HiRez Poll Band - THE LAST WALTZ [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Band - THE LAST WALTZ

• Total voters
Technically it is a 5.1 but the listening experience is only the 3 front speakers and the sub. There is music piped into the rears but it is duplication of the front channels so you don't hear it anyway. Still a highlight for me is Joni Mitchell's performance of Coyote - simply spellbinding. And, as mentioned, included on the disc is the Last Waltz Suite: 5 in-studio songs that are nice 5.1 mixes. The only live disc that I know of where they captured a true 5.1 surround mix is Roy Orbison: Black and White Night.

Technically it is a 5.1 but the listening experience is only the 3 front speakers and the sub. There is music piped into the rears but it is duplication of the front channels so you don't hear it anyway. Still a highlight for me is Joni Mitchell's performance of Coyote - simply spellbinding. And, as mentioned, included on the disc is the Last Waltz Suite: 5 in-studio songs that are nice 5.1 mixes. The only live disc that I know of where they captured a true 5.1 surround mix is Roy Orbison: Black and White Night.

There is definitely discrete stuff happening in the rear channels on the DVD-A. Check out the Staples vocals in the rear on The Weight.

Just listened to this DVDA last night. I believe Robbie Robertson remixed this for the DVDA release - and it shows. Excellent surround mix!

I dig this DVD-A. Gave it an 8. Not perfect, but incredibly well produced.

I have really been enjoying the 5.1 and 2.0 mixes of Live At The Academy Of Music 1971. Good stuff!

I got a little manic yesterday and ordered the DVD-A and the MOFI stereo Hybrid SACD of The Last Waltz. I have the Blu Ray Video. I'm a broken record but I love DVD-A's and think I may have all that where made, that I like, there may be a couple that I don't have. I know some people give MOFI a bad time, but I love there simplicity and there business model and staying true to there beliefs. I love there stereo hybrids, lots of rock music that I can listen to at home and car.

I got a little manic yesterday and ordered the DVD-A and the MOFI stereo Hybrid SACD of The Last Waltz. I have the Blu Ray Video. I'm a broken record but I love DVD-A's and think I may have all that where made, that I like, there may be a couple that I don't have. I know some people give MOFI a bad time, but I love there simplicity and there business model and staying true to there beliefs. I love there stereo hybrids, lots of rock music that I can listen to at home and car.

Mark I don't have the MoFi SACD to compare it with but the multichannel DVD~A of The Last Waltz is fantastic. Glad you could find one. Enjoy and as you said, you can play the hybrid SACD in your car.

Mark I don't have the MoFi SACD to compare it with but the multichannel DVD~A of The Last Waltz is fantastic. Glad you could find one. Enjoy and as you said, you can play the hybrid SACD in your car.

Agree(y)

For a live recording (Clint, take note) this is a superb surround mix, I gave it a nine.

And all the better as Robbie Robertson did the surround mix.Always a bonus when the artist is involved. :)

Doesn't sound alike; to me the DVD/A is better; when you hear the Staple Singers singin' "the Weight", you'll think they're in the room with you.

Doesn't sound alike; to me the DVD/A is better; when you hear the Staple Singers singin' "the Weight", you'll think they're in the room with you.

That track is from "The Last Waltz Suite" which is comprised of 5 studio tracks that are added on to the end of the dvd-audio disc. I don't know if they are on the blu-ray.

That track is from "The Last Waltz Suite" which is comprised of 5 studio tracks that are added on to the end of the dvd-audio disc. I don't know if they are on the blu-ray.

No they are not.

And it makes this dvda all that more special. It does not contain the song "Do It"which is the last song they played that day but is the first song on the dvd and bluray edition.

Well, I get the same feeling from the bluray - I guess it is the same mix... makes no sense if it is not, does it?

....where this disc shines is the "THE LAST WALTZ SUITE", which is a handful of tunes done on a soundstage and not in front of an audience. Here, Robbie Robertson has created a very "Scheiner" like surround mix, with very discrete placement of vocals and instruments all throughout the 5 audio channels which makes for a demo quality surround experience.

The tracks "Evangeline" which guests Emmylou Harris and "The Weight" which guests "The Staples" are standout to the point that they deserve inclusion on any surround sound demo disc.

If you have this disc collecting dust on your shelf like I did, take it out and give it a spin...

I thought I had listened to this before, but as with Jon I had a bit of a voyage of discovery tonight.

The concert portion, mix-wise, is standard live fare. While it is not entirely audience and ambience in the rears, the music in the rears tends to appear in the fronts as well. So some stuff is fronts only, the rest is both fronts and rears.

Many have said the clarity is better than other versions. I cannot speak to the comparison, but I can say it is very clear. Just in terms of surround, 3/4 of the disc is not an immersive mix.

As noted, The Last Waltz Suite is AWESOME. So if you have this disc, pull it out and go to Track 25: The Well. From here to the end you will find a wonderfully clear and immersive mix - of studio tracks, not live. As far as I know, this disc is the only source for these tracks. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

These days, this disc is not cheap, so you will have to hunt hard to find a bargain. But the final tracks make it worth the effort even if you are not a huge fan, and if you are a fan, this guy is a no-brainer.

I give it an 8, and if all tracks were like the final 6 (and the first track as well), then it would be an easy 10. This is 23% incredible, and 77% very good (for clarity).

I would second FourPlay's comments on this except giving it a 9 because I am unreconstructed fan of The Band (put them in my personal top 3 all timers...). I never picked this up back in its retail price days but was fortunate to find a deal from one of our esteemed members. So thank you Gabel. (y)

I bought this DVD-A on day 1 & still enjoy it, but once I heard the on-stage banter/antics etc., I decided I had to see what was going on, so I bought the DVD-Video version too. I enjoy both DVDs, for me they are like church, unmissable, if one is a believer :)

Back