Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here Surround Sound SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be selling quite well on SACD. I went to order it and it says "Awaiting Repress" on the Music Direct site. I was going to add it to my order for another SACD that they have in stock that everyone else is out of. When might this repress be done? Next year?

Only Acoustic Sounds has it in stock Nobody else.

Sounds like that's the case. Elusive Disc shows the SACD as being back in stock on 12/31.

i don't have an issue with level of .1 as front and rear in mine set-up produce enough of the bass,
but i see that the center in this mix isn't localized very well. that's makes the lead vocal on some
tracks sound quite lossy.
overall sound fidelity is good. surround mix is so-so. for this sort of music could be more agressive.
not yet heard stereo mix

Must be selling quite well on SACD. I went to order it and it says "Awaiting Repress" on the Music Direct site. I was going to add it to my order for another SACD that they have in stock that everyone else is out of. When might this repress be done? Next year?

Only Acoustic Sounds has it in stock Nobody else.

Amazon.com has it listed now -- for pre-order: release January 12th.

http://amzn.to/WYWHSACD

Amazon.Com picking up the Wish You Were Here SACD should help sales further. It's all good news as far as encouraging more SACD releases.

I hear the upcoming Ray Charles & Betty Carter 3-Channel SACD from Analogue Productions is a winner as well. It's on my list.

HMV Canada second box set 40% off
this weekend DSOTM WYWH $ 125
about $200 for both

I'm curious and didn't see an answer in a few threads I looked at. Is the Quad version of WYWH shorter than the 5.1-Channel version because of the need to fit the quad version into the LP or 8-track format? It's about 35 seconds shorter (it shows up in Jon's waves as well).

I'm curious and didn't see an answer in a few threads I looked at. Is the Quad version of WYWH shorter than the 5.1-Channel version because of the need to fit the quad version into the LP or 8-track format? It's about 35 seconds shorter (it shows up in Jon's waves as well).

Most likely. The quad version has some different edits. Have a Cigar has a longer outro, WYWH has the (cough and sniff) edited out, and SOYCD part 8 has some changes.

A_L

I realize the subjectivity of this questions - but if I, someone who loves DSOTM, but is otherwise uneducated on PF, wanted to purchase this disc, should I stick with the reasonably-priced SACD, or go for gusto and get the Blu-ray. I'm naturally leaning toward saving $100, because the SACD of DSOTM is so incredible, I can't imagine it being improved on (although I've ready it has been) on the Blu-ray. Decisions decisions!

Sound-wise I don't think you'll see much difference (though some would probably disagree!). The biggest difference between the Immersion set and the SACD is that on the Immersion set the Blu-ray also contains the Quad mix, which some folks here think is better than the 5.1 (SACD) mix. I just looked on ebay - looks like you can get the Immersion version new for around $90 with shipping now...

Thanks! I think I'll stick with the SACD for now...I hate the thought of buying all that "stuff" just to get a bluray.

A bit of background...

-I have the DSOTM on SACD (and adore it), but would love the get the Immersion set one day, but not yet
-I'm now looking to purchase WYWH, and am not sure which format I should buy
-I'm located in Canada, and all the great deals many of you seem to be able to find and not available here (sad face)

Cheapest copy of DSOTM Immersion here on ebay - approx $130 with shipping (plus tax)
Cheapest copy of WYWH Immersion - $105 (pls tax)
Cheapest copy of WYWH SACD - $35

So my pickle is if I should spend the $70 extra dollars on WYWH on blu-ray, or if I'd be ignorantly happy with the SACD, like I am with DSOTM.

Looks like I'll be getting the SACD then. Only $30 on amazon.. Also I just saw that a Lynyrd Skynyrd DVD-Audio was quietly released and only at Wal-Mart? I had to dig to find this.. surprised not more people were talking about it.

Sounds good. Took two separate trips but picked up Lynyrd Skynyrd today! Can't wait to give it a spin. Wish all the new KC releases were a box set. Will be picking up new Pink Floyd soon.. I wonder if the new Primus Blu-Ray will play on my PS3?

That's the one I bought, so I hope so! It honestly looks pretty fake (the case and disc itself), but the content seems fine, and all is present.

Back