Let's Get It On 5.1 Remix Completed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Universal Music's Motown Records has announced that they have completed the 5.1 remix of Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" album for release on Multichannel SACD later this year.

Check the story on High Fidelity Review at
www.highfidelityreview.co...r=19587626 for more details.

Universal is really impressing me with the class and care they put into their hi-rez releases...having Cal Harris present is a VERY classy touch......too bad Pink Floyd didn't follow that rule of having the original engineer present!

Yes, Universal Music is taking the time to do their Multichannel SACDs right. And the resulting products are turning out very well indeed.

What's cool is that, through that Motown message board, they were able to more or less keep everyone up-to-date on the progress of the project from start to finish. I've never seen a record label give that sort of "inside" access to us fans like that before. Labels seem to enjoy the element of surprise, and making big splashy announcements about releases, while keeping all the details a secret while the project itself is underway. In a way, I can understand that, since a lot of times, these projects collapse or change radically from how they were originally intended. (As a close follower of the Beatles and Beach Boys, I've witnessed this sort of stuff happen all the time with them.) But on the other hand, I find myself having a lot more respect for a company like Motown that lets us in on the process a bit. Plus, as recent reissues by groups like The Who have shown, if you clue the public in on things, you might even have a chance to find people who have otherwise-lost multitracks and other artifacts in their posessions.

By the way, not to open that can of worms again, but in regards to "DSotM" - they might not have consulted the original engineer for the multichannel mix, but I think they did something even more important: consulted the BAND, used an engineer that the group itself approved of and had a more comfortable relationship with, and ultimately got the band's approval for the final release. These days, that's even more rare.

ok, let's not sway TOO far off the thread, but getting the band involved is not always a good thing....each member will stick his nose in (turn Roger's voice down, Dave's guitar is too loud, don't put the organ in the rears.....etc...) the engineer concentrates on the SOUND and creating an entertaining soundfield....what 5.1 is all about...few musicians have a grip on surround (though the Led Zep DVD hints at Page's love of it)

anyway, I am praying for What's Going On to be next!

I like the idea of getting the band's approval, but sometimes a good mix needs a totally objective ear. As Dave alludes to, the band is often too close to the material. This can be a good thing, or a bad thing... or both! It all depends on the approach. I'm middle-of-the-road on this issue. As for the original engineer, if the original mix was a stand-out, then yeah, please bring him or her back, at least for consultation.

Good point about IF the original engineers mix was good....I certainly would not want Don Landee (engineered the Ted Templeman produced VH stuff, and did a horrible job co-producing 0U812)....doing any Van Halen surround mixes.....his "hard left, hard right" approach wasn't too good if you had a blown speaker....
even Elliot Scheiner mentioned he'd have to have Geoff Emerick present for any Beatles stuff.....but now we're dreaming!

Yes, the updates from Harry W. on the Motown forum have been interesting.

Now that Let's Get It On has been remixed for 5.1, we'll keep an eye out for more news on a release date for the Multichannel SACD.

Well, for what it's worth, keep in mind that Parsons wasn't the original producer (the band was), and wasn't even the original mixer of the album (fellow Abbey Road and Beatle alumni Chris Thomas did that). And yes I know Guthrie wasn't involved with the album at ALL. And not to diminish Parsons' role as the original engineer. But in this case, having now heard both mixes, I still maintain that the new mix is much closer in its overall feel to the original stereo mix, which is the mix the band approved back in 1973 for release. Parsons' quad mix has a VERY different feel, to my ears. And at least in this case, I'd still defer to the original artists (who also happen to have been the producers).

Yeah we could argue this forever....(although Thomas mixed DSOTM with Roger in one ear and Dave in the other!)......who knows who REALLY played the most important role....other than the people who created the music.....one example of how engineers are downplayed is in the George Martin book...With a Little Help From My Friends....Martin recalls how on a British TV show Ringo was asked if he had any thoughts about engineer Geoff Emerick....Ringo's reply?...."Yeah, he sweated a lot!"
Case closed!

I believe he pretty much oversaw it....but Thomas, Gilmour and Waters tweaked and tweezed it.....Thomas was more of a "negotiator"! Dave and Roger were already at each other....they had a big "I want it wet/ I want it dry" argument.....Waters was a huge fan of the Plastic Ono Band album, which was dry as a bone....Gilmour wanted it wet and mysterious

Ok, good idea.
I wonder how much the rears will be utilized....What's Going On would be better because it has a lot of percussion....triangles, congas, glockenspiels, that would sound nice in the rears....Let's Get It On is a lot rawer...I'm guessing there will be a lot of ambience and not much else....some of the posts on the Motown site seemed to indicate no one wanted anything gimmicky.

I don't know. The comments on the Motown Forum by Harry W. suggest that it won't be a real aggressive mix. We'll see.

Back