HiRez Poll Yes - MAGNIFICATION [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Yes - MAGNIFICATION

• Total voters
Tell us all how you really feel why donchya... ;) I guess you must detest a fair number of Columbia & Epic Quad mixes (Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow in Quad is another one where the two pairs are cooking away with great separation but arguably less integration going on.).

Tell us all how you really feel why donchya... ;) I guess you must detest a fair number of Columbia & Epic Quad mixes (Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow in Quad is another one where the two pairs are cooking away with great separation but arguably less integration going on.).

There's certain exceptions of course.

Has there been any talk or juicy rumors/rumours(dual spelling to cover American and British folks) of the Magnification album being re-done by Steven Wilson as the DVD-A seems to have a lot of detractors concerning the mix?

I really love this album.
Unfortunately the 5.1 mix has too much reverb.
But this is after the 70s classics my next preference to redo a proper 5.1 mix.
This album has a lot of potential.

Finally I found this one for a decent price. I really like it. Of course it's not "Tales" or even "Going for the one"; but it's OK. I'm really missing the keyboards, though. Sound quality is very good and I enjoy the surround mix. I'm giving it 7 points.

Digging this! I mostly think you get what you need from this album on the JVC sampler, but not entirely so. I've had a DTS conversion for years. It's possible the Advanced Resolution does it for me a little better.
I'm not hearing the annoying issues some have reported. Mix feels well-balanced to me.
I like having the orchestra separate from the band. Like Metallica - S&M. It's nice to distinguish the parts. Though the orchestra is often in the fronts here, folks!

Views are mixed on this long out of print and somewhat expensive disc(in Canada, the $50 shipped I paid is a good deal), but I think there's a more cohesive soundscape than people give this credit for. I can hear horns and strings up front at various points on We Agree, for example. The backing vocals end up in the rears as do large portions of the orchestra at times, but I can recall on other songs Howe coming from the rears. Mag is a top tier Yes album, probably as underrated as Talk and this disc is really great. 9!

It may not be the most adventurous mix or up to the standards of the Steve Wilson remixes but the mix and fidelity here is plenty good. Nothing obviously wrong with the fidelity. No volume war treble blast mastering. The only problem here is the band had just absolutely nothing to say. Really empty of content for a Yes album. All the recent (well... last decade at this point) offerings are light on content but at least have some moments. This one is the big empty. Plenty decent enough discrete surround mix with fidelity on point but it doesn't save it.

Get the sampler EP from this instead! You'll still skip the Magnification tracks but it has the track Homeworld from The Ladder and it's the ONLY place to find that track in surround. (And it was one of the interesting cuts on that album.) Only surround mix from that album ever released to my knowledge.

Back