HiRez Poll R.E.M. - DOCUMENT [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of R.E.M. - DOCUMENT

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters
I'm not very impressed with this. It seems to be along the same lines of much of the 5.1 Warner stuff in that I don't find it very cohesive, and there seem to be mixing issues with the vocals (lead and backing) and some percussion in that they seem to be too loud/isolated, some backing vocals too quiet, or vocal parts that don't work musically have remained in the mix. Listening to the dualdisc, the DTS appears tinny and thin compared to the DD track, which was a surprise. I quite like listening to the isolated front pair though. A brief moment of excitement (then disappointment) was to see that Oddfellows... ran to about 45 secs longer than the stereo mix, only to find the track played to normal length and then indexed to the track list menu. I was also hoping for horns in the 5.1 of Finest Worksong, but that would stretch even further from the stereo mixes than these tracks already do.

You're welcome. Not very common in the UK - especially at a reasonable price... (Like many old 5.1 discs!)

I know you didn't ask me, but I really liked Hotel California in 5.1, but the R.E.M. stuff I find really patchy. Much of it sounds unfinished/rushed to me. Although New Adventures, Around the Sun and Reveal seem to be better than the others. I'm not famliar with the albums in stereo though. I gather he's got a great reputation, but I don't know how much of that is based on a few releases, then expectation. I wonder if it's like some kind of H***man syndrome, or maybe I just don't get his style and/or my set up isn't complimentary to it. The Daniel Lanois stuff for Peter Gabriel is another case of the 5.1 not matching the stereo, but I found it much easier to listen to than ES R.E.M. stuff. (With apologies to ES, never nice to get criticism.)

:yikes I'm not fussed about the R.E.M.'s.. but ES has done some excellent 5.1's...

1. Grover Washington Jr. - Winelight (DVD-A),
2. America - Homecoming (DVD-A),
3. Steely Dan - Gaucho (SACD/DVD-A/DTS CD),
4. Beck - Sea Change (SACD/DVD-A/DTS CD),
5. Donald Fagen - The Nightfly (SACD/DVD-A),
6. Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad (DVD-A),
7. Steely Dan - Everything Must Go (DVD-A),
8. Toto - IV (SACD),
9. Eagles - Hotel California (SACD/DVD-A),
10. Nature Boy - Aaron Neville (SACD/DVD-A),
11. Boz Scaggs - Dig (DVD-A),
12. Derek & The Dominos - Layla (DTS DVD-V in SDE),
13. Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard (BD-A in SDE),
14. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Southern Surroundings (DVD-A),
15. Van Morrison - Moondance (BDA in SDE).

What? No love for Elliot Scheiner? This the only REM studio album surround disc I have (DualDisc) but I do have "In Time" (DVD-A - CD). Here's another two I have not voted on.

I have lots of love for ES! :wave

I just can't justify shelling out big bucks for a disc I'll probably only play once and go "meh" and it end up sat on a shelf next to a load of other unplayed/hardly played stuff! Plus I've got enough things in my newly arrived pile to keep me going for more than a wee while (that rhymed!) :D

:yikes I'm not fussed about the R.E.M.'s.. but ES has done some excellent 5.1's...

Are you saying you're not keen on the mixes but he's done lots of other stuff that's great, or that you're not keen on R.E.M. in general?

Are you saying you're not keen on the mixes but he's done lots of other stuff that's great, or that you're not keen on R.E.M. in general?

ah, apologies for lack of clarity.

I meant the R.E.M. ES mixes not the band, hence my list of other great ES mixes by other acts that are worthwhile.. more than that, that little lot are fine examples of surround music imho :)

do you have any/all those 15 other ES mixes I mentioned, Mike?

fwiw, I prefer the mixes on the later R.E.M. albums ES did in 5.1, why/how I don't know I don't play any of them often enough to analyse it all but that was my basic listening impression.

Automatic for the People is my (sentimental) fave...

Document isn't bad, but it lacks the production of the later (more popular) albums (Out of Time & Automatic)...

"It's the end of the world as we know it" when Fredblue doesn't want a 5.1 mix.... ;)

ah, apologies for lack of clarity.

I meant the R.E.M. ES mixes not the band, hence my list of other great ES mixes by other acts that are worthwhile.. more than that, that little lot are fine examples of surround music imho :)

do you have any/all those 15 other ES mixes I mentioned, Mike?

fwiw, I prefer the mixes on the later R.E.M. albums ES did in 5.1, why/how I don't know I don't play any of them often enough to analyse it all but that was my basic listening impression.

That's really helpful to know. I feel the same way about the later R.E.M. albums. I only have Hotel California from the list you gave, and thought it sounded great - like how album was meant to sound after all these years. It really worked for me.

Winelight is on my look out list, so hopefully when it appears within import duty limits...

That's really helpful to know. I feel the same way about the later R.E.M. albums. I only have Hotel California from the list you gave, and thought it sounded great - like how album was meant to sound after all these years. It really worked for me.

anytime :) I've been casually buying this surround music stuff since back when DTS first came out but my DVD-A & SACD buying has accelerated to fever pitch the last 5-ish years, so I may be able to help out with any Qns on this kinda stuff, there are lots of v.well informed members here who can give you all sorts of great info, I'm just another helpful member (y)

Winelight is on my look out list, so hopefully when it appears within import duty limits...

For me Winelight's a must! Easily one of the best Surround Music mixes I've ever heard.

Of those 15 Elliot Scheiner winners, my standouts are..

Grover Washington Jr. - Winelight (DVD-A),
America - Homecoming (DVD-A),
Steely Dan - Gaucho (SACD/DVD-A),
Beck - Sea Change (SACD/DVD-A/BD-A),
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly (SACD/DVD-A),
Boz Scaggs - Dig (DVD-A),
Van Morrison - Moondance (BD-A).

1. Grover Washington Jr. - Winelight (DVD-A),
2. America - Homecoming (DVD-A),
3. Steely Dan - Gaucho (SACD/DVD-A/DTS CD),
4. Beck - Sea Change (SACD/DVD-A/DTS CD),
5. Donald Fagen - The Nightfly (SACD/DVD-A),
6. Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad (DVD-A),
7. Steely Dan - Everything Must Go (DVD-A),
8. Toto - IV (SACD),
9. Eagles - Hotel California (SACD/DVD-A),
10. Nature Boy - Aaron Neville (SACD/DVD-A),
11. Boz Scaggs - Dig (DVD-A),
12. Derek & The Dominos - Layla (DTS DVD-V in SDE),
13. Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard (BD-A in SDE),
14. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Southern Surroundings (DVD-A),
15. Van Morrison - Moondance (BDA in SDE).

Have you heard ES's 5.1 mix of Toy Matinee? It was one of the first DVD-A's I bought. Incredible mix, IMHO! For me a reference disc. :51banana:

Hotel California is another amazing mix! I would love to hear Moondance. The others are not my cup of tea. I'm sure they sound wonderful though.

Have you heard ES's 5.1 mix of Toy Matinee? It was one of the first DVD-A's I bought. Incredible mix, IMHO! For me a reference disc. :51banana:

Hotel California is another amazing mix! I would love to hear Moondance. The others are not my cup of tea. I'm sure they sound wonderful though.

Yes! I have the Toy Matinee DVD-A, forgot all about it :eek: Thanks for the reminder, I'll give it a spin (y)

The others I listed are mostly of an oeuvre (Steely Dan, Don Fagen, Toto, Boz Scaggs..) but you might be pleasantly surprised by giving them a try and may even turn you onto something different :)

I would've most likely never bought a Grover Washington Jr. or Aaron Neville album if it wasn't for them being in 5.1.. I've since warmed more to that kind of stuff but the surround mixes, oh the mixes on those discs, they are just.. wonderful.. words almost can't describe how terrific things like Gaucho, Winelight and Homecoming are in 5.1..!! :worthy :wave :worthy

Actually I always mean to get a copy of Sea Changes. If I could find some of those other titles cheap, I might give them a go! Thanks.

I'm a big Kevin Gilbert fan. I hope the Toy Matinee disc brings back good memories!

Back