SRV & Byrds to be Hybrid M/C releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

ThomC

I have found out that the following two titles will now be released as Hybrid Multichannel/Stereo SACDs. I hope my info is correct.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Couldn't Stand The Weather
The Byrds - 5D (Fifth Dimension)

This is good news as far as I'm concerned and can only help the format. Hopefully all future releases from Sony will also be hybrids.

SRV in M/C will be nice.
Another Sony question is Aerosmith - Oh Yeah available as a Multi channel 2 disc set.
And if so has anybody heard it ?

In my local Best Buy there is a copy of Aerosmith with a Multichannel sticker and slip cover indicating it is stereo and multichannel. The paper packaging underneath is the exact same as the one marked as stereo, with STEREO promininant in the artwork. I don't want to drop $30 to find its a packaging mistake, which is almost certainly is.

Dan in Spokane

Yes, this has been mentioned in the past here. The Aerosmith "Oh Yeah! Greatest Hits" 2 SACD set is a Single Layer, Stereo only SACD. Newer copies of the SACD now at Best Buy have the correct "Stereo" sleeve.

As one of the biggest SRV fans in the universe (2nd greatest guitarist ever...Jimi's #1)....I can't really get excited about a MC release of any of his stuff....it's fairly basic drums/bass/gtr music.....unless the rears are used for ambience, I don't see the point. But hey, the Dave Brubeck disc is like that, and it sounds amazing....so what the hell....maybe In Step would be cool because of the addition of keyboards and horns....they could sit in the rears.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>....it's fairly basic drums/bass/gtr music.....unless the rears are used for ambience, I don't see the point. But hey, the Dave Brubeck disc is like that, and it sounds amazing....so what the hell....maybe In Step would be cool because of the addition of keyboards and horns....they could sit in the rears. [/quote]

"CSTW" is exactly how you describe it. But you will be surprised at how much more enveloping it is in 5.1. It's less compressed also, so it has more punch to it.

I also agree that "In Step" would be cooler from a 'spread the band all around you" aspect.

SRV and Jimi are merely guitar techs for Zappa in heaven...

at least, that's what I heard... :)

Probably does. But from my perspective, I'll gladly take a delay in availability in an SACD title to see it converted from Single Layer to Hybrid Layer SACD!

Now, if we can get Universal Music to stop issuing Single Layer SACDs.... :)

>>Could this explain the delays in these titles?<<

I've been waiting on that Byrds disc pretty much since I first bought my SACD player about six months ago. I, too, am glad to see it'll be hybrid (although in THIS particular case, I already own in on standard CD, with a ton of bonus tracks), and glad to see Sony has apparently decided to release hybrid-only titles now (presumably since they've opened their own hybrid pressing plant now).

Not really my favorite Byrds album (in fact, probably my least favorite of their pre-country days), but it'll still be cool to hear "Eight Miles High" in surround!!

Actually the main delay had to do with getting the correct multitrack tapes, (even on recent titles, finding the right elements is a very time consuming process), and then getting the mixes approved by the appropriate people.
In the case of the Byrds disc, not only were the tapes that were used to make the mono and stereo masters needed, (these were 3 & 4 track reduction masters), but where possible, songs were 'reverse engineered' so that the previous generations of 4 & 8 track tapes could be used. This meant getting finding all these tapes, syncing them up, and editing them to match before even starting the mixes. This took an incredible amount of time. Even then, the drums were always on one mono track and the bass and rhythm guitars were always on a single mono track. Because the original 8 track multis were recorded this way there was still only a limited amount of separation available.
That said, these delays had the fortuitous result of allowing the disks to be made by the hybrid plant. Sometimes good things happen for the strangest reasons. :)
Also, DROKOPY, all the bonus tracks are included, though for the 2 bonus tracks from RCA studios no multis were found, so no 5.1 of those. Hope you like it anyway.

Sounds good. Is there a release date on the Byrds and SRV Hybrid Multi SACDs?

Also, any word on a Multichannel version of Texas Flood? That would be good as well.

Brian,
<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Sounds good. Is there a release date on the Byrds and SRV Hybrid Multi SACDs?
Also, any word on a Multichannel version of Texas Flood? That would be good as well.
[/quote]
Rumour is 7/15/03 in store date for these two titles.
I've never seen "Texas Flood" mentioned anywhere.
Maybe it was a 2 channel release?

That's great news that they went back and resynched the original pre-bouncing multitracks. That should produce really amazing sound quality, and allow for some more interesting surround choices.

That sort of technique was pioneered when the stereo mix of "Pet Sounds" was created awhile back (and will presumably be employed when its surround mix is eventually released as well), and later used for the Beatles "Anthology" and "Yellow Submarine" remixes (and, it sounds like, on the new 5.1 "Anthology" DVD mixes). James Guthrie also implies that the same sort of work was done for the new "DTotM" SACD. I just hope, as more 60's-era albums are referbished for surround release, that other producers take the time and effort to do the same sort of research and restoration work, instead of just grabbing the most convenient tapes off the shelves. I'd rather have something take awhile and be worth it, then have crap on the shelves that I'll eventually have to re-buy when someone decides to put more work into it the next time around.

Texas Flood is another Stevie Ray Vaughn album available on a Single Layer Stereo SACD from Sony Music.

One of the early SACDs, I'm sure it could benefit as well from a remix/remastering into Multichannel.

>>I've never seen "Texas Flood" mentioned anywhere.
Maybe it was a 2 channel release? <<

Elusive Disc has a release date of June 10, 2003 for both titles. I'll believe it when I see it.

ThomC, your explanation makes sense. Can you explain why a release date would be announced when they don't even have the correct tapes? Could it be "creative marketing?"

Earlier release date announcements were probably a bit of wishfull thinking more than any great marketing conspiracy.
The current June dates are listed because the mixing and mastering is now all done.
All that needs to be done now is to make the disks and get them into the stores.
(Plant test pressings, artwork, packaging and marketing issues being ignored for the purposes of this reply.)

As I noted on High Fidelity Review yesterday, these two may be out as soon as Mid July.

So the June date is no longer the target.

A photo from discogs shows a date of 2015 :unsure: -seems unlikely; but the discogs member
"DirkLerxstandPratt" posted the pic. so if it's legit, I'd assume he's some kind of insider with the actual disc, or a bogus made-up printed deep fake 🧐

TB FD.jpg

Back