HiRez Poll Stone Temple Pilots - Core [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Stone Temple Pilots - CORE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

I don't know what to make of this album.
There are days when it is just right, and other days when I play it & take it off again almost immediately.
Some good mixes on offer though, and IMHO worth buying.

picked this up for less than £5 on E-bay a whiel back and pretty pleased with it. The surround mix dosnt set the world alight but its pretty good (not silverlined). Enough interesting extras.

A keeper for when i want something heavy but not too heavy.

Whoa !

Great disc. Well mixed for Surround. Lots of killer tunes (and some not-so-headbangers). Perfect for my Metal starved ears.

Thanks to 'dbmay' for the trade.

BTW, if you ever trade with Dan, he does grade very conservatively. STP looks like it came off my own shelf.

I thought it was a pretty cool disc.
If they would have added an extra like "Interstate Love Song",
it would have been perfect! (Kinda like they did with ELP's Brain Salad...
go off the album to another for an extra.)

-Bob

Oh dear. Utterly, utterly dreadful.

After just one listen, skipping through only, I couldn't bear to sit through a whole song of this! I seriously doubt I'll be giving this a second chance but I'll have to, if I'm to rate it. I'll make sure I've had a stiff drink beforehand.

Cannot overstate, i don't like the music here.. but the mix is... diabolical..!!

What on earth is everyone here on about!?

This is woeful double stereo at best! Nothing discrete or unique is happening at all round the back!! The same lead vocal, the same instrumentation, even the self-same drumming is in the rears as in the fronts! (Before you ask, yes I was playing back the 5.1 adv.res. and my system is properly setup.).

Right now, I want to vote it a 2, at best.. but I will re-appraise it later, to give it a fair crack - especially as its not been torn apart here at all, as I imagined it would but is seemingly rather liked (!).

As it is now, this is the biggest pile of garbage in high-res surround I've ever laid ears on (and I've heard some rubbish over the years, so you can only imagine..) but I'm willing to give it another try and be proven wrong. We shall see..

Oh dear. Utterly, utterly dreadful.

After just one listen, skipping through only, I couldn't bear to sit through a whole song of this! I seriously doubt I'll be giving this a second chance but I'll have to, if I'm to rate it. I'll make sure I've had a stiff drink beforehand.

Cannot overstate, i don't like the music here.. but the mix is... diabolical..!!

What on earth is everyone here on about!?

This is woeful double stereo at best! Nothing discrete or unique is happening at all round the back!! The same lead vocal, the same instrumentation, even the self-same drumming is in the rears as in the fronts! (Before you ask, yes I was playing back the 5.1 adv.res. and my system is properly setup.).

Right now, I want to vote it a 2, at best.. but I will re-appraise it later, to give it a fair crack - especially as its not been torn apart here at all, as I imagined it would but is seemingly rather liked (!).

As it is now, this is the biggest pile of garbage in high-res surround I've ever laid ears on (and I've heard some rubbish over the years, so you can only imagine..) but I'm willing to give it another try and be proven wrong. We shall see..

I have to go back and re-listen. It's been a while. I don't remember it being this bad, but my standards have changed throughout the years. I think the band is now remembered as being every 90's cliche in the book, but there were some great heavy pop songs on this album.

Threw a 7 on this one. I've never loved the album in its entirety. There are some throwaway tracks on it for sure. And Plush was, and is still being, played to death on every AoR and Alternative station on the planet. That said, there are some very good tracks from a band that went on to put out some truly freaking GREAT albums. I hope they remix some of the later albums to 5.1 as well.

Sonically, it sounds pretty much like the album always sounded. Meaty, but a bit flat dynamically. However, the surround mix brings out some more body in it than I expected it would. Piece of Pie in 5.1 has become one of my favorite tracks on the album, when it wasn't before.

All in all, it's well worth the purchase if you can find it cheap.

Not an amazing release, but certainly the best version of this iconic album that I've ever heard. Among my favorite DVD-Rs, albeit for nostalgic reasons, at least in part.
Watching an auction with 3d left to go. If that doesn't work out and if anybody truly hates theirs and is willing to beat the inflated amazon/ebay costs then I'd gladly take this flaming POS off your hands!

I suppose this one should be a 7 because the surround mix isn't that imaginative. But, damn! This one really rocks at high volume. Great for getting the lead out, so to speak. I am tempted to vote an 8. Hope you can get one at a decent price.

Last edited:
With the upcoming Ultra-mega-super-pooper-fucken-deluxe version coming out with this mix, I guess it would be helpful to vote:

Ok, so many QQers are not going to like this, based on content. It wasn't recorded in the 50's, 60's, 70's or 80's. Had it been, many voters would have given it a "10," even with a shit mix. I wish I had a dollar for every poll like that.

This is a HARD ROCK album. Probably recorded on a shoe-string budget. In the 90's.

So here's what you get:

Drums, bass and main guitars up front. Main vocals in all channels, favoring the rears somewhat. Guitar overdubs and extra vocals heavily favoring the rears.

IMO, that's about all you could do with this release. The more adventurous tracks have more adventurous mixes. It's not rocket science, people.

It is GREAT for what it is. It's currently $30 or so on Amazon. Snatch it up or just pay for the box set. Help fund Rhino's mission and maybe they'll give us a Doobie box...

:smokin

With the upcoming Ultra-mega-super-pooper-fucken-deluxe version coming out with this mix, I guess it would be helpful to vote:

Ok, so many QQers are not going to like this, based on content. It wasn't recorded in the 50's, 60's, 70's or 80's. Had it been, many voters would have given it a "10," even with a shit mix. I wish I had a dollar for every poll like that.

This is a HARD ROCK album. Probably recorded on a shoe-string budget. In the 90's.

So here's what you get:

Drums, bass and main guitars up front. Main vocals in all channels, favoring the rears somewhat. Guitar overdubs and extra vocals heavily favoring the rears.

IMO, that's about all you could do with this release. The more adventurous tracks have more adventurous mixes. It's not rocket science, people.

It is GREAT for what it is. It's currently $30 or so on Amazon. Snatch it up or just pay for the box set. Help fund Rhino's mission and maybe they'll give us a Doobie box...

:smokin

Here's the AmazonUS link for STP CORE MLP DVD~A 5.1. All are USED + s/h: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1503285155&sr=1-4

Remember folks. The Rhino boxset will MOST probably ONLY contain a DVD~V with DTS 5.1 [LOSSY] so if you're purchasing it expressly for the 5.1 mix [identical to the DVD~A but LOSSY] be advised!

screen grab from the JVC sampler

life is so fragile

Tom, Scott, Vegas

so much death :(

Attachments

• plush1.jpg
    plush1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 128
I just whipped this out of my library and voted 8. Certainly very strong and powerful sounding, but a little blah sounding like great midrange but poor bass and treble. Needs to be played loud to survive a critical listen.

great album. Takes me back to 1993 as soon as the vocal starts on the first track. Like others said, not the most adventurous mix, but probably not a lot they could have done with it. But this is the best this album has sounded. And the more you crank it the better it sounds. Dean DeLeo is an amazing, underrated guitarist. And Scott Weiland was a genius.

I only wish the next two albums had been mixed to 5.1 as well. Maybe we’ll get one for a big anniversary edition of “Purple”?

And if you gave this album a low rating because you don’t like the music? Yeah. You’re too old. Lol

great album. Takes me back to 1993 as soon as the vocal starts on the first track. Like others said, not the most adventurous mix, but probably not a lot they could have done with it. But this is the best this album has sounded. And the more you crank it the better it sounds. Dean DeLeo is an amazing, underrated guitarist. And Scott Weiland was a genius.

I only wish the next two albums had been mixed to 5.1 as well. Maybe we’ll get one for a big anniversary edition of “Purple”?

And if you gave this album a low rating because you don’t like the music? Yeah. You’re too old. Lol

I cannot fathom not liking this music....and I'm...well.....much over 50 let's say. :)

I cannot fathom not liking this music....and I'm...well.....much over 50 let's say. :)

I remember well when Core came out. First thing people said that Scott Weiland was ripping off Eddie Vedder.
Really? Never ever thought that.

A solid classic by any measure.

BTW GOS, I'm 60.

FWIW, if you can find the compilation CD Encomium, buy it.
Worth it for one cut. STP do an acoustic version of Dancing Days.
Definitive

Great post. I have the old DVD-A in the normal jewel case and was never particularly thrilled with it. I'm of the opinion that a lot of these early 2000s Warner/Rhino DVD-As could've been done a lot better, but I agree that they probably couldn't have improved this any more without it sounding radically different. Decided to give it a spin today and it's really not that bad- I've heard plenty of fake quad/double stereo mixes and this isn't one of them.

The other few 90s hard rock/grunge albums that have made it to 5.1 (the 2 SoundGardens, Temple Of The Dog, Alice In Chains) are not exactly surround spectaculars from what I've read here- perhaps that has to do with the way they were recorded, budget reasons, etc as you note above.

I hope the powers-that-be keep going with the 90s stuff though- Pearl Jam Ten in 5.1 would be epic.

Not a demo disc- but a fun listen every once in a while.

For the people who like waveforms- the mastering is a lot better than many old Rhino DVD-As

None of the 90's grunge music have translated well sonically in surround sound to my great disappointment. Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Alice in Chains, and Foo Fighters in surround sound all sound like a wall of mush.

The only exception is Foo Fighters In Your Honor which by no coincidence is an acoustic album.

Back