6 Dylan Albums In Multichannel SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Sony Music provided an update on their plans to release 15 Bob Dylan albums in single inventory, Hybrid SACD disc format this summer.

Of interest was the decision to change 2 of the titles in the line up. And to issue 6 of the 15 titles in Hybrid Multichannel SACD form rather than issue all 15 in Hybrid Stereo SACD format as originally planned.

See the story on High Fidelity Review at
www.highfidelityreview.co...r=19366243 for more details.

Okay this is really good news and is very positive. I hope the surround titles outsell the stereo titles. It sounds like a good experiment on Sony's part. I will no doubt be picking up some or perhaps all of the multichannel titles if in fact they are surround and not just stereo with ambience in the rears. Glad I put off that purchase of Blonde on Blonde in stereo only.

You still might want to pick up a copy of the stereo-only disc, since if I'm not mistaken (and I often am, so don't take my word for it), the new hybrid disc will have yet another new stereo mix (along with the M/C mix). So the stereo-only disc, which I assume will shortly go out of print, will have an exclusive stereo mix not found elsewhere. Like I said, I could very well be wrong about that, but I could have sworn I read that (on this board, I think).

I'm also curious which stereo mix of "Street Legal" they're intending on using - the original mix, or the remix they released a couple years ago. Hopefully the original - the new one sounds great, but from a completist/historical perspective, I'd prefer a cleaned-up master of the original release, rather than a marginally-improved version of the new mix. Either way, it'd be nice to know which CD in my current collection I can unload!

Back