Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here Surround Sound SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Record companies do not limit supply to drive up costs and demand. It does not work that way. They press as many as they think they can sell. There is no gouging or collusion on their part. They are in business to make money and it would be stupid of them to limit supply when the demand is there.

That's debatable. Maybe that wasn't the intent in this case. But there are plenty of times many industries intentionally limit things below the expected demand to drive up interest. Record store day is based on this at this point, it's nothing but an excuse for people to line up early and buy limited supplies that they have no interest in owning, to immediately flip on ebay for a large profit. That may not have been the original intent, but limited supplies doesn't make for a fun collectible, it makes for an opportunity for middle men to make a profit off of the collectors. Also, quite often things are advertised as limited supplies, limited edition.....certainly this is to drive up sales. Buy it now, you won't have the chance tomorrow. Maybe it's not fair to suggest that driving up cost and demand is the only reason for limited supplies, but certainly they are factors.

That's debatable. Maybe that wasn't the intent in this case. But there are plenty of times many industries intentionally limit things below the expected demand to drive up interest. Record store day is based on this at this point, it's nothing but an excuse for people to line up early and buy limited supplies that they have no interest in owning, to immediately flip on ebay for a large profit. That may not have been the original intent, but limited supplies doesn't make for a fun collectible, it makes for an opportunity for middle men to make a profit off of the collectors. Also, quite often things are advertised as limited supplies, limited edition.....certainly this is to drive up sales. Buy it now, you won't have the chance tomorrow. Maybe it's not fair to suggest that driving up cost and demand is the only reason for limited supplies, but certainly they are factors.
I am sorry but it is just bad business to intentionally limit sales of anything you are trying to sell. Stupidity.

Nobody has answered my Q

We're not a question and answer service.

Why don't they just cut some more SACD disks?

They probably can't, as others have explained.

Or is there anywhere I can buy the tracks downloaded for the original $35 price or whatever it was..

Not in surround. For stereo, I checked HDtracks and they have some Pink Floyd there, but I did not see Wish You Were Here. Your attitude isn't winning you any friends, so I wouldn't expect much help.

This is BS.. It's just pure and un-adultered gouging..Pure and simple. The cut is only what 12 months old?? Just total BS...

By whom? Acoustic Sounds made their money at $35 a disc, although towards the end they raised their prices. They don't make an extra cent from the secondary market. Neither does the band, nor did EMI (former label), nor did Parlophone who would be the current record company. Presumably then, you are saying that WE are gouging you, or maybe independent sellers who carry things on the secondary market.

I don't think that's a productive negotiating tactic. You're complaining that no one answered your question, that life is unfair, and then subtly slamming us for not selling you our copies at the price you want.

Whats in it for Acoustic Sounds if they run out of production so quick and don't cut some more?

What's in it for them is the terms of the contract. I'm not sure if Acoustic Sounds would have any angle to even ask to press more copies. EMI doesn't even exist anymore, although I don't know the details of how Parlophone was spun off from its ashes.

I am sorry but it is just bad business to intentionally limit sales of anything you are trying to sell. Stupidity.

I don't disagree with you, but I wonder if what is really driving the decisions on how many copies to press is avoiding pressing too many. I wonder if fear of financial loss due to unsold copies makes them press fewer, essentially.

Say a record company thinks something will sell 10,000 titles. The press that many, and only 7500 sell. They lose money right? If they think something will sell 10,000 copies and they press only 7500, yes they could have made more money but they greatly minimized their downside risk.

The side effect is that 2500 people might bid the price up pretty fast on the secondary market. Pressing another run of only 2500 might be too few to make back the cost, even if they all sell out. The title ends up only on the secondary market for three times the issue price.

When a record company decides to press a bunch of copies of an album the only benchmark should be how many they think it will sell. They will never get that number correct. They will press either too many or too few. If they press too few it is simply that they underestimated the market. They could care less about the collectors reselling it when they become rare since they make no money from it. If they produce too many it really doesn't cost them that much since pressing CDs is relatively cheap.

The basic ignorance of how businesses work stuns me.
This whole go around of how people get bent when something doesn't work specifically for them is funny.
These releases are niche market products with specific limitations with any profit based on razor-thin margins.

There was a similar dust up on SHF over a XTC release that was only being offered on Blu-ray & not DVD-A & Blu-ray.
Fact is the previous XTC release sold less than 1k copies on DVD-A.
Even given the obvious fact that DVD-A was a losing proposition for XTC titles, people still pissed & moaned about alienating customers & blah, blah, blah.
What fact about losing money results in NO MORE RELEASES don't people get?
There are a ton of other factors as well, too many to go into but none are esoteric or secret.

It should be common sense that these releases are limited and especially with a huge band like Pink Floyd the titles are going to sell in large numbers relatively.

The basic ignorance of how businesses work stuns me.
This whole go around of how people get bent when something doesn't work specifically for them is funny.
These releases are niche market products with specific limitations with any profit based on razor-thin margins.

There was a similar dust up on SHF over a XTC release that was only being offered on Blu-ray & not DVD-A & Blu-ray.
Fact is the previous XTC release sold less than 1k copies on DVD-A.
Even given the obvious fact that DVD-A was a losing proposition for XTC titles, people still pissed & moaned about alienating customers & blah, blah, blah.
What fact about losing money results in NO MORE RELEASES don't people get?
There are a ton of other factors as well, too many to go into but none are esoteric or secret.

It should be common sense that these releases are limited and especially with a huge band like Pink Floyd the titles are going to sell in large numbers relatively.

Hell yeah! And I just bought 3 of them. :banana:

And they did.

Wish You Were Here on Surround SACD sold 40,000 copies according to Chad Kassem's comments at an Audio Show awhile back.
Significantly more than the 2,000 copies per album that Mobile Fidelity is pressing today for new SACD reissues.

When sales dry up and the initial production run is sold out - or the licensing period expires - that's the end of availability of the SACD.

And they did.

Wish You Were Here on Surround SACD sold 40,000 copies according to Chad Kassem's comments at an Audio Show awhile back.
Significantly more than the 2,000 copies per album that Mobile Fidelity is pressing today for new SACD reissues.

When sales dry up and the initial production run is sold out - or the licensing period expires - that's the end of availability of the SACD.

I wonder how many copies "enterprising" individuals purchased? You know, with the idea of making a fairly decent profit down the road? I mean, would one consider buying 25-50 at once? I wouldn't...but that's just me.

And they did.

Holy Crap!
That's far more than I would have dreamed.
While I'm certain that some bought multiple copies, that has got to be the all time best-seller.
Seems that any dim-wit could see the potential in other Floyd surround titles, no?

Holy Crap!
While I'm certain that some bought multiple copies, that has got to be the all time best-seller.
Seems that any dim-wit could see the potential in other Floyd surround titles, no?

More than 3 years ago [perhaps more] James Guthrie announced he was working on a 5.1 remix for PF's The Wall. He admitted that the tapes were in very poor condition and had to be baked in order for him to competently do the transfers.

I would expect an announcement forthcoming from Analogue Productions who will probably handle the sale of these discs.

Holy Crap!

Actually not.

The SACD Surround Sound edition of Dark Side of the Moon sold over 1 Million units.

Seeing the 35th Anniversary SACD selling for well over $150 even up to $200 over at Crapazon. Glad I picked that one up for a mere $29 back in 2012. :)

I would have been happy getting $75 or $80 for my sealed copy, until some 'expert appraiser' here decided that I was gouging if I didn't sell it for what I paid for it. I should be pleased with his 'advice' though, because it is now listed for $150 on another site. Will it sell? I dunno ...

... but I only have one extra copy and it doesn't take up a lot of room, so I don't care if it takes a year or more to sell. In the mean time, it is a good trader to have around ... especially since it will only appreciate in value. I expect that the same logic applies to most of the Amazon sellers. I say good luck to them! :smokin

Back