Universal Multi SACDs: Michael McDonald & Peter Frampton

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
FYI, Universal Music has added 2 more Hybrid Multichannel SACDs to their upcoming release list today - Frampton Comes Alive by Peter Frampton and Motown by Michael McDonald.

Check their New Formats web site at consumers.umusic.com/home.html for the upcoming SACD list.

It will feel like junior high all over again!
That has some potential for being a pretty cool sounding disc. There was some nice ambience on that album....and a great keyboard sound......
..."Bob Mayo...on the keyboards...Bob Mayo!....."

No, please God....not Shania!!!! Her new album on SACD!!!!

Please, I am begging you all, tell all your friends....do not buy this disc.....do not buy this disc....don't contribute to the evil Shania/Mutt empire.....this phony-baloney doesn't need anymore money...

Am I completely losing it, or didn't I read ages ago (in "Ice" magazine) that "Comes Alive" was supposed to be released on DVD-A (or maybe by DTS) at some point? This was a couple years ago, before I even owned a DVD player or a surround system, so I didn't pay it much mind. This might have been around the time that the "Deluxe" edition was released. (That also raises the question - are they planning on including those bonus tracks on the new SACD?)

Cool to see that they're doing it as a hybrid disc. Sorry, DVD-A fans, but so long as labels release hybrid SACD discs, I'm going to cast my vote for that format, simply because I own too many "normal" CD players that I still want to listen to music on.

You are correct about the DVD-A. Mix magazine had an article about the album being re-done for DVD-A. Frampton says he loves the format. I guess he doesn't have much choice.

One interesting note: During the recording of the concert, the kick drum mic got moved accidentally (it was mic'd from the front head in those days) so it was parallel to the head. Not much low end in the recording. SO, Frampton was using today's technology to "beef" up the kick sound. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like!!

It's pretty common knowledge (more than rumors) that Frampton Comes Alive benefited from a number of studio fixes, so why not fix the kick drum then? They made full use of technology even then...

Back