Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here Surround Sound SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't seen any new SACDs from Crest in some time. Most of the new SACD releases are made by either Sonopress in Germany or Sony DADC in Austria these days.

I'm pretty certain these - with the sole exception (assuming it is still open) of Sony DADC UK (They bought what used to be called Disctronics) that SonoPress Germany & Sony DADC Austria are the only ones in europe with the necessary license from Sony.
They took away the replication rights from a lot of lines because of major quality problems. The same thing is happening with BD discs too - there were a few of what Sony call "Technical Partners" involved at first, but they lost the rights to replicate after Sony checked & found what they were outputting was not up to scratch.
And you cannot fault them for that.
Sony DADC Europe also replicate DVD-A discs too! I got such a shock when I got the PT FOABP Test Moulds back with Sony's name all over them. I guess I tend to forget they own DVD-A patents, and only went into SACD because they refused to share a format & wanted to own it outright.

If it came to it, I'd rather they put out the old Quad mix and have done with it, though like everyone here I'd hardly turn my snout up at a 5.1 redo ala DSOTM. Still, I'll believe it when it's in my hands.

ED :)

I really want Pink Floyd on DVD Audio! (or HD DVD).. :mad:@:

Jesper, Why don't you get a Uni player??
The War is over and nobody won......:)
You seem to like surround music and you are missing out on some good stuff that might not be available anytime soon.
SACD does not cause health problems and it is safe around pets and children.

Unless someone/thing at Sony caused you great pain I don't get your "DVD-A or nothing" stance:confused:

Go for it.....(y)

"I really want Pink Floyd on DVD Audio! (or HD DVD)"

I guess I've never thought about this before, but I can totally see it happening: Instead of releasing titles in DVD-A or SACD they start releasing in HD DVD (or maybe even Blu-ray), forcing us surround sound lovers to buy new equipment.

I'm personally waiting until I can get a Universal HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player for under $200 US. Then I'll invest.

Ryan

Instead of releasing titles in DVD-A or SACD they start releasing in HD DVD (or maybe even Blu-ray), forcing us surround sound lovers to buy new equipment. Ryan

Isn't that what they did when they introduced SACD and DVD-Audio in the first place? Remember, there were no universal players for those formats for a time ... or DTS and Dolby Digital for that matter. In fact, CD-4 was in that same boat when everyone had a stereo/matrix turntable system! The sad reality is that newer and newer technology has a shorter and shorter shelf life before something "better" comes along. Becoming obsolete has sadly become the norm for us surround lovers, as has buying new equipment.

I'm personally waiting until I can get a Universal HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player for under $200 US. Then I'll invest.

Ryan

I won't say never, but you definitely have a long wait for that one. Let's hope the silly format war is over before the prices get that cheap. We may never have much music available on either new format in any event. As far as software, things are progressing rather slowly. As far as low HD DVD player prices, things are moving rapidly though so who knows what will happen.

Chris

Nobody hold their breath. There has been a precedent set here, in that Storm Thorgerson's artwork for the Pink Floyd Pulse DVD set appeared in Nick Mason's book long before the DVD release appeared on the shelves, so it might appear, but it could be a long time. In the last interview with Roger Waters I read, he expressed interest in a 5.1 mix of WYWH, too.

I'm also guessing, based on the band's decision to get James Guthrie to remix Dark Side... rather than use the original Alan Parsons quad mix for the SACD release that they'll take the same route again. I've got the same, um, preserved quad versions of Floyd albums in either DTS-CD or DVDA format that I guess everyone else has. I'd like them to have released the new and old mixes together on the SACD of Dark Side (and on comparing the two I prefer the old quad mix). I'll be first in the queue for WYWH on SACD, though.

I won't say never, but you definitely have a long wait for that one. Let's hope the silly format war is over before the prices get that cheap. We may never have much music available on either new format in any event. As far as software, things are progressing rather slowly. As far as low HD DVD player prices, things are moving rapidly though so who knows what will happen.

Don't look now but HD-DVD players are selling for $199. They'll probably be $99 soon. Seems to be the big selling point for HD-DVD - cheap players. I'm all Blu but as long as more and more content comes out, everybody wins. HD music sounds great! :banana:

" I really want Pink Floyd on DVD Audio! (or HD DVD). "

Me Too ! But its a bad sign that David Gilmour announced ' Remember that Night ' for Dvd , Hd-Dvd and Bluray and it only came out on the first and last of these with no release date for the other :(

~M~

now an April release date. Definitely! possibly...maybe.

some bad engrish translation from a spanish forum:
http://boards2.melodysoft.com/Pink/wish-you-were-here-sacd-para-abril-83944570.html

"Wish You Were Wounds SACD of will launch finally during the month of April, reports EMI in that press release (not press conference) that I announced some weeks ago atras. He will contain, next to the original design, a new design carried out by Storm Thogersom on the original design of 1975. (Some photos already I have them placed previously in my page). The remasterización has been directed for James Guthrie with the consent of the 4 members of Pink Floyd. The result is espectácular improving even; to the edition in SACD of "The Dark Side Of The Moon" of 2003. It works in its presentation possibly in a box that will keep the SACD and referring elements to the design of cover sheet and curiosities of previous editions of the disk.

Here's the key, taking a note from Blu-Ray. Sony could start a whole new rebirth of SACD if this comes out and they plaster "PLAY IT ON YOUR PS3" all over it. Now that would be something.

Here's the key, taking a note from Blu-Ray. Sony could start a whole new rebirth of SACD if this comes out and they plaster "PLAY IT ON YOUR PS3" all over it. Now that would be something.

but maybe they should say plays on SOME PS3's after all its SACD has been dropped from 50% of the range in Europe.

Sony DADC Europe also replicate DVD-A discs too! I got such a shock when I got the PT FOABP Test Moulds back with Sony's name all over them. I guess I tend to forget they own DVD-A patents, and only went into SACD because they refused to share a format & wanted to own it outright.

Sony DADC US is repliating the Ringo Starr DVD-A too Hope my buddy at Koch keeps his promise and stows one aside for me!

I'm been looking forward to this probably as much if not more than anyone else. I kind of doubt it will ever happen now, unfortunately.
Jeez, I hope I'm wrong.
Ryan

Sorry to add this as a new post but I want to hit this subject from a new angle. I just picked up an excellent book: Mind over Matter - The Images of Pink Floyd, text by Storm Thorgerson, compiled/designed by Thorgerson & Peter Curzon. The book was updated and released 10/30/07. The book is career comprehensive and covers the DSOTM SACD and upcoming WYWH SACD. It stated that it was slated for release February, 2008 (hey, today is the 29th of February, wouldn't it be nice if it showed up?). On page 221, Thorgerson notes that (at the time of the book - I assume early summer, 2007) the 5.1 remastering mix was ready for auditioning by the band. Anyway, he does caution us in that it was 'work in progress' and might not 'make it to finish'. Any chance this will ever come out? Obviously, (the hard part) the mix exists so it's all in the (easy but political part) go-ahead by the band, the packaging, manufacturing, distribution, & marketing.

PS. I found Strom's web site and will try to email him to see if he has an update. Will let you know if I get anything back.

(y)(y)(y):rolleyes:(y)(y)(y):rolleyes:(y)(y)(y):rolleyes:(y)(y)(y):rolleyes:(y)(y)(y):rolleyes:(y)(y)(y)
:banana:​

Let's hope this actually shows up. I mean, how long did we wait for "Running on Empty"! :D

Back