Motown Discusses Let's Get It On 5.1 Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
FYI, the Motown Discussion Board at boards.motown.com/viewthr...560&id=309 is now featuring a discussion of the work on the new 5.1 mix of "Let's Get It On" album by Marvin Gaye for the upcoming Multichannel SACD release.

Apparently they've hired the original engineer, Cal Harris, to assist in the 5.1 remix work.

Check it out !

Well all I can say is that I hope it's better than the rather shoddy mixes on the DTS "hits" disc. I had such high hopes for that disc when I first bought it - Marvin's work is among my favorites, and "What's Goin' On" has long stood as my favorite album of all time. But the surround mixes on the DTS disc leave a lot to be desired.

Dave, are you talking about the Marvin Gaye "Forever Yours" DTS CD? I really, really like this disc and think the mixes are excellent! In fact, this is probably my very favorite commercial DTS CD.

Yea, that's the one. Perhaps I need to listen to it again, but I recall being profoundly disappointed by some of the mixes, particularly the "What's Going On" tracks.

Well, I haven't dissected it, but I have listened to it on numerous occasions and have found the entire disc to be quite pleasing. I think you owe it another try! ;)

Well, I gave it another shot, and I will admit I was much happier on my second listen - particularly with the volume cranked substantially. Still not 100% satisfied with the "WGO" songs, but some of the other Seventies tracks ("Let's Get It On" and "Trouble Man" in particular) were pretty stellar. I'll admit, my initial listen wasn't under the most ideal conditions (it was sort of playing as background music while I was doing other stuff in my apartment), but I guess that's one of my general complaints for surround music in general - you more or less have to plant yourself in one place for the entire thing, or else you're bound to lose part of the mix if you move around a lot!

At any rate, I'm sure I'll be one of the first in line to pick up the "Let's Get It On" SACD (and anything else Motown decides it wants to give us, especially any more Marvin). As always I just hope they are able to maintain the same "groove" as the originals.

The 5.1 mix on the Marvin Gaye Forever Yours is aggressive surround and entertaining. But the sonics leave something to be desired.

Back