HiRez Poll Dylan, Bob - BRINGING IT ALL BACK HOME [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bob Dylan - BRINGING IT ALL BACK HOME

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

R-2636144-1334383556.jpeg.jpg

R-2636144-1334383566.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A '7' but with qualifications...first of all, "Gates Of Eden" is might-as-well be mono: it was flat mono on the stereo Lp, and the only non-stereo track on it. It's not stereo or multi here, either....the rest, however, are in decent surround, the only drawback being the sound can be a bit thin at times, typical of this Lp and HIGHWAY 61. One could even say harsh, though a little Eq work helps if that bothers you.

Glad they did it this way, but a shame HIGHWAY 61 didn't get the same treatment, that's an even wilder ride...and fully stereo.

ED:)

One of Dylan's best. The songs are "10" overall. The surround mix is ambient, designed to deliver a live-in-the-studio feel, and I'd say an "8" for accomplishing what it set out to do. A solid "9" for me.

A '7' but with qualifications...first of all, "Gates Of Eden" is might-as-well be mono: it was flat mono on the stereo Lp, and the only non-stereo track on it. It's not stereo or multi here, either....the rest, however, are in decent surround, the only drawback being the sound can be a bit thin at times, typical of this Lp and HIGHWAY 61. One could even say harsh, though a little Eq work helps if that bothers you.

Glad they did it this way, but a shame HIGHWAY 61 didn't get the same treatment, that's an even wilder ride...and fully stereo.

ED:)
An even bigger shame is Desire, since they already had a quad mix.

I just received this the other day - reasonably priced. The music is legendary and I am thrilled to have another Bob Dylan album at high fidelity. Overall, the surround is pretty tame and, as others have mentioned, ambient. Some songs have a more pronounced use of surrounds for instrumentation but others not so much. I know these songs but never had this album so that is making it enjoyable.

I vote an 8. Highly recommend it if you don't have it.

I noticed a number of errors in this mix as well as the other two Michael H Brauer mixes of Dylan (Another Side of Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde), if any of you want to give it a look and/or give your thoughts! I noticed that often extra audio was put in the back right channels of Another Side of Bob Dylan and Bringing It All Back Home and that all three seemed to suffer from particular elements not sharing the same polarity across their channels.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ging-it-all-back-home-blonde-on-blonde.34324/

Mix: 3/5: Seems like it would be a mess in stereo. There's a fuzzy mess up front. Almost always an electric gtr in rear left. Something in rear right about ⅓ time. So it is surround, but probably recorded without much thought to the stereo let alone multi track.

Sound: 3/5: The SACD is prob reproducing fine, but the original is a fuzzy mess most of the time and I think it's a little thin sounding. On the acoustic tracks his voice sounds pretty clear but even then the acoustic gtr can sound distorted. Acoustic ones are more a 4/5. It's also quite sibilant.

Music: 3/5: Some classics but it can be hard work listening to the whole thing.

Weighted score: 3*3+3*2+3*1 = 9+6+3 = 18/30 = 6/10

I noticed a number of errors in this mix as well as the other two Michael H Brauer mixes of Dylan (Another Side of Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde), if any of you want to give it a look and/or give your thoughts! I noticed that often extra audio was put in the back right channels of Another Side of Bob Dylan and Bringing It All Back Home and that all three seemed to suffer from particular elements not sharing the same polarity across their channels.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ging-it-all-back-home-blonde-on-blonde.34324/
I saw your comment after making the notes I posted above. I purposefully said "Something in rear right..." because it's not always easy to tell what is there - piano, another guitar, a mixture of the other speakers. I had put this down toit just being an old recording and one where feel was more valued than hi-fi - but it certainly makes sense to hear that there is something screwed up in that channel.

Back