HiRez Poll Firesign Theater - BOOM DOT BUST [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Firesign Theater - BOOM DOT BUST

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

This is pretty decent, but not near as good as their 2 Q8's {which i would rate both a 10}. The story is fair and the surround mix is good, I gave it an 8, which may be a little on the high side, unless you like Firesign Theater.

As a long time fan, I had to go with a 7; the mix is very good but this is not their best work. We all love the old classics, but I have to say that the two albums done after Boom Dot Bust are really *much* better than Boom. More focused material that resonates through the absudrities if our daily lives in a similar way as the classic albums.

Don't know if they'll ever be released in surround, but Give Me Immortality or Give Me Death OR The Bride of Firesign are a total blast at least partly in the past. Familar references are used to great effect, great charactors, some of them you'll recognize.

Boom Dot Bust has some great moments but squanders the opportunity IMHO. Tornados are fun in 5.1 no question about that.

I can truthfully say I listened to the I Think We're All Bozos On This Bus Q8 tape 75-100 times. "How can we best illustrate the stubborn consistentcy of this eternal principle? By walking down this shady New England lane......." [are we off the air?]

The story and action did not hold my interest like Firesign's earlier work. The use of surround is somewhat entertaining but is not enough to prop up the storyline. I dunno, I think this title is pretty much a yawn-fest. It does have some moments, though, so I gave it a 5.

Yes, where is NICK DANGER in surround when you need him? :D

Back