HiRez Poll Crosby/Nash - ANOTHER STONEY EVENING [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Crosby/Nash - ANOTHER STONEY EVENING

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Crosby Nash Front.jpg

Crosby Nash Back.jpg

Last edited:
I suppose you can only ask so much of a mch mix of two guys and their guitars (plus the occasional piano) in a live setting. But while it's not surround demo material, it sure makes me feel like I’m sitting in the dorothy chandler pavilion enjoying the show. So for what it is, it’s excellent. The surround mix offers up a remarkably realistic presence and by comparison is miles ahead of the stereo tracks. The show is from october 1971- - so the set list is comprised of gems from their great solo debut albums, as well as CSN hits, plus a couple cuts from their first studio lp as a duo - - which had yet to be released. They’re in solid vocal form and have a wonderfully goofy time bantering with each other and the crowd. Favorite moment of this truly stoney evening: when they stop dead in the middle of Teach Your Children to ask the audience to please stop clapping along since no one in the crowd can seem to do so in proper rhythm; quite hilarious and a good example of the fun they had throughout the show.

Wow, I was thinking it was from later on. Good fidelity and sound field for what was recorded. Familar tunes and comedy at times; fans will enjoy. BTW I bought a new copy for $8.10 which sure beats $19.99 at Best Buy...

I gave it an 8.

I was very happy with what came out of my speakers. I did not expect that effect from two guitars. Their voices at times sound pristine and at other times sound stoney.;)

I have only just got this - and it merits a solid 10 from me.
The sonics alone make it worth this, even though the surround is not full on (how could it be?) I feel as if I am there, and that I have these guys playing for me in my front room.
For this, it gets an 8 right away.
For including tracks such as Guinevere, Teach Your Children, Deja Vu & Man In The Mirror, it gets the additional 2 points.
Add to this the 24-96 DTS and the as-yet undiscovered Easter Egg (any clues from those in the know?) and it cannot be anything but a full 10.

If only we had got the promised 5.1 of "Deja Vu" - I guess the excellent upmix I have will have to suffice - many thanks to whoever did that, by the way.

... the as-yet undiscovered Easter Egg (any clues from those in the know?) ...

If you page thru the Notes in the Extras section, you get to a page that has a pig symbol on it. If you arrow up to the pig, you can hear the original "Another Stoney Evening" bootleg album mentioned in the liner notes - - or at least part of it. I never had to inclination to listen to more than the first minute or so.

If you page thru the Notes in the Extras section, you get to a page that has a pig symbol on it. If you arrow up to the pig, you can hear the original "Another Stoney Evening" bootleg album mentioned in the liner notes - - or at least part of it. I never had to inclination to listen to more than the first minute or so.

Yeah, it was interesting to hear just how bad the boot was in comparison to the DVD-A. I think that's the only reason they put it there.

I'll check that out.
Incidentally, I have some really good sounding boots from CSNY at the Fillmore.
4-5-6 June 1970.

8. Minimal surround effect, which is typical for live recordings. Some wonderful material here! If you've ever enjoyed these guys, you need this!

1347529984_1318528453_crosby-nash-another-stoney-evening.jpg

I must confess I've been avoiding this disc for a while, as I don't really like live concert hall/reverb 5.1 mixes. I finally decided to pick up recently, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it.

The fidelity is absolutely gorgeous and the surround mix is really impressive for such minimal instrumentation. It's one of the few mixes of this type I've heard that really succeeds in creating the "you are there" atmosphere.

The setlist is mostly tracks from If I Could Only Remember My Name and Songs For Beginners (definitely check out their respective DVD-A releases if you haven't already!), though there is the occasional CSN(Y) track thrown in.

I reserve my 9s and 10s for more full-on surround experiences, so I'll go with an 8. Highly recommended.

"I know that yer moved, but ya gotta be moved in time" :LOL:

Last edited:
Back