HiRez Poll Cobham, Billy - SPECTRUM [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Billy Cobham - SPECTRUM

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this December 2001 release from WB/Rhino, the 5.1 DVD-A version of Billy Cobham's SPECTRUM album.

This poll thread is exclusively for the 5.1 Rhino mix. If you wish to comment on the 2016 SACD release of the album containing the unreleased 1974 quadraphonic (4.0) mix, please make your comments in that discs poll thread,
located HERE: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?21720

This thread is for the DVD-A only!!!!

Cobham Spectrum Front.jpgCobham Spectrum Back.jpg

Last edited:
A great fusion album with incredible playing. I actually didnt hear this album until 2 years after it was released in 1973 and I hit high school but I play it all the time. The sound on the DVD-A is really nice with a pretty aggresive mix. I would love to hear some other Billy in 5.1. I would rate this a solid 9.

Bob Romano said:
A great fusion album with incredible playing. I actually didnt hear this album until 2 years after it was released in 1973 and I hit high school but I play it all the time. The sound on the DVD-A is really nice with a pretty aggresive mix. I would love to hear some other Billy in 5.1. I would rate this a solid 9.
This album includes Tommy Bolin as well is that right? If so how much is on it?

This is the album that introduced me to a lifelong love of fusion, and it is still the album I always come back to (along with Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Inner Mounting Flame").

The DVD-A surround mix offers incredible resolution. It sounds better than I ever remember hearing it.

The surround mix is quite good, but ultimately lacking. It just pains me that this could have been so much better. I want to give it a 10 but must settle on 8.

I don't care about the mix!!! This is about the music, one of my all time favorite lp's. Billy Cobham, Jan Hammer and Tommy Bolin, need I say anything more??? These guys really cook, too bad we couldn't get more :( The fidelity on this DVD is outstanding! A must have for any fusion lovers like me :)

kumquad

I had another listen to this now that i have finally got my Vega Sub tuned more to my liking:D . This is emersive and solid with a great mix and sonics. It is a little thin on the LFE so pump the sub up little for great improvment. Gave a 7 now 8.5.:smokin

This has been one of my favorite albums for awhile, by one of my favorite drummers. Upon first listen it did not excite me, so I'll have to wait until everyone is gone so I can turn it up and enjoy. As others have said, fidelity is great.

Phenomenal!

If you like fusion, like Herbie Hancock style music, this is one to get.
Very good mix, good use of surrounds, good songs. Funky but not weird & MUCH more listenable than Mahavisnu Orch, where Cobham started. I agree the bass could use a boost, but I give this a 9.

ss9001

missed out on commenting this one, but had this record back in the 70's after seeing a live show at Hamilton college with most of the same artists on spectrum. missing lows nice album, ok mix

When Cobham got togeather with this group, the Guitar player, Tommy Bolin was handed the music they were about to practice. Tommy looked at it (he had never read music before). He told Billy Cobham it might as well have been in Chinese, he couldn't read it. Well, luckily they went ahead and played togeather. Tommy ad libbed thru it as he always did. Billy was amazed. He found out what a great guitar player Tommy was. Tommy went on to a solo career, played with Deep Purple, etc.
Unfortunately, Tommy died from a drug overdose in the 70's. Check out his solo albums; great! What a loss.

I own also this DVD Audio mof "Spectrum". But I habe never seen the announced CD-4 record. Know's anybody here, if a CD-4 record of spectrum really exist? I have two tracks on tape from Spectrum as the original quadraphonic mix. For example "Quadrant 4" was some better listening with more clear position of front and rear players. Why sometimes new surround mixes, when a well quadraphonic mixdown already exist. Or are the mastertapes lost? May be.

Dietrich

Is this a significant upgrade over the DTS CD? One would expect the usual gain in transparency and low-end with the (presumably) higher sampling/bit numbers. The DTS CD is quite good, btw. It's only 44.1k but is a full 5.1 and the surround channels are well-used.

The surround mix is good but I really like the way the drums were recorded and that is what this album is really about.
Phil: I diasagree. To me it's more about Tommy Bolin, the legendary Guitarist. He even blew Billy Cobham away with his ad lib guitar. Nothing wrong with the Drumming. It is excellent, also.

I have to keep turning up the treble and bass(almost all the way!!!) every time I listened to this DVD-A..To me , it sounds flat as a pancake: granted, the LP sounded the same , but they could have beefed it up a bit for the Hi Res Surround...that "Fibes" transparent drumset did not sound good at all, it sounded like..PLASTIC!!!..considering that at the time , drummers like Bonzo could make a kit sound HUGE(even a transparent kit)!!!! And I'm positive Billy hit those suckers with all of his might!!

Now , the music...ahhhh...first rate...Jan Hammer playing electric gtr on synth ;) , Tommy Bolin playing his heart out (may he RIP)...truly a "Tour de Force" !!!

At least the rears are active, so..

Music; 10
Mix: 6 (cause of the rears...the EQ SUCKS!!!)

:smokin

Back