HiRez Poll Krauss, Alison - NEW FAVORITE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Alison Krauss - NEW FAVORITE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

attachment.php

Never thought I would buy a bluegrass disc, but this is an absolute gem! AK's voice is angelic, and the band's playing is top notch. only complaint is the arrangements are all a bit similar, but I guess that's bluegrass! The sound and mix is great. 9

daved64 said:
Never thought I would buy a bluegrass disc, but this is an absolute gem! AK's voice is angelic, and the band's playing is top notch. only complaint is the arrangements are all a bit similar, but I guess that's bluegrass! The sound and mix is great. 9

The title cut on the SACD is something else in Surround. Definitely one of my favorites.

Absolutely brilliant. It's one of those discs I use to demo my system to friends.

p.s. Hi Brian, I never thanked you for the LAGQ LATIN recommendation. I loved it & their other SACD release. I would never have bought them if I hadn't read your review.

discman said:
Absolutely brilliant. It's one of those discs I use to demo my system to friends.

p.s. Hi Brian, I never thanked you for the LAGQ LATIN recommendation. I loved it & their other SACD release. I would never have bought them if I hadn't read your review.

Glad to hear it. The folks at Telarc called me in advance of LAGQ: Latin coming out and told me to put it on my SACD player immediately when it arrived! They were that proud of the Surround Sound mix.

When I heard it, I knew they had produced something really special. It remains a reference quality Surround Sound album to this day. An excellent example of what a really good Surround Sound mix can do to be sure.

Damn fine music. When I first put this on, the wife came in with a big smile on her face - one that matched mine.

The tunes are modern but in the bluegrass style, done with respect. A good example of working in a mature genre while keeping it alive and artistically pertinent.

First heard this group teamed with YoYo Ma on a CD of Stephen Foster tunes called "Beautiful Dreamer" - an album I can't give too high a recommendation for, even if it is only two channel CD.

This is one of those titles where there is no way in HELL that I would have bought it if it were not a surround release (you know, form over function, and all that rot).

Well hell, form over function considerations have always allowed me to experience some damn fine music (and some pretty horrendous music, but we'll ignore that aspect of the disease, okay?)

In any event, this disc absolutely kicks, and I am so glad that my freakish nature allowed me to pick it up. What an awesome surround release! Cast your perceptions aside and buy this disc. You won't regret it!

Gave it a nine. The only thing better than this is their DVD-V where you actually get to watch the band. The sound quality on the DVD-V is top notch as well.

This is a very good recording, wonderful mix. Just good music!!! 9

thanks for the tip on this one, guys. really enjoyable; although for me the album slips a little on the tracks that where the guys handle the lead vocals in lieu of alison (wow, what a sweet voice). btw, for those interested in similar new-grass mch, nickel creek's "this side" sacd is also excellent (and was produced by...alison krause).

Last edited:
bugdaddy said:
thanks for the tip on this one, guys. really enjoyable; although for me the album slips a little on the tracks that where the guys handle the lead vocals in lieu of alison (wow, what a sweet voice). btw, for those interested in similar new-grass mch, nickel creek's "other side" sacd is also excellent (and was produced by...alison krause).
I enjoy the guys......they were "The Soggy Bottom Boys" from Oh Brother Where Art Thou.

Am I Blue?

Well, when it comes to this album, yes. And the same goes for the Bela Fleck and Nickel Creek multichannel efforts. Not because of the mixes or the musicianship, but because they leave me wanting more. To me bluegrass is about putting it all out there, come what may. These efforts, though polished productions, lose something in their effort to be perfect. There seems to be an element of restraint present in these works that is juxtaposed to the genre.

For those of you new to Bluegrass check out: Old & In the Way (w/Jerry Garcia), the Jerry Garcia / David Grisman collaborations (Grateful Dawg), The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band "Dream" or "Will the Circle Be Unbroken II", Leon Russell "Hank Wilson's Back Vol. I", John Hartford "Annual Waltz" or even "Blue Ridge Rangers" the solo effort by John Fogerty. Then go back and listen to Alison again and I think you'll hear what I mean.

And oh by the way, if you like the songwriting of Nickel Creek's "Out in the Woods" check it out by the person that wrote it, Sinead Lohan, her album "No Mermaid" is a gem. Also, if you like Alison's voice but are more into rock, ala Linda Ronstadt, try to find some old Karla Bonoff albums. My favorite is "Restless Nights".

Anyway for "New Favorite", which I've already had in stereo for the past year before getting the SACD, I give it a 10 for the multichannel mix and an 8 for it's representation of Bluegrass.

For those of you not so new to Bluegrass, don'tcha just miss Bill Monroe....;) Aquadad

Superb album. I loved it in stereo, and it is even better in surround. Fantastic singing, playing, arranging and songs. This is my favorite CD by her. Glad it is on SACD. A 10. :sun

There have been quite a few copies of this pass in and out of my door as traders, but I kept a sealed copy just for me.

I had an unfounded prejudice against Bluegrass (if that's how it's catagorized). My bad.

I opened it tonight when all were out... and cranked it. Wow!

Sonically perfect. An aggressive and spot on surround mix.

I really should open my mind (and a few more 'what' sealed discs).

It's wonderful. Now I wish I'd kept a copy of 'Live' just for me.

It's a 9 for now until I get more familiar with the music.

I think AK is brilliant. The double live SACD is one of my favorite treasures.
The sonics, while spectacular, just don't make up for the musical effort. It is great, I'm sure, if you like the style. It's just not for me....

10, 10. 10.... But I am biased. This is just so amazing, as others have said. She certainly does have the voice of an angel. I've been wanting this for awhile and was getting ready to pay around $80 for a used copy. Then a seller popped up on Amazon with some brand new sealed copies for a few bucks more. I normally would not pay so much for a SACD but in this case it was so worth it. I'm on my second listen and the goosebumps are still going.

Appropriately titled "New Favorite" is one of my new favorites! I've been watching the market for months, waiting for a great deal. Finally Amazon had a NM copy for $49. Snagged!

Reference quality in terms of music, recording quality, surround mix, and mastering. To my ears not a bad track on the album. Bluegrass is a few lines down my genre list. In surround, Alison Krauss and her band are near the top.

10. :bounce

Finally took the plunge on this one

First off the Title Track - New Favorite is a stunner...........only problem was it was the last of 13 tracks :mad:@: whyyyyyyyyyy?

Snood played that one track like 4 times in a row.

I was gonna vote 8 because the country bluegrassy thing is not me sort of thing. The mix makes up for the bluegrassy songs.............Although Alison Krauss' vocal songs are very good. Did me mention the title song NEW FAVORITE?????

There was one instrumental on the album which was really nicely mixed tooooooooooooo. :cool:

The band is top notch for sure (y)

Not so sure about bring this sacd out to show off a system to me rocking friends, me friends would be like wtf is this lol and not get it.............If Snood had countryish buddys then yeah, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT Snood would certainly make the Title track a reference song to show off to anybody!!

Back