Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here Surround Sound SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sspsandy said:
It is my understanding that Alan Parsons did the quad versions of both WYWH as well as Atom Heart Mother.

That's what I thought. Maybe Tad knows, or might be able to ask him directly.

According to this article, Alan Parsons ended his engineering duties with Pink Floyd after DSOTM.

http://www.dprp.net/proghistory/index.php?i=1976_02

After Dark Side Alan didn't record with the Floyd again since he wasn't willing to continue on the 35 pound per week salary he got during the recording of Dark Side. Alan: "It was a business decision based around the fact that I didn't really feel that I should continue working as an engineer for Pink Floyd without the promise of some kind of royalty, on the basis that I was entering a production career where I was being paid a royalty. Having earned a fairly menial engineering's salary as a staff member of Abbey Road, I wasn't going to do it again on the same basis with the success that Dark Side of the Moon had had. Unfortunately they turned me down, they said 'sorry we'd love to work with you but we're not going to pay you a royalty' ".

It is a little known fact that a very high quality (technical, that is) WYWH 5.1 mix is available as the DTS soundtrack of the "Dark Side of the Rainbow" DVD.

It has full separation and as such is much better than any SQ LP you may have heard. It seems to be taken of some multichannel master.

elias said:
It is a little known fact that a very high quality (technical, that is) WYWH 5.1 mix is available as the DTS soundtrack of the "Dark Side of the Rainbow" DVD.

It has full separation and as such is much better than any SQ LP you may have heard. It seems to be taken of some multichannel master.
It is the quadraphonic 8-track tape played on a reel-to-reel deck.

Cai Campbell said:
It is the quadraphonic 8-track tape played on a reel-to-reel deck.
Thanks Cai. It's not a direct quad transfer, but it seems to be really 5 discrete channels. Or else a lot of effort was put into for example creating a discrete center channel: in the start of the WYWH title track, only the center channel is active. If the source was Q8, it must have been edited manually. The noise level, the crispy high response, the dynamics in the low region (start of Welcome to the Machine) etc is - or seems - not consistent with a Q8.

Was it Tab's transfer? I guess my next order to him will include his Fostex Q8 xfer to compare.

elias said:
Was it Tab's transfer? I guess my next order to him will include his Fostex Q8 xfer to compare.
No, this one wasn't Tab's (although his is really good too). It was done by another QQ member who hasn't visited us in quite a while... :(

Cai Campbell said:
No, this one wasn't Tab's (although his is really good too). It was done by another QQ member who hasn't visited us in quite a while... :(

I haven't heard from him for awhile either. He reappeared a while back for a few weeks and then dropped out out of site again.

I'm sure he's "All Around"........................... :D

:D Good One!
Yea I'm All Around at work:eek:
I've popped in a few times .... boy Surround Sound Is going the way of QUAD!:mad:@:
I said this at the start if they don't promote it and get off their butts it's a gonner:mad:
Dual Disc was the end:(
Sacd to much confusion SONY Does it again(n)
IDIOTS:confused:
:alienrob:
Rob

Well I think we all have the same beef about lack of titles, but I keep thinking just how broke I would be if more mainstream stuff did get released in MC hi-rez. I already spend quite a bit monthly on what is already out there. Mainly jazz and classical though I must admit. Rock just isn't doing as much for me now as it did 30 years ago.

Guy Robinson said:
Well I think we all have the same beef about lack of titles, but I keep thinking just how broke I would be if more mainstream stuff did get released in MC hi-rez. I already spend quite a bit monthly on what is already out there. Mainly jazz and classical though I must admit. Rock just isn't doing as much for me now as it did 30 years ago.

I am not sure that this would apply to me. I would likely spend a bit more money if there were more good titles available, BUT I have spent a lot of money on crap that I ONLY bought hoping to find a good one. I certainly would not have as many Silverline titles ... that's a fact. Mike.

AllAroundSurround said:
:D Good One!
Yea I'm All Around at work:eek:
I've popped in a few times .... boy Surround Sound Is going the way of QUAD!:mad:@:
I said this at the start if they don't promote it and get off their butts it's a gonner:mad:
Dual Disc was the end:(
Sacd to much confusion SONY Does it again(n)
IDIOTS:confused:
:alienrob:
Rob

I got so furious with one of the morons at the Best Buy in Pensacola this week. I asked about SACD and DVD-Audio titles, and he handed me two boxes of disks that were stashed under a computer terminal. He said that DualDiscs were now the STANDARD for surround sound music.

In spite of my better judgement, I tried to educate a 20-year-old know-it-all that MOST DualDisc titles were in fact NOT surround sound at all, but 2-ch DVD fomat. I even pulled a couple of random titles from the shelves. He actually told me that I didn't know what I was talking about and walked away.

Fu@k Best Buy, and fu@k the punk-ass kids who work there. Mike.

I have generally found that you either buy a new release on the release date (ex-Morph the Cat) from a brick and mortar store. IF YOU CAN EVEN FIND IT. After that you have to get it over the internet.

DualDisc was killed the moment it was introduced and SONY decided to stop doing SACDs and releasing DualDiscs with DD only surround mixes, then NO SURROUND mixes. Good grief, kill off SACD, kill off DVD-A, then relegate DualDisc to a curio. Way to go! :mad:

Quadzilla said:
I got so furious with one of the morons at the Best Buy in Pensacola this week. I asked about SACD and DVD-Audio titles, and he handed me two boxes of disks that were stashed under a computer terminal. He said that DualDiscs were now the STANDARD for surround sound music.

Well, actually, from the standpoint of the 'majors', in the USA at least, he's right. Though DualDisc too looks to be a failure. From a market perspective . the only consistent 'standard' for surround music has been good old DVD-V, with its Dolby Digital or DTS soundtracks. The next 'standard' for surround will probably be either Blu-ray or HD-DVD discs.

JonUrban said:
DualDisc was killed the moment it was introduced and SONY decided to stop doing SACDs and releasing DualDiscs with DD only surround mixes, then NO SURROUND mixes. Good grief, kill off SACD, kill off DVD-A, then relegate DualDisc to a curio. Way to go! :mad:

Yup. Sony sucks. The only think that they did right was the single layer SACD's at the very beginning which have generally excellent sound. Then they didn't follow through with the Hybrid. Then they have continued to kill almost everything else since. I also agree that they will put a lot of effort no doubt into their new HD DVD format. Hopefully they will use no-loss DTS for this.

Guy Robinson said:
The only think that they did right was the single layer SACD's at the very beginning which have generally excellent sound. Then they didn't follow through with the Hybrid.

Actually, I think the single layer fiasco was something they did very wrong at the beginning. A major selling point for SACD was that it was backwards compatible, and then all Sony's SACD launch titles (and beyond, for a time) were single layer only? What the fvck?

As far as marketing hi-rez music and/or surround-sound, Sony sucks for sure, and they have for some time. They've shot themselves in the foot so many times now, all that is left is a ragged, bloody stump.

It wouldn't be so bad if all they were doing was shooting their own foot, if you catch my drift.

:mad:

Cai Campbell said:
Actually, I think the single layer fiasco was something they did very wrong at the beginning. A major selling point for SACD was that it was backwards compatible, and then all Sony's SACD launch titles (and beyond, for a time) were single layer only? :mad:

I realize that it would have been better to be backwards compatible but after listening to the SACD layer who is going to want to listen to the CD layer anyway? Alternately, anyone that buys a hybrid for the CD will not care about the SACD layer.

All, I know is that they seem to have spent a lot of time making the sonics pretty perfect on the single layer discs that they did at the beginning. They just didn't market it right. If they did and convinced the general public, the single layers probably would have been fine. I for one have never actually listened to most of the CD layers on the hybrid discs that I currently have.

Back