DSOTM SACDs Cracking??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
There is a bunch of talk all over the internet about these SACDs cracking and "exploding" inside of players!!! :eek:

Appearantly, this is not just a runor. I looked at my disc and it is CRACKED!!! I have only played it twice!! YIKES!

www.audioasylum.com/forum...34409.html

I wonder what the deal is? Anyone else have this happen?

:-jon

I just got back from the Steve Hoffman forums and they had three pages on this thread topic. The consensus seems to be that the cracks are appearing on discs NOT made in Japan. Mine is not MIJ and I see four cracks. There were some posts that mentioned cracks in the Stones hybrids, "Let It Bleed " IIRC, so now I'm going to have to go through my whole collection. This will get interesting.

All the Canadian ones are Japanese. Seems they came out a few weeks late but they are okay. Who cares anyway? I will only be using this disc to A/B with the Parsons disc to show that the Parsons one is superior. I suppose that we should call this little tragedy, "The Alan Parsons Project" :rollin:

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"The Alan Parsons Project" [/quote]:rollin:
GOOD ONE!:eek: I fell off the Chair laughing ;)
I'll have to check out my disc but only played it twice ! Once to listen and once to do a conversion for the car! Actualy I put both the SACD/MC and my 5.1 A.P. Bq8 version on a 90Min cdr. 86 Minutes.
0] :rollin: 0] Rob

The DSOTM SACD was made at three different Hybrid SACD plants - Sony Japan, Sonopress in Germany and Crest National in Hollywood.

From what I've read, the DSOTM SACDs with cracks are only from the Crest National plant.

I've asked around on this one and it is being looked into as we speak.

I just checked mine 6 cracks in the center... Not good !:eek:
I want my money back ! :(
I guess there will be a lot of discs exploding in SACD players and they better get this QUICK before they get a Law suit
It seems the discs are cracking on the hub!:rolleyes:
0] Rob

Mine has four cracks on the hub after only four playthroughs. NOT good.

SACD did not need this sort of debacle.

Not to start a "hey, mine has -no- cracks" line, but, well, mine has no cracks.

It's a Canadian disc, though I don't see, anywhere on the actual disc itself, where the location of manufacture is. I would assume you can't really go on what's on the printed cover.

I hadn't noticed either the cool multi-layer inner rings, being able to see both the "CD" and "HD" layers. I don't look at my discs closely enough, clearly...

Agreed, however - SACD, let alone Hi-res in general, certainly doesn't need this....

I got the "blue sticker" version, and sure enough, it is cracked. I'll be buying the "black label" version to play and use the old one for target practice. Gee, here's a way to increase sales... I'd return my defective disc but its more trouble than its worth. :mad:

I bought one of the "black label" copies and it is also a Crest National pressed DSOTM SACD. But it is just fine condition wise - no cracks, etc.

Crest National is looking into the issue as we speak. We should hear something from them soon.

In the meantime, Elusive Disc has already announced that they will give RMAs to their customers to return any SACDs with cracks they may own that were purchased from Elusive Disc.

See the story on High Fidelity Review at www.highfidelityreview.co...r=18441196 for more details.

I don't see any manufacturer name on my disc. I looked at it using a high powered magnifying lamp. Where is this info printed? All I saw were numbers. Didn't see any cracks either, but I have not played it yet. Bought it at Best Buy in USA.

users.sisna.com/outofarea...umbers.jpg

Based on that screen shot, I'd say you have a Crest pressed DSOTM SACD.

Here, I have one Crest that has cracks and another that does not.

I also see that our local Best Buy is now restocking its DSOTM SACDs with new copies made by Sony Japan. You can tell by the text on the back of the disc jacket that says "Except Disc Manufactured in Japan for Capitol Records, Inc." It also omits the "-US" suffix on the spine of the disc jacket.

I've been playing the uncracked Crest DSOTM SACD here and inserting/reinserting it into its SACD case. So far, no problems.

My copy has two big cracks, one half way and a bunch of little ones, but I doubt Best Buy would exchange it without a receipt. I wonder if they would exchange it even with a receipt?

There have been reports on the web of Best Buy stores accepting exchanges of the DSOTM cracked SACDs.

Now that some of their stores have the Sony Japan versions of DSOTM in stock, I'd say it would be a good time to ask for an exchange if the disc was bought at BB and you want an exchange.

After reading this thread I just checked my copy. Must be the US Crest National pressing based on the "US" suffix on the catalogue number. There are four radial cracks which are obvious when you look for them. They don't extend beyond the inner ring.

Having read the comment about discs "exploding" in the player, I'm a bit reluctant to play this disc anymore. I't only had a few playings :( I've seen first hand the damage a laserdisc can do to the playing mechanism when they explode. It isn't a pretty sight and required the whole transport mechanism to be replaced. Now I appreciate a SCAD has nowhere near the mass of a 30cm LD but just the same, I don't envisage replacing a SACD transport in the more expensive players as a cheap repair.

Which then brings up the issue of liablity.

If the disc is defective and the manufacturer knows about it - should they issue a public recall notice rather than waiting for the issue to become public in forums such as this?

Who's going to pick up the cost of replacement? I'm an overseas (outside US) customer but purchased my copy through a US on-line supplier. The cost of sending the disc back and getting the replacement back may well cost more than the disc!

If my player was damaged as a result of an "exploding" SACD, who pays for the repair? If under warranty I doubt the manufacturer of the SCAD player would be liable as it technically is only responsible to repair problems which are a result of failure or defectiveness in the player - not the media you insert into it!

On reading the responses made by Crest National on possible failures and their accellerated ageing tests, I'm just not completely convinced these discs are safe to play. I've just checked a random sample of 30 yr old CDs from my library of well over 1,000 titles. None show any of the cracking signs that my SACD copy of DSOTM has. Many of these have been taken out, played and replaced in their cases possibly hundreds of times. Not a hint of cracking on a single one of them despite being played in all sorts of players from top line decks to portables and car players.

Crest National should issue a recall notice. All on-line retailers will have a record of who they sold Crest National copies of DSOTM SACDs to. I'm suprised the reputable supplier I got my copy through hasn't notified me.

I can understand why Crest National hasn't made much of an effort to recall the defective discs. Just imagine that landfill???? I have no idea how many copies they may have pressed but I guess it's a lot.

No public recall notice kind of smacks of risk management. A little like the pick up truck that can catch fire and explode incinerating the occupants. The motor company concerned didn't recall because, in their opinion it was more economical to defend the litigation than do the right thing.

I guess with a simple $20 SACD Joe Public doesn't stand a chance because the "exploding" SACD isn't likely to cause personal injury - just wreck your very expensive SACD player.

The upshot of this is I'll be enquiring with my US SACD supplier as to the pressing source before making any future purchases. If the disc is from Crest National I'll exercise my right to decline the purchase.

Cheers,
Alan

I got my disc from Amazon. Has anyone tried to return/exchange a disc with cracks to Amazon?

I saw 2 or 3 small cracks in my disc radiating outward from the inner ring when I checked it over the other night:( . With all of this talk of the damage that an exploding disc can cause, I am concerned and would like to exchange this disc ASAP!

Jonathan

Must be one of those urban legends or whatever. I'm pretty sure this was just made up by someone to exaggerate.

Back