel, or...whatever. Which is why I was disappointed in the mix of even these tracks.

The sound quality of the disc is, admittedly, superb (I have copies of Nick's albums on US and UK vinyl--the latter the keepers, as you'd expect, the US vinyl highly variable but generally bland by comparison). But that did not excuse the sonic contrivances of the comp overall. I stand by my '4', although if you want nice sound and don't mind a lack of real surround for so many tracks, it might work for you.

As for the legacy of Nick Drake...hearing him now is like hearing Love's Arthur Lee as an introvert (with backing music to match), or Love's minor genius, Bryan MacLean, subdued and excessively reflective. In other words, lacking the spark that informed that L.A. band so well even while it could be so gentle. Nick was a minor genius, and a troubled one, as so many who burn out early tend to be.

Nick Drake's finest music was for rooms with a little candlelight, but not for romance, just contemplation and reflection. Or, you could think, someone who would have been better off with a reclusive, even rustic, life. But then, he picked up a guitar, someone heard him, signed him, and....

If you've never heard this disc and can find it, it's worth the cost despite the unfortunate limitations of the mix.

I think that's a very fair comment. In light that less than 50% of the album is not upmixed I am surprised to see some nines on the score board! Maybe that's more to do with the musical content rather than the mix.

I don’t agree with the criticism of this realease. I really like it! Ok content wise it’s not naturally a surround standout. But content wise it’s a 10 and I prefer listening to this then any other stereo version. There’s a lot of separation on Poor Boy...

Edit - I still really like this release and do spin it a lot. But I think I'd had a few vino's when I first voted - so now it's a solid 8...

Last edited:
I think that's a very fair comment. In light that less than 50% of the album is not upmixed I am surprised to see some nines on the score board! Maybe that's more to do with the musical content rather than the mix.

That, and the sonics are fine enough. It really comes down to how bothered one is by so many faux surround tracks. Given the musical approach this is not a disc to hate, but it certainly wouldn't qualify in any way as a quad demo.

To say 'For Drake fans only,' is probably about right.

I just voted a solid 8 for this album. Although it's really double stereo [IMO], glad to have it on SACD. BTW, a few years ago a boxset of all Drake's studio releases in stereo SACD was announced but was then withdrawn.. Ironically, another Nick Drake Title Five Leaves Left was announced as a 5.1 release on Universal BD~A but was never officially released http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/94279/Nick_Drake-Five_Leaves_Left-Blu-ray_Audio [notice the NO SHOW availability]

For Nick Drake fans, I recommend this Stereo SACD compilation of Drake's songs interpreted by various artists on the Canadian Songlines' label: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002NVITW/?tag=hraudio-20

Back