Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here Surround Sound SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often find the knowledge that I'm listening to something that many others are deprived from enjoying due to the industry's business model of ensuring there is limited supply to drive up costs and demand really brings out the detail and beauty of the mix...

I totally get wappinghigh's anger over this. I get the backlash that has come as well, yes this is a number of years old, and the 3rd party labels only license it for a limited time....but the whole business model sucks! The industry constantly takes advantage of us. Including desirable mixes only in deluxe premium priced boxes, only having limited supplies for limited time periods, keeping desirable titles out of print....personally, I'm sick and tired of the excuses. As surround lovers, we deal with nothing but pure grade A bullshit day after day. Expecting us to just accept that these are the costs, and we have to buy things immediately at a premium price, and just be glad to have anything at all, really gets old. Especially when I can walk into any store, and be surrounded by numerous movie dvds that all contain 5.1 as a STANDARD! On EVERY DAMN DISC! Don't tell me it's not possible, there's a whole other industry that has proven it to be very possible.

We're the customers....shouldn't the industry have to play by our rules, and not the other way around? It should be simple....it's no secret we are here. A group of people that come to this place, day in and day out, talking about our desire to own high quality copies of out of print materials. Just fucking reach out to us, print up some copies, and sell them directly to us for a reasonable price! I'm sick and tired of this same song and dance. New format (no one bought the old format that we barely promoted and barely put any titles out on, so we can't use that technology that you all already bought players for), new player that everyone must go out and buy, promise of more titles, print up a few discs, no promotion, barely any sales, blame the customers, and then tell us we're wrong when we point out who's really to blame for this bullshit. Then watch the prices skyrocket in the used market as the limited titles that "no one wanted" become collectible.

Yes, perhaps calling it gouging is a little over the top, but I have no love for the industry, and anyone and everyone that's involved with it, that continue to screw us over every chance they get. It gets old.....
Thanks for the support on this man. Totally 100% agree! That's why I asked where is the 5.1 download?

Record companies do not limit supply to drive up costs and demand. It does not work that way. They press as many as they think they can sell. There is no gouging or collusion on their part. They are in business to make money and it would be stupid of them to limit supply when the demand is there.

Don't limit supply to drive up prices huh?? Ok Prove it Acoustic Sounds..!! So why don't Accoustic SOunds do another run? Demand is clearly there.. As per the second hand prices and ebay prices.. Nope. This is BS. 101... Gouging No two ways about it..

Don't limit supply to drive up prices huh?? Ok Prove it Acoustic Sounds..!! So why don't Accoustic SOunds do another run? Demand is clearly there.. As per the second hand prices and ebay prices.. Nope. This is BS. 101... Gouging No two ways about it..

As with MOST [or nearly ALL] of the Hi Res physical discs and boxsets, they are pressed in LIMITED EDITION runs and the rule of thumb has always been to 'scoff' them up when they're initially offered. Of course, a lot of newcomers on this forum who came late to the game and want to play catchy uppy have to pay ridiculous prices on Amazon or eBay .

I believe MoFi used to press their SACD discs in runs of 10K but a lot of their newer reissues [even vinyl] are now limited to 2K.

As hi res downloads are becoming more common, I would suspect all companies [even some of the majors] are further limiting their production runs on hi res discs. Only some of the classical labels [MOST notably BIS] does order a repress when their mch SACD titles run out.

And then there's the licensing agreement reissue companies make with the licensors. Perhaps they are only allowed one pressing of so many discs with no provision for a repress [bmoura would be more versed on this subject than myself].

One can ONLY 'speculate' how many FULL boxsets Universal [UMG] will initially press for a title as wildly popular as Sgt. Pepper. And I'm sure a LOT of these companies base their initial runs on the number of pre~orders a title receives.

Myself, I always try to shop the sales when purchasing ANY hi res physical disc. And if the price does drop drastically, at least you have the disc in your hand instead of having to pay outrageous Out of Print prices if you guessed incorrectly.

Sure.

This is the reason the next generation have gone to the likes of Spotify I guess..

Dug their own graves with this sort of nonsense with "discs".....

Go Figure.. :mad:@:

Back