Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here Surround Sound SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JonUrban said:
One more time for poor old SONY...........................:rolleyes:

It's about time this piss-poor format goes down the drain!

The big laugh for me in this article is the statement by Feingold:
Feingold believes the PSP's biggest drawback as a movie-watching device was the inability to connect the gadget to TV sets for big-screen viewing, "which would have made it more compelling," as well as the inclusion of memory stick capability.

Is he kidding? The inability to connect the thing to the TV is the only thing that keeps most PSP users from realizing what crappy quality the UMD discs have! Come on: half the resolution of standard tv? And no 5.1? And all that for the price of a DVD (or more)? I'm just glad the consumers didn't turn out as stupid as Sony was hoping on this one!

Best regards,
Oliver

Cai Campbell said:
Actually, I think the single layer fiasco was something they did very wrong at the beginning. A major selling point for SACD was that it was backwards compatible

If there's ANY one thing we've learned for sure from the history of audio formats, it's that dual-inventory releases DO NOT DO WELL. I think labels get overly excited thinking of the money they'll get from everyone having to buy their collections all over again. What they DON'T realize is the reverse: that the average buyer will realize that the thing needs a special player that they don't have and don't plan to get, and pass it by.

If SACD had been hybrid from Day One, the message could have been, "Here's the next big thing in audio! Buy it now for the remastering and extra features (whoops! sorry -- momentarily forgot SACD didn't have these) and play it today. When SACD takes over the world and players are everywhere, you can thrill to the BRAND NEW 5.1 MIX! All for only a few bucks more than an (overpriced) CD!"

So not only should they have all been hybrids, but I would have considered making them single-inventory releases -- i.e., replacing the CD.
After all, CD's are SO 1984.

Replacing the CD with SACD was the key to Sony, and they blew it. Nothing makes consumers want to try new formats more than realizing that they ALREADY own the software. Sooner or later, the SACD logo and desire to hear the 5.1 mix on the discs they already owned would have fueled the sale of not only players but 5.1 receivers and speakers.

Dual Inventory heralds DOOMED INVENTORY!

BananaSlug said:
How do they stay in business? Failure seems to be all too aften rewarded these days.
Their virtual monopoly in music publishing is the only thing keeping them in a position even remotely resembling relevance. They've been able to screw up so badly simply because they hold so many cards.

Guy Robinson said:
I realize that it would have been better to be backwards compatible but after listening to the SACD layer who is going to want to listen to the CD layer anyway?
Answer: the people who didn't currently own SACD players at the time but may have considered them in the future. From a marketing perspective, backwards compatibility is a MAJOR advantage. To not capitalize on that advantage is foolhardiness in its most basic form.

JonUrban said:
Replacing the CD with SACD was the key to Sony, and they blew it. Nothing makes consumers want to try new formats more than realizing that they ALREADY own the software. Sooner or later, the SACD logo and desire to hear the 5.1 mix on the discs they already owned would have fueled the sale of not only players but 5.1 receivers and speakers.

Dual Inventory heralds DOOMED INVENTORY!

And wait until SACD 2.0 emerges. The chips are ready to play them. It will include HD-JPEG video. The Zoran Vaddis 888 is the chip.

Imagine a change in specs at this stage...

http://www.zoran.com/Vaddis-R-888

wapfu said:
Is "Wish You Were Here" going to be released? ever?
Bill

I just read a first hand account of an intimate David Gilmour interview / performance on April 7th: http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/general/dg06z.html

"While David fielded questions about a whole host of topics, there were a few things he said that were new to me, for example: on the top of his "to do" list is to complete a Dolby 5.1 mix of "Wish You Were Here" when he gets a chance"

I'm not really sure what this means since this guy is obviously paraphrasing what Gilmour said exactly. The only positive thing I got out of this is that a 5.1 "Wish You Were Here" is still on the burner. From what I've read, Gilmour won't be doing anything until after a summer holiday following his "On an Island" tour (which ends May 31st).

Hi there!
zabble said:
I just read a first hand account of an intimate David Gilmour interview / performance on April 7th: http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/general/dg06z.html

"While David fielded questions about a whole host of topics, there were a few things he said that were new to me, for example: on the top of his "to do" list is to complete a Dolby 5.1 mix of "Wish You Were Here" when he gets a chance"

What disturbs me here is the Dolby 5.1 part :confused:
I just hope that this will be done and released in HiRez...
Or maybe the author of this article also didn't know what he was talking about...

Best regards,
Oliver

Cai Campbell said:
Answer: the people who didn't currently own SACD players at the time but may have considered them in the future. From a marketing perspective, backwards compatibility is a MAJOR advantage. To not capitalize on that advantage is foolhardiness in its most basic form.

That was also the intention of the original quadraphonic LP formats ... even CD-4 ... "Compatible Discrete" 4-channel. I owned several quad LPs before I owned any hardware to play them on, but we all had our stereo equipment to play them on.

It isn't a bad strategy to court the mainstream customer. As I recall, quad LPs were a buck or two more than their stereo counterparts (not unlike most hybrid SACDs), and when you started to accumulate them, you wanted to hear them as they were intended, and you bought the appropriate playback equipment.

How old does THAT make me look? Mike.

El Guapo said:
What disturbs me here is the Dolby 5.1 part :confused:
I just hope that this will be done and released in HiRez...
Or maybe the author of this article also didn't know what he was talking about...

Most non-tech people writing about technical matters like this make such mistakes. For many people, "5.1" = Dolby Digital, period.

But hey, even Mute Records' own press releases about their SACD/DVD combos describes the PCM audio on the DVD as "24 bit" when it has been 16 bit on every single one so far :)

Anyone heard an update on this? All I can find on www.brain-damage.co.uk is an old article that says it may be released by year end 2005 and another small blip that says "third quarter 2006?"

Seems to be as elusive as the Pulse DVD. :(

Now www.brain-damage.co.uk says "Q2 2007? - Wish You Were Here SACD". Will this ever see the light of day? Do you think it will really be released on SACD in the hybrid format that DSOTM was released in? Or DVD-A?

Now www.brain-damage.co.uk says "Q2 2007? - Wish You Were Here SACD". Will this ever see the light of day? Do you think it will really be released on SACD in the hybrid format that DSOTM was released in? Or DVD-A?

That was posted a year and a half ago so I don't know if it means anything now, but as far as I know nothing further has been indicated or denied.

Chris

Not 100% percent relevant, but yesteday I listened to the surround version of WYWH on DVD-A

It is the 3.8Gb version, dowloaded from the torrents (supposed to be the best one out there)
Did some A/B comparisons with the 1992 CD remaster as well.

Nowhere near as clear as the CD, but not as bad as it could have been either. Not commercial quality though.
R and L channels appear to have been transposed (no bid deal) and it definately is a bona-fide surround mix. There is stuff just on the fronts, just on the rears or just on one speaker. Some limp LFE action too.

Can't wait for the real thing...

I still don't underatand why they used a super jewel case with WYWH and Animals SACDs, but not on DSOTM or AHM. Then when they released The Wall SACD they went digi pack and Echos will also be Digi pack at christmas.
OH Sorry Everybody, I just went into an alternate reality.

I still don't underatand why they used a super jewel case with WYWH and Animals SACDs, but not on DSOTM or AHM. Then when they released The Wall SACD they went digi pack and Echos will also be Digi pack at christmas.
OH Sorry Everybody, I just went into an alternate reality.

Alternate ??? ... friggin' dillusion !!! :eek:

Back