HiRez Poll Orbison, Roy - BLACK & WHITE NIGHT [SACD/DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A/BDA of Roy Orbison - BLACK AND WHITE NIGHT

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters
Best DVD-A I ever heard
Have the INHD video show, in High-Def, & 5.1 Surround/AWESOME!
Kept it on my SA 8300HD/DVR
Hope my STB doesn't go haywire
LOVE THIS SHOW!(y) :banana:

I just received BOTH the DVD-A and the SACD package from Overstock.com. I added scans of the covers and the stickers up at post #1.

Very cool that they produced both HiRez formats. Too bad they didn't do more titles this way.

This is a true reference-quality hi-rez title, and the concert is a classic imo. I own the DVD/SACD, but I am sure the DVD-A is great as well. An easy 10 for me.

I'd highly recommend picking up at least one of the SACD or DVD-A before these disappear.

I just ordered the darn thing yesterday. I don't know how I missed this release almost 20 months ago but I did. I am looking forward to the DVD-Audio and I am encouraged by the other votes and comments.

I decided to get the SACD. I think an SACD Hybrid/DVD-V set is a terrific way to present a great concert, all bases are covered. At least until we have high resolution concerts available on one of the new formats, SACD/DVD-V is my favorite by far. Can't offer as much with CD/DVD-V or CD/DVD-A or DVD-V/DVD-A since those either miss out on the concert in DVD-V or redbook CD. I wish the best concerts were all available as SACD/DVD-V! A 10 for the SACD and it is even better to have the fine DVD-V included.

Chris

A solid 10. Great use of surround with instruments in the back, which we rarely hear from concert footage. And yet there is enough of an ambient feel that we KNOW we'll listening to a live concert. And the video of the concert is a MUST. I'd recommend starting with the video, then listening to the hi-res disc. Then, you'll get a better context of who is singing and playing with Roy in the different songs.

As I posted last year, this is still true reference quality stuff. It gets reinforced every time I pop this SACD in my player. I don't quite know what they did on this release, but the sonics and mix are so smooth, open and airy, that it really puts most other hi-rez titles to shame. If only other companies and engineers could take a page from this release...

As I posted last year, this is still true reference quality stuff. It gets reinforced every time I pop this SACD in my player. I don't quite know what they did on this release, but the sonics and mix are so smooth, open and airy, that it really puts most other hi-rez titles to shame. If only other companies and engineers could take a page from this release...

Two words: Elliot Scheiner! :smokin

I had never been compelled purchase anything from Roy Orbison before but the rave reviews in this thread pushed me into. I got the SACD package and have no regrets. Roy and company sound great as does the 5.1 mix. "Crying" is truly amazing. Tower.com still has both the SACD and DVDA versions for a really nice price. You can't tell what's what from their descriptions but the UPC/EAN can help you sort it out.

Finally got around to playing this over the weekend. I had the original DVD-V release of this, then replaced it with the DVD-V/A package.
Love the DVD-A. I give it a 10/10
However I am mixed on the DVD-V. The video I give an 8, The audio I give a 10. But the mix I give a 5. Why? Because although I am the #1 fan of discreet, surround-and-conquer mixes for music releases (like the DVD-A or SACD), for a concert video, it drives me crazy when I have the video of the back-up singers in front of me, but their voices come from the rear! For concerts, the only thing that shoud be in the rear is ambience and audience noise/applause.

...for a concert video, it drives me crazy when I have the video of the back-up singers in front of me, but their voices come from the rear! For concerts, the only thing that shoud be in the rear is ambience and audience noise/applause.
I hear ya! However, it is unrealistic to expect that the audio mix of a concert is going to jive with the video mix. If the two did mesh realistically, then every time the camera focused on one band member, the audio focus would shift as well. And every time they show an audience shot, the band would come from the rear with the audience from the front. You know what I mean? I can handle the visual jumps but the audio mix should remain relatively constant.

I know this doesn't directly address your complaint, but we deal with inconsistencies between the video and audio all the time, unless it really is a static stage video.

Ah, but I digress... Okay, so maybe it doesn't sound exactly as it would of if "you were there". No, I'm sure it sounds better. MUCH better!

Accurate or not, this is the best live surround mix I've ever heard. The performances are spectacular and the fidelity is phenomenal. This is an absolutely stunning disc. Thank you Mr. Scheiner for taking a few liberties with acoustical reality and giving us this gem! 10 points!

:bounce

Accurate or not, this is the best live surround mix I've ever heard. The performances are spectacular and the fidelity is phenomenal. This is an absolutely stunning disc. Thank you Mr. Scheiner for taking a few liberties with acoustical reality and giving us this gem! 10 points!
:bounce

Agreed. And with this package, you can enjoy the concert in DVD/DTS format or the music in SACD Surround Sound.

A winner either way.

Another point to make is that you CAN adjust the soundfield more to your liking--if you don't dig certain things in the rears--by moving the rears more toward the front(preferred by some listeners of MC regardless of this consideration, though we don't discuss it much). The notion that your rears HAVE to be behind you is no more logical than saying that you can't listen to stereo by putting, say, the left speaker in front of you and the right speaker directly behind(an odd thing to do, perhaps, but since we hear everything AROUND us, it still works, if you let it).

ED :)

The SA-CD is excellent all around.

It's nice they threw in a DVD to help sell it. :)

The price of the set is worth the SA-CD alone.

I just got this, based on the comments here on this site! :rolleyes:

I got the DVD-A version - which doesn't seem to have any DVD-V content on it... interesting!

I'll have to use this as one of my references to show people the benefits of surround music. Its awesome!!!:cool:

Last edited:
Back