HiRez Poll R.E.M. - DOCUMENT [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of R.E.M. - DOCUMENT

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters
Actually I always mean to get a copy of Sea Changes. If I could find some of those other titles cheap, I might give them a go! Thanks.

I'm a big Kevin Gilbert fan. I hope the Toy Matinee disc brings back good memories!

well its as good a time as any to get Sea Change since its now been reissued in Hi-Res with Elliot Scheiner's 5.1 mix on Blu-ray Audio and is much more affordable than the old DVD-A/SACD are nowadays.

Thanks! I'm sure I will enjoy Toy Matinee, I recall enjoying it in the past, I just couldn't recall it until you mentioned it! :D

Ps. Welcome to QQ Forum richy2times :)

I would've most likely never bought a Grover Washington Jr. or Aaron Neville album if it wasn't for them being in 5.1...

Thanks for your recommendations. I have discovered so many great artists only because of their 5.1 releases. I'd never bought anything from these until I picked up one of their 5.1 releases:

REM. (since this is an REM thread - now have quite a few DVD-As)
Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson (I now have the complete sets)
Patricia Barber (I now have most all her SACD stereo stuff too)
Beck
Mark Knoffler
Nosound
No-man
Anathema
Muse
... more ...

First of all, REM is one of my favorite all time bands. (From the 1982 Athens days). I am so excited to hear this in surround. Bill Berry rocks the cymbals! Plus now I have the lyrics on screen. Yes, Michael Stipe was a strange lyricist.

I'm a pretty big R.E.M. fan who owns all the multichannel sets except Document and Around the Sun. I'm tossing around completing the set but need to decide which pricey version of Document to pursue. I'm mostly interested in the 5.1 playback, which seems to be identical in both releases.

Best I can tell, the distinguishing factor between the two editions (DVD-A and DualDisc) seems to be that one release has higher resolution stereo and the other one has videos. I'm more interested in the hi-res audio.

Can someone who owns one or both of these releases comment on their perception? It'd also be a big help if someone could maybe post an image of the back and/or share which UPC # belongs to which release. I've scoured and I think I've got it down (thanks to Discogs), but just in case since I can't afford to buy multiple copies for these asking prices.

Fortunately, Around the Sun is an easier purchase to research and a much cheaper disc... of course, it's hard to pull the trigger on buying that underwhelming album a second time -- which says something since I already own three versions of Document.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
I'm a pretty big R.E.M. fan who owns all the multichannel sets except Document and Around the Sun. I'm tossing around completing the set but need to decide which pricey version of Document to pursue. I'm mostly interested in the 5.1 playback, which seems to be identical in both releases.

Best I can tell, the distinguishing factor between the two editions (DVD-A and DualDisc) seems to be that one release has higher resolution stereo and the other one has videos. I'm more interested in the hi-res audios.

Can someone who owns one or both of these releases comment on their perception? It'd also be a big help if someone could maybe post an image of the back and/or share which UPC # belongs to which release. I've scoured and I think I've got it down (thanks to Discogs), but just in case since I can't afford to buy multiple copies for these asking prices.

Fortunately, Around the Sun is an easier purchase to research and a much cheaper disc... of course, it's hard to pull the trigger on buying that underwhelming album a second time -- which says something since I already own three versions of Document.

Thanks in advance for any help.

AFAIK, the only difference between the DVD-A and the DualDisc edition of "Document" is the addition of the CD layer to the Dualdisc. Other than that, the discs are identical, so I don't think it matters which one you purchase.
Also, you need to purchase "Around the Sun" too. The album itself may underwhelm you, but the surround mix is fantastic, a better surround mix IMHO than "Document", but your mileage may vary. :)

Just listened to Document last nite.It's a pretty good REM disc on IRS/CAPITOL with 3-4 hit tunes I believe.One of those discs that sounds as good as the beginning as it does the end.

AFAIK, the only difference between the DVD-A and the DualDisc edition of "Document" is the addition of the CD layer to the Dualdisc. Other than that, the discs are identical, so I don't think it matters which one you purchase.
Also, you need to purchase "Around the Sun" too. The album itself may underwhelm you, but the surround mix is fantastic, a better surround mix IMHO than "Document", but your mileage may vary. :)

Document DualDisc & DVD-A pics as requested by IronWaffle..

(Images Snipped for Concision}

Thank you both for the help -- I wound up relying on the two above posts. Six months later I finally lucked into a copy. Not only for an amazing price but sealed. Since this is a hobby, not an investment, I have no problem how opening it will affect its value but I admit it somehow feels wrong to open something that's stayed sealed this long -- top strip, hype stickers, the whole megillah. For now I think I'll save it for a rainy day. Lots of rainy days ahead methinks. In the meantime I'll this recent homage will do...

[video=youtube;8brH1kdAySw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8brH1kdAySw[/video]

I also picked up Around The Sun several months ago. Two listens convinced me it's a finely nuanced mix of songs so somnambulant my mind kept drifting away. I tried focusing on the lyrics but... well, yeah, no.

I bought this off eBay recently (in a lot along with Automatic and Reveal) mostly to hear "The One I Love" in surround and it does not disappoint. That track features a guitar overdub in the center that's either really buried or missing entirely from the original stereo mix. I also really enjoyed four-corner panning effect that kicks off "Oddfellows Local 151". Kind of evokes a 70s era SQ type of mix.

Anyway I brought this to the local Best Buy (with a Magnolia section) for fun, figuring I'd hear the DTS track through whatever player they have there, but to my surprise it turns out the Sony Blu-Ray unit properly decoded the MLP layer. Of course, no one there had ever heard of the format and it totally blew their minds. Sometimes I think half the reason this format failed is because they weren't doing enough demos at places like Best Buy

I voted 9. All the R.E.M. discs I've acquired so far are awesome.

Last edited:
I bought this off eBay recently (in a lot along with automatic and reveal) mostly to hear "the one I love" in surround and it does not disappoint. The guitar in the center channel during that track is either buried or missing entirely in the stereo, which is a neat touch. The rest of the album is pretty good as well...I particularly like the 4 corner pan that kicks off "oddfellows local 151". Kind of evokes a 70s era SQ type of mix.

Anyway I brought this to the local Best Buy (with a magnolia section) for fun, figuring I'd hear the DTS track through whatever player they have there, but to my surprise it turns out the Sony blu ray machine they had actually plays DVD-A. Of course no one there heard of the format and it totally blew their minds. Sometimes I think half the reason this format failed is because they weren't doing enough demos at places like Best Buy

I give it a 9...all the REM discs I have so far are great

King of Birds really kills in surround. Compared to reference discs this one sounds a bit compressed but the mix is amazing, along with the great tunes. Great idea taking it to BB. Pretty sure I bought mine there...way back, in the multichannel section.

First listen since, well, when I bought it 12-13 years ago ;)

A good 9 for me. Plenty of stuff in the rear. I had to crank the volume a bit to make it shine though :51QQ

I voted 8. Almost a 9, but I held back. My vote is based on the DVD-A. I do not own the Dual Disc.
The DVD-A is a 5.1 24/96 with DR's per track 12's, 13's, 14's and a 15, which is quite good. The fidelity quite good, sounds like R.E.M. It is discrete, some tracks better than others. Track 3 has noise going around speakers.
I love all the songs. Plays loud well.
The reason I voted 8 is because although it has good surround moments they are not all the time.
As a R.E.M. fan of course this is a must for my collection and I am glad I have it.R-2073597-1262472345.jpeg.jpg

Back